Puddle under door of Sanyo 4912 kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouT

Can't wait to go AG...
Reaction score
Anyone else notice this situation with their Sanyo conversion? I have a 4912 conversion w/2 tap tower, and the door shelving removed and replaced with chalkboard material. From what I can tell the door seals very well. I went about one month straight or longer without opening the door, this past summer. Upon moving the kegerator for (house) cleaning a few weeks ago I discovered a dried-up puddle. Puzzled at first, I looked for a leak of liquid inside the kegerator and found none. A few days later I noticed a wet puddle just under the door. Again, no liquid leaks in the fridge. But I ran my hand along the door and felt it to be wet. I'm thinking that this is condensation that is condensing on the back of the chalkboard I installed (to replace the plastic shelving and allow more internal room in the kegerator).
Anyone else with converted 4912s experiencing this? Ideas to solve?

Anyone else? I assume the backer for the dry erase board is the same peg-board looking stuff that is the backer for my chalkboard.
Does the condensation mean that I must have a major air leak?
I'm surprised that you aren't getting any of this if you have a blower to cool your tap tower... I'd think that would make for more external air getting into the inside of the kegerator.

I do have a small amount of condensation that drains into the little pan on the back of the fridge over the compressor, but that's all I've seen.

here in new orleans we have a lot of issues with the condensation pan under the fridge overflowing because of the humidity. if you have a blower that might introduce extra air into the fridge, that humidity might be getting pulled into the drain pan and making it overflow. it shouldn't be an issue for the fridge itself; check underneath and see if there is a drain pan you can empty periodically.

This seems like it's condensing in the door, behind the panel that I used to replace the stock shelves. Panel is not showing condensation on the chalkboard side, but the drip coming out from the bottom of the door gasket is brown water so I'm thinking it's condensing on the back of the chalkboard (which is like pegboard material). I don't understand this unless I have some air leaking back between the door insulation and the back of the chalkboard. I guess I'll pull it apart this weekend and seal it up w/silicone or something. Odd nobody else has had this problem, maybe I did a crummy job with my gasket installation...

I've had the same situation with my Sanyo conversion, and I did not remove the door shelving. (Reserved for swmbo's BMC) It only happened once when the humidity was up near 80% (miserable) I dismissed it as a fluke, hope I'm not wrong about that.

This has been happening with normal 60% RH environment -- living room of house, not muggy weather. I'm sure it was worse when muggy, all I see is the brown stain on the floor where this had been overlooked for quite some time.

Ok, I just had a (probably) dumb thought. I never leveled mine, just plunked it in place. Could it be pitched wrong?

OK, took everything out of the kegerator today. The back plate is thick with ice behind and especially beneath it. The water appears to be condensation from the back plate, that is dripping to the front and leaking out the door.

So, comment about leveling the fridge -- great point, I need to do that.
Secondly -- the drain hole plugged with ice. I think some door seal problems have been causing the fridge to run more than it should normally need to -- so it's freezing up at the evaporator coils (back plate) and also lots of condensation due to outside air leaking in. Need to repair seal on door.
Wondering if a small fan inside, just to circulate the air and make a more uniform internal temp, might help matters...

Back