Replacement for Sanyo 4912?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danb35

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I once built a kegerator out of a Sanyo 4912. Then, foolishly, I sold it, during a long hiatus from brewing. I'd now like to replace it, but of course that model's discontinued--and while I've found a few threads asking about a replacement, I don't see a replacement model, and searching around on Best Buy, Lowe's, and Hope Depot doesn't find anything quite comparable, though it's complicated by the fact that I don't see any of them listing internal dimensions (just cu ft capacity, which doesn't directly answer the question).

The closest I see at Lowe's are the Maxximum MAXBC52SD (5.2 cu ft, just a little larger than the 4.9 of the Sanyo) and the Hisense LCR44D6NVE (4.4 cu ft). The Hisense is considerably less expensive (just over half the cost), so it'd be great if it'd do the job, but the loss of half a cubic foot concerns me. Stock looks like it's hard to find, so measuring in person may be difficult. Does anyone know if either of these (or something else out there) would do the job? I'd want to fit two Corny kegs and a 5-lb CO2 tank, though if necessary I might be able to run the CO2 through the wall.

I'm biased because I have one, but I like the Komos at More Beer over what I'm looking at Home Depot. I didn't look at Lowe's but I'm assuming the offerings are no different. The cheapest one at HD has a 7 level temp control, cheap taps, and a single inlet for your gas line.

By comparison, the Komos gives you a digital control, Intertap or Nukatap faucets, and two inlets for two separate gas lines. The inlets also allow you to screw in a carb cap so you can plug in the gas line via ball lock disconnect. The Komos is about a couple of hundred higher than the cheapest one at Home Depot, but the additional space and better taps would be worth it to me. Again, my biased opinion as I have one.

Another option is a DIY keezer using a chest freezer and temp control. I highly recommend looking at the "Show Us Your Keezer" thread if you've even remotely thought about that route.

I'd looked at pre-made kegerators, and it's entirely possible I wouldn't save much by DIY when all's said and done--but (1) DIY means I can build it the way I want it, e.g., with Perlick faucets and such; and (2) DIY means I can spread the cost out a bit--I can start with just the fridge and kegs, and use Cobra taps for dispensing, and then build out the rest of it over time. So the hope was/is a mini-fridge that will hold the two kegs, and add the rest from there.

OTOH, a 7 cu ft chest freezer is cheap (more so than either of the candidate fridges I mentioned), and building a collar is well within my skill (and tool) set--and it seems like that should have space for 4+ kegs rather than two. And I guess I could build the collar and still wait on shanks and faucets for a bit...

Might as well close this out--morebeer.com's "free keg with purchase" pushed me over the edge, so I pulled the trigger on the 4-tap Komos a few weeks back. Can't say anything about how well it holds up long-term, but it working well now, and it's convenient to have a more-or-less turnkey solution.

Might as well close this out--morebeer.com's "free keg with purchase" pushed me over the edge, so I pulled the trigger on the 4-tap Komos a few weeks back. Can't say anything about how well it holds up long-term, but it working well now, and it's convenient to have a more-or-less turnkey solution.

It's coming up a year for me with my Komos. So far so good.

Congrats on the purchase.

Back