Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smoking a Hereford brand center-cut brisket today, 6lbs. I bought it at Woodman's, standard for them but a new brand to me, and google tells me they range from upper 2/3 choice to prime. Not sure where it puts my purchase at on the scale from choice to prime, but at $6.99/lb I'm hoping it leans more toward prime. Photos to follow.

Smoking a Hereford brand center-cut brisket today, 6lbs. I bought it at Woodman's, standard for them but a new brand to me, and google tells me they range from upper 2/3 choice to prime. Not sure where it puts my purchase at on the scale from choice to prime, but at $6.99/lb I'm hoping it leans more toward prime. Photos to follow.
Let's gooooo. Do it. Do everything in your power not to dry out your brisket (which I do like it's religion).

I’m smoking some pastrami right now. I grabbed a couple corned beefs when they went on sale after St. Patrick’s Day. My rub is:

3/4 cup kosher salt
3/4 cup black peppercorns, ground
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated garlic
1/4 cup granulated onion
3 tbsp coriander seed, ground
1 tbsp celery seed, ground
1 tbsp mustard seed, ground

The rub is just me winging it off the top of my head. Does that seem right to anyone else or am I way off base? I want the main flavors to be the pepper and coriander, and the others because they taste good. The sugar is just in there to help it stick. Pit masters out there, it will taste good, but is it pastrami?

Attachments

• 2D67CD7C-7F4C-4693-A6B5-C9DD49DE8870.jpeg
    2D67CD7C-7F4C-4693-A6B5-C9DD49DE8870.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • CFD20654-1C55-4569-9CB5-3D361623F31D.jpeg
    CFD20654-1C55-4569-9CB5-3D361623F31D.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 87930B72-7E97-4354-8AED-D7548C0BFED5.jpeg
    87930B72-7E97-4354-8AED-D7548C0BFED5.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 066701E8-B3EB-4510-A239-F8DDBE87B22D.jpeg
    066701E8-B3EB-4510-A239-F8DDBE87B22D.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I’m smoking some pastrami right now. I grabbed a couple corned beefs when they went on sale after St. Patrick’s Day. My rub is:

3/4 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated onion

The rub is just me winging it off the top of my head. Does that seem right to anyone else or am I way off base. I want the main flavors to be the pepper and coriander, and the others because they taste good. The sugar is just in there to help it stick. Pit masters out there, it will taste good, but is it pastrami?
I would not add any additional salt to a pastrami if it was already corned.

Beyond that, IMO, the only important spices are pepper and coriander. The rest of them might be great, I wouldn't know.

Last edited:
I have Passover starting tomorrow. My in-laws are bringing brisket tomorrow night, but I'm planning on smoking one for Thursday. I use a slightly modified Montreal Smoked Meat seasoning for it - mostly Steak Spice, plus additional garlic powder and crushed coriander seed.
Preferably smoked over Hickory and Pecan, maybe a couple chunks of mesquite in there. I don't like too much mesquite, it gives a bit of a chemical taste to me.

3/4 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated onion

The rub is just me winging it off the top of my head. Does that seem right to anyone else or am I way off base? I want the main flavors to be the pepper and coriander, and the others because they taste good. The sugar is just in there to help it stick. Pit masters out there, it will taste good, but is it pastrami?
Sounds amazing! 👏
Only thing I'd skip next time is the salt, but honestly, I really doubt you'd notice. Good call on the celery seed, Chicagoan here and we loooove that $#!t.

3/4 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated onion

I think that rub sounds good as well. Just omit the salt in the future. Corned beef is salty to start with. I soak mine in water overnight to reduce the saltyness. I just made a couple pastramis last weekend with some after St Paddys day sale corned beefs. Apparently my temp probe was off or not reading correctly. I pulled by temp(203F) and not probe tender. That is some TOUGH pastrami! :( Worst batch I ever made! It taste good though. I steamed it for 30 minutes to try and tenderize it for reubens. It didn't help much.

I am sorry for you, and glad you are ok.
Thanks. The tree was about 10 feet away from my office/brewery, but fortunately it fell towards the house. This was my view out the door

20230109_083100.jpg

Anyway, I'm in the market for a new smoker. What are people using these days? I was using a Weber Smokey Mountain but it seems like an opportunity for an update. With the 18in top it was hard to do more than just a single rack of ribs.

Thanks. The tree was about 10 feet away from my office/brewery, but fortunately it fell towards the house. This was my view out the door

View attachment 816934

Anyway, I'm in the market for a new smoker. What are people using these days? I was using a Weber Smokey Mountain but it seems like an opportunity for an update. With the 18in top it was hard to do more than just a single rack of ribs.

How much do you want to cook at one time and how hands on do you want to be? Completely hands-off would be a pellet smoker. You can set it and walk away doing something else. A stick burning will need a log thrown on every 30 to 40 minutes. A charcoal and wood smoker can be either hands-on or hands-off. I have an insulated verticle charcoal smoker, a humphrey's, and it works great. It is controlled by a temp sensor and a fan. I also have a big stick burner on a trailer. Most often I use a 22" Weber kettle as it is big enough for my just family.

So I would recommend how hands-on do you want to be first. I like to be hands-on as much as possible, I like to brew that way too. It makes me take a mental break from work because it keeps me busy. Others like set and forget. It is up to you. Then, what kind of smoker would go with that style? If you say we could make some recommendations. Lastly is the easy part, how big of a chosen type of smoker to get.

If you would like feel free to private message me if you would like to discuss more. Smoking meat is my other hobby.

View attachment 816934

I kinda miss my Smokey Mountain. Painted it like R2-D2... called him Bar2-BQ. I went with a Kamado Joe upon replacement time. Great grill - highly recommend.

Depends what you want it to be capable of and how much you want to spend.

If it's a pure smoker, you liked the WSM, and you just want something bigger, I'd recommend an Ugly Drum Smoker or UDS. Operation will be roughly the same as the WSM, but capacity higher, and potentially less expensive if you can source an acceptable 55 gal drum for cheap.

If you want something that doubles as a grill, or if you want to go hardcore into a stickburning offset, or if you decide a pellet pooper is the way, or if you don't like the vertical nature of the WSM, there are TONS of options out there. When I did it, I went Kamado Joe, as it was going to become my primary grill, not just a smoker. On the Big Joe (24" round grate) I can fit three racks of baby backs without a rib rack, which is enough to feed my family. I can also fit 4x pork butts, or a large brisket, w/o issue.

So you may need to more tightly define your needs/wants a little more if you want more recommendations.

3/4 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated onion

I smoked a couple packers last week for my restaurant. I use Michael Ruhlman’s recipe. The thing that stands out to me is the amounts of granulated garlic, onion and celery salt might be a bit much. As someone already pointed out more salt might not be a good thing either.That said, you’re in the ballpark for sure.
I go to 175f for internal temp, chill, and shave on a slicer. Reheat on a griddle.

Last edited:
Going big this weekend, gents. Got a 19# packer. That's a 12 lb point ready for a good sugar cookie of some S&P and about 15 hours on post oak and a 4 lb flat waiting in the dugout to be brined and corned beef-ed-ed in a few weeks.

No, no, no... my math isn't off. That 3 extra pounds is the fat cap that is waiting its turn to join a pork butt in the grinder for some sweet, sweet brats.

Depends what you want it to be capable of and how much you want to spend.

If it's a pure smoker, you liked the WSM, and you just want something bigger, I'd recommend an Ugly Drum Smoker or UDS. Operation will be roughly the same as the WSM, but capacity higher, and potentially less expensive if you can source an acceptable 55 gal drum for cheap.

If you want something that doubles as a grill, or if you want to go hardcore into a stickburning offset, or if you decide a pellet pooper is the way, or if you don't like the vertical nature of the WSM, there are TONS of options out there. When I did it, I went Kamado Joe, as it was going to become my primary grill, not just a smoker. On the Big Joe (24" round grate) I can fit three racks of baby backs without a rib rack, which is enough to feed my family. I can also fit 4x pork butts, or a large brisket, w/o issue.

So you may need to more tightly define your needs/wants a little more if you want more recommendations.
Thanks for the reply. I'd like to try something a little different. I like using the chunk charcoal, but I'm not married to it. I don't need to have it available as a regular barbecue because I have a 24in weber for that. I would like to get into cold smoking too but not sure which is most capable of that.

Thanks for the reply. I'd like to try something a little different. I like using the chunk charcoal, but I'm not married to it. I don't need to have it available as a regular barbecue because I have a 24in weber for that. I would like to get into cold smoking too but not sure which is most capable of that.

Got it. I think you can go a couple of different ways. And it sounds like one of your concerns is capacity, so that may make a difference too.

I'm assuming you're ruling out an electric or propane cabinet smoker? Sticking to more traditional designs?

So I can think of several options:

• Kamado -- I'm going to say you rule this out because while it's an amazing "do it all" device, it's probably not the top when it comes to a dedicated smoker. Not a criticism; I own two. The Big Joe is my primary smoker and it does everything well, but to smoke you need to keep the fire just barely smouldering, which is not how traditional smoking occurs in offset smokers.
  • Pellet Grill -- Also suggesting you rule it out because it's also very multifunction, it's probably not the top option when it comes to a dedicated smoker. Not a criticism; I own one. But I use it more as a weeknight grill, and find the kamado is a better smoker. They still put out excellent food tho.
  • Gravity-feed charcoal smoker -- Something like this. I have no direct experience with this, but I think you end up with actual charcoal + smoking wood, it can give you more grate area than a kamado, and it IMHO will more effectively work indirect like an offset, but gives you the set & forget advantage of a pellet grill. There are also more dedicated (and expensive) versions, which are very popular on competition BBQ circuits.
  • Offset smoker -- Tons of options here. Idea is that you have a separate firebox from the cooking chamber, and this allows you to run a hotter fire while keeping the cooking chamber at a reasonable temp. With a large enough design and appropriate fire management, this can be a true stick-burner (i.e. entirely fed with wood), or you can primarily use charcoal in the firebox with smoking wood added. This is the opposite of set & forget, of course. This is the one that you have to tend to constantly, but many will argue that it--especially as a true stick-burner--is the most pure BBQ that you can get. There are also offsets with more horizontal single/double rack cooking chambers and others with more vertical multi-rack chambers, so there are a lot of options as far as capacity. Only problem here is that to get something built with heavy steel (and thus better insulated), you're gonna spend.
  • Various drum-style smokers -- Obviously you already have experience with WSM, and the UDS, or pit barrel cooker, etc are all the same concept. Cost-wise it is a lot more manageable than kamado or pellet, and may run a little hotter fire since it's less well insulated, but it's very manual and takes a little more tending/watching to make sure you're keeping your temps stable.

What sort of budget are you talking?

Got it. I think you can go a couple of different ways. And it sounds like one of your concerns is capacity, so that may make a difference too.

I'm assuming you're ruling out an electric or propane cabinet smoker? Sticking to more traditional designs?

So I can think of several options:

• Kamado -- I'm going to say you rule this out because while it's an amazing "do it all" device, it's probably not the top when it comes to a dedicated smoker. Not a criticism; I own two. The Big Joe is my primary smoker and it does everything well, but to smoke you need to keep the fire just barely smouldering, which is not how traditional smoking occurs in offset smokers.
  • Pellet Grill -- Also suggesting you rule it out because it's also very multifunction, it's probably not the top option when it comes to a dedicated smoker. Not a criticism; I own one. But I use it more as a weeknight grill, and find the kamado is a better smoker. They still put out excellent food tho.
  • Gravity-feed charcoal smoker -- Something like this. I have no direct experience with this, but I think you end up with actual charcoal + smoking wood, it can give you more grate area than a kamado, and it IMHO will more effectively work indirect like an offset, but gives you the set & forget advantage of a pellet grill. There are also more dedicated (and expensive) versions, which are very popular on competition BBQ circuits.
  • Offset smoker -- Tons of options here. Idea is that you have a separate firebox from the cooking chamber, and this allows you to run a hotter fire while keeping the cooking chamber at a reasonable temp. With a large enough design and appropriate fire management, this can be a true stick-burner (i.e. entirely fed with wood), or you can primarily use charcoal in the firebox with smoking wood added. This is the opposite of set & forget, of course. This is the one that you have to tend to constantly, but many will argue that it--especially as a true stick-burner--is the most pure BBQ that you can get. There are also offsets with more horizontal single/double rack cooking chambers and others with more vertical multi-rack chambers, so there are a lot of options as far as capacity. Only problem here is that to get something built with heavy steel (and thus better insulated), you're gonna spend.
  • Various drum-style smokers -- Obviously you already have experience with WSM, and the UDS, or pit barrel cooker, etc are all the same concept. Cost-wise it is a lot more manageable than kamado or pellet, and may run a little hotter fire since it's less well insulated, but it's very manual and takes a little more tending/watching to make sure you're keeping your temps stable.

What sort of budget are you talking?
Thanks for enumerating the styles for me, that helps a lot. I think when it is time to upgrade my 24" weber grill I'll be looking at Kamados. As far as the smokers go, the offset and the gravity feed look like winners. My budget is $1000 so that gives me options.

My plan is to brine and smoke a 19 lb Turkey for Easter . Going to use my Even Embers Komodo style pellet grill. Going to brine for 12 hours and smoke until thigh temperature is 175F. I’m open to any suggestions or advice as I’ve never done a turkey on a smoker. Thanks

Just read the last page of the thread. I have a propane vertical smoker that I like, but am thinking of going with an combo unit BBQ and Smoker. I saw some cool Youtube Vids where they used just an old style Webber kettle and put the chunk wood on top of the charcoal. Then used the other side of the grate to put the meat. Has anybody done that and how easy was it to do? I am not a super hands on kinda guy, but I like to stay involved while I am out drinking some home brew. LOL I was also looking at pellet grills as they are set and forget. But, then I can't justify sitting and doing nothing and drinking. LOL Any input would be great. Thanks in advance. Rock On!!!!!!!!

My plan is to brine and smoke a 19 lb Turkey for Easter . Going to use my Even Embers Komodo style pellet grill. Going to brine for 12 hours and smoke until thigh temperature is 175F. I’m open to any suggestions or advice as I’ve never done a turkey on a smoker. Thanks

I've done my Thanksgiving turkeys in a 24" Weber kettle (with a Smokenator 2000) for the last 12 or so years. I go for 12lb birds, spatchcocked, dry-brined. Heavily herbed butter gets spread under the skin all over. 325° for a couple hours until done.

I used smoke wood the first year. It was delicious, but we make stock and things with the carcass. Absolutely everything tasted of smoke. It was too much. Now I just use lump charcoal, no smoke wood.

Just read the last page of the thread. I have a propane vertical smoker that I like, but am thinking of going with an combo unit BBQ and Smoker. I saw some cool Youtube Vids where they used just an old style Webber kettle and put the chunk wood on top of the charcoal. Then used the other side of the grate to put the meat. Has anybody done that and how easy was it to do? I am not a super hands on kinda guy, but I like to stay involved while I am out drinking some home brew. LOL I was also looking at pellet grills as they are set and forget. But, then I can't justify sitting and doing nothing and drinking. LOL Any input would be great. Thanks in advance. Rock On!!!!!!!!

You can do it, as @DBhomebrew mentions above. There is even a kit for it: Smoker Kits for Weber Kettle and Gas Grills - SMOKENATOR

IMHO, as someone who previously owned a propane vertical cabinet smoker, is that I don't think I'd consider the weber w/ smokenator much of an upgrade. One thing I loved about that setup was the capacity, with multiple shelves, and temp control was a breeze compared to charcoal. The flavor primarily comes from the smoking wood, not the heat source, so I don't think you're giving anything up with propane. Heck, the electric cabinet smokers put out great food in the hands of a competent cook.

Unless you're space-constrained or have another reason you'd have to get rid of the propane smoker if you bought the Weber, I'd personally rather keep the propane for smoking and use the Weber kettle for grilling. You could even easily do this for 2-zone cooking with things like steak or tri tip where (depending on whether you prefer reverse sear or sear first) you use the Weber for searing and the propane smoker like an oven for slow gentle cooking, potentially with smoke added for flavor.

I have noticed that a pellet smoker gives a nice smoke flavor whereas wood chunks give off a tremendous amount of smoke . We won’t do anything with the carcass so I’m going with my original plan to see how it turns out. Any suggestions for a liquid brine? How much salt ?

As @betarhoalphadelta describes, I've got a vertical propane cabinet smoker standing next to my Weber kettle. I'm currently debating which will cook my 1/2doz beef ribs on Monday.

Liquid brine? I left those in the rearview. I just use dry salt now, so much easier, cleaner, etc. I find the texture of dry salted meat to be preferable to wet brined. You're going to need to dry out the skin before cooking, if crispy skin is important to you.

I have noticed that a pellet smoker gives a nice smoke flavor whereas wood chunks give off a tremendous amount of smoke . We won’t do anything with the carcass so I’m going with my original plan to see how it turns out. Any suggestions for a liquid brine? How much salt ?

You shouldn't be getting tremendous amounts of smoke, especially thick white billowing smoke. The smoke should be so thin and blue that you almost can't even see it. It's all about temp management.

The issue is the volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in wood. When smoking wood ignites, you need a fire hot enough to fully combust those VOCs or you get thick white smoke, which contains creosote and tastes terrible.

Pellet smokers operate by having a very small but fairly hot fire. That makes it hot enough to fully combust the VOCs. And then you have heat spreader plates to make the cook indirect, ensuring the temp at the grates isn't too high where you'll burn the hell out of what you're cooking.

Offset stick burners operate by having a large hot fire physically separated from the meat so it can be hot enough to combust the VOCs while not transferring all that heat into the cooking chamber. So you get the good kind of smoke and just enough temp to cook the product.

That's why you can use actual wood for fuel rather than charcoal. Charcoal already has the VOCs burned off, so the issue then becomes the smoking wood chunks in other types of smokers. You can't let the smoking wood fully ignite.

A kamado, for example, is a giant insulated piece of ceramic, so you CANNOT have a hot fire. There is nowhere for the heat to go. So you use charcoal as your heat source and smoking wood for flavor, but you keep that fire just barely smouldering so there isn't enough heat or oxygen for the smoking wood to ignite and produce the thick white smoke.

This is the case with most typical other common smoker designs as well. With electric or propane, you need to keep the temp hot enough to get the smoking wood to smoulder, but not ignite. I used to have a problem with the propane one that occasionally it would get too hot and ignite the wood in the chip tray, in which case I'd have a spray bottle of water ready to douse it if it happened. With a drum-style smoker, you're fueling with charcoal and adding smoking wood, but you have to make sure that you're regulating airflow and the ratio of smoking wood to charcoal such that it never fully ignites. With cheaper offset smokers, you don't have the insulation effect to run your firebox as hot as a full stick-burner, so you need to carefully manage a mix of charcoal and smoking wood to avoid the thick white smoke.

But avoiding thick white smoke is the key job of a pitmaster. IMHO even more important than keeping consistent temps. You can smoke meat at a wide variety of temps; you can't smoke meat with thick white smoke.

Thanks for enumerating the styles for me, that helps a lot. I think when it is time to upgrade my 24" weber grill I'll be looking at Kamados. As far as the smokers go, the offset and the gravity feed look like winners. My budget is $1000 so that gives me options.
with a budget of $1000 I would look at the following options
offset, stick burner, try to look for a used one. You need like 1/4" thick metal to hold the heat. The sheet metal thin ones will give you a giant headache.

charcoal, used is a good option, but if not available I would look at a drum type but bigger than your weber smokey mountain. The 22" smokey mountain is a great cooker and with a little mods is an amazing cooker. It is vastly bigger than the 18". But, you said you would like something different, so an ugly drum smoker, UDS, could be a great option. You can get a lot of meat on it and they are easy to control. Here are some options from a shop in St Louis. You would need to look at what is available in your area though store wise.
https://www.stlbbqstore.com/k4l-drum-cooker/https://www.stlbbqstore.com/gateway-drum-smoker-w-high-temp-finish/https://www.stlbbqstore.com/hunsaker-drum-smoker-glossy-blue-55-gal/
You can get a good pellet smoker for under $1000 too, and you can make good food on them once you learn how to use them right. This does not take long though.

I do one every year. Most of the time I did them on my 22" weber kettle. It was limited to a 20# turkey (breast nearly touched the lid). 350F, 3-4 hours. My Traeger pellet feeder can handle considerably larger.

Don't overcook the breast. Breast at 175 is gonna be dry. When you're within an hour of done, use an instant read thermometer. If the breast is 150, take some foil and cover it.

We make two turkeys. The smoked one is mostly used in soup, so I smoke the heck out of it.

I always brine. Many of them are already injected with saline to make them moist, but brining is so easy why not. I just put the turkey in a home depot bucket, fill with water, add a few tablespoons of salt, and put in the beer chest freezer overnight (it's still pretty warm in FL in November, you northern folk can probably just put it in your garage).

There are two things you can do with excess turkey. We make a big batch of turkey rice soup, which is almost better than the turkey. Most of that gets frozen in gallon ziplock bags. I also can a lot of turkey. You need a proper pressure canner. Canned turkey can be saved at room temp. It's really good. I just opened a jar yesterday! add a bunch of mayo, pickle relish, diced celery, salt, and it makes a great sandwich.

1680826517234.png

1680826757975.png

also can a lot of turkey. You need a proper pressure canner. Canned turkey can be saved at room temp. It's really good. I just opened a jar yesterday! add a bunch of mayo, pickle relish, diced celery, salt, and it makes a great sandwich.
Do you add broth or water for liquid to the jars before canning?

Going big this weekend, gents. Got a 19# packer. That's a 12 lb point ready for a good sugar cookie of some S&P and about 15 hours on post oak and a 4 lb flat waiting in the dugout to be brined and corned beef-ed-ed in a few weeks.

No, no, no... my math isn't off. That 3 extra pounds is the fat cap that is waiting its turn to join a pork butt in the grinder for some sweet, sweet brats.

16 hours later...

20230407_214234.jpg

20230407_214626.jpg

Back