Can you Brew It recipe for Stone Arrogant Bastard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, My basement (where I ferment) is about 61-63 ambient and I figured this was pushing into 70F in the carboy. Hoped those would slowly fade with some time. thanks though.

Brewed this recently, trying a 2 week sample as I write.

A - Appearance is very clear and very similar to A.B. Levibond is spot on.
S - Smells great. Hoppy, caramelly, malty more than anything.
T - Tastes great also. Filling taste, nearly mough watering with a hint of alcohol lingering the throat.
M - Mouthfeel is where this sample lacks. It is thin. Under carbonated and yet frothy to a point.
O - Overall a very good brew with exceeding potential.

Would add more bittering hops (.64 oz @ 60 min in addition to the .64 o @ 90 min, both Chinook of course)
Would up the Special B slightly (11.6% --> 13-14%) or alter the C-80 --> C-120. It would make a more thick brew to counter act the excess 0.64 oz 60 min addition. Dry hops where fine though. Noticeable aroma and taste.
Fun, easy brew, would gladly make this one again and again.-
==========================================================

Ingredients

Pale Malt (2 Row) US 80.7 %
Special B Malt 11.6 %
Caramel Malt - 80L 3.9 %
Barley, Flaked 3.9 %

Chinook [11.50 %] - Boil 90.0 min 39.2 IBUs
Chinook [11.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min 18.2 IBUs
Chinook [11.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min 13.3 IBUs
Chinook [11.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min 5.7 IBUs
Chinook [11.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
Chinook [11.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 0.0 IBUs
Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml]

Beer Profile

Measured Original Gravity: 1.069 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG *Damn US-05, shoulda used 1056.
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 7.5 %
Bitterness: 76.3 IBUs
Est Color: 21.0 SRM

I just tasted a 2 week sample. I used .9oz Chinook 11.8% AA, @ 85, 45, 15, 0 and its definitely not bitter enough. I am not sure where I got those numbers from. I read probably a hundred posts and for some reason those numbers stuck in my head as being close. I would disagree. At a 1.074 OG, 80.2 IBU for a 1.135 bitterness ratio, I would have to say I will up that significantly next time. I'm going to oak this one. It will still be very good but not what I was looking for. :(

A lot of the bitterness might come from the water profile they use.But yeah I think maybe around 100 IBUs might be more in the ballpark.

A lot of the bitterness might come from the water profile they use.But yeah I think maybe around 100 IBUs might be more in the ballpark.

I ll have to agree here. Have had the Arrogant Bastard, on tap and side by side with Ranger IPA, again on tap. Ranger tastes like aspirin and is dry as heck, while the A.B's mellow maltyness comes through so fine. It needs more bitterness. Was thinking to use some gypsum next time to see how that would affect the overall hop character. Nonetheless, mine is 3 plus weeks in the bottle and seems to be getting better and better.

We know So Cali has really soft water and would easily be built for their IPA beers. I build from RO and my calculated bitterness is 121. I still thought mine had a better fresh hop taste, but the bitterness wasn't quite there. It was really close. I read Mitch Steele saying they only add one bitterness addition and the rest of the hops go in @ whirlpool that takes 45 minutes and is held around 190. I add most of mine at 90 min FWH and added 3oz at flameout and whirlpool. I whirlpooled for 15 min, settled for 10, and took about 10 ito the fermenter. This recipe is close, but not quite when I taste side by side. Mine started @ 1.067 and finished @ 1.012. I'm mashing the next time @ 152.

We know So Cali has really soft water and would easily be built for their IPA beers. I build from RO and my calculated bitterness is 121. I still thought mine had a better fresh hop taste, but the bitterness wasn't quite there. It was really close. I read Mitch Steele saying they only add one bitterness addition and the rest of the hops go in @ whirlpool that takes 45 minutes and is held around 190. I add most of mine at 90 min FWH and added 3oz at flameout and whirlpool. I whirlpooled for 15 min, settled for 10, and took about 10 ito the fermenter. This recipe is close, but not quite when I taste side by side. Mine started @ 1.067 and finished @ 1.012. I'm mashing the next time @ 152.

DHB, if you dont mind me asking what is your recipe?

IIRC I think their water was actually a little hard. It might be in one of the pages of this thread but I remember someone mentioning they blend 50/50 RO water with their tap water and then add salts to get to a sulfate level around 150.

DHB, if you dont mind me asking what is your recipe?

This is going to be my next version. It comes from others that think C-150 makes it closer and a friend that just toured their brewery. He said there was a lot of C-150. The C-150 opinion comes from a guy that brewed 5 different versions and stated C-150 was best. We will see where this ends up.

12.5 gal 75% Eff

27.94 #2-Row
3.11 #C-150
4oz Chinook 90min FWH
3oz Chinook 30 min
5oz Chinook Flameout Whirlpool (Total time about 30min)
WLP007
Mash @ 152

This is going to be my next version. It comes from others that think C-150 makes it closer and a friend that just toured their brewery. He said there was a lot of C-150. The C-150 opinion comes from a guy that brewed 5 different versions and stated C-150 was best. We will see where this ends up.

12.5 gal 75% Eff

27.94 #2-Row
3.11 #C-150
4oz Chinook 90min FWH
3oz Chinook 30 min
5oz Chinook Flameout Whirlpool (Total time about 30min)
WLP007
Mash @ 152

Agreed with the C-150 DHB, tasty McDole knows his stuff, but the closest to C-150 I found commercially was Simpsons Extra Dark Crystal (155-165 L). It is the darkest of all Crystal Malts. Could it quality as C-150? I may well give it a try as early as next month. We'll see.

As for everything else, we know it is a single hop and single malt recipe but I think Stone has a specific hop schedule. Still, yours looks pretty convincing.

I'm getting my C-150 from rebelbrewer.com It is made by Great Western Malting.

Ah, this is great DHB, I cannot thank you enough. I see they also have 1764 pacman, not currently, yet its on their list of items for sale.

Now I am surely making this one.

I will be posting recipes for A.B. With C-150, Extra Dark Crystal, Special B.
Recipe 1, C-150
Recipe 2, Extra Dark Crystal
Recipe 3, Special B

All the above, 2-Row + single (specialty) malt and single hop.
All else being equal, quantities, mashing profiles, fermentation, yeast (1056 probably) etc.

Looking forward to it.

Will be doing Stone Ruination IPA Clone and Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Clone, in the meanwhile. We ll see.

Happy brewing everybody.

With my recipe I did a pound of c150 and a half pound of Special B IIRC. Taste was pretty spot on but color was not as deep as arrogant bastard.

I guess only Stone would be able to say for sure. The C150 has a little bit of a burnt flavor so it might be that. AB has a real dark deep red color that is the one thing that has been evading me with this recipe.

jtejedor said:
I guess only Stone would be able to say for sure. The C150 has a little bit of a burnt flavor so it might be that. AB has a real dark deep red color that is the one thing that has been evading me with this recipe.

Maybe a dark carafa?

Yeah something like that. I was going to keep upping the C150 to get the same color but to me it doesn't taste like it has a ton of caramel malt in it.

Nope, roasted barley.

That's seems like it might be the way to go. I'm definetly happy with the 2-row and the special B. And I'm really sure I like the OG at 1.072 and the FG at 1.018 using WLP002(which is the FG of the real thing) with a mash of 152ish. I'm sure I have the bitterness down, but it's missing something. I like the roasted barley idea. Surely only a couple ounces...hmmmm

Hammy71 said:
That's seems like it might be the way to go. I'm definetly happy with the 2-row and the special B. And I'm really sure I like the OG at 1.072 and the FG at 1.018 using WLP002(which is the FG of the real thing) with a mash of 152ish. I'm sure I have the bitterness down, but it's missing something. I like the roasted barley idea. Surely only a couple ounces...hmmmm

I will go with this as well next batch. I've been spiking my brews with a touch of roast barley lately and it's growing on me.
89% 2 row, 10.5% spec b, 0.5% roast barley it is!

This is all great guys and I am sure that your brews will come out just fine. Still, I think that A.B is single malt, single hop. I ll go with Special B or C-150 (best bet yet, multiple sources) or Simpsons Extra Dark.

Either way, we gotta brew it to see. A three way blond test never fails.-

This is all great guys and I am sure that your brews will come out just fine. Still, I think that A.B is single malt, single hop. I ll go with Special B or C-150 (best bet yet, multiple sources) or Simpsons Extra Dark.

Done the SpB and the C-150. Not happy with either.

Next weekend I'll be breing up a batch with 10% Simpson's extra dark + 2% Special B + 1% Belgian De-bittered (500L). Thinking of this rather than adding roasted barley. I'll post the results in about 1 month.

Next weekend I'll be breing up a batch with 10% Simpson's extra dark + 2% Special B + 1% Belgian De-bittered (500L). Thinking of this rather than adding roasted barley. I'll post the results in about 1 month.

I am liking this last recipe lot. Please do post results.

PS: You could use some carafa II in there if you are going some some dark note without excess roastyness. However, I think you ll get what you are after with just some DeBittered Black.

Again, looks really nice.

Happy brewing.

CastleBlack said:

Please post video.

I second that!

Not a bad idea but as good as I am watching all the brew "documentaries" I am really bad at making one. I might shoot something with the Iphone though, we ll see. I was talking to the girlfriend about it last time and she said:

-"If you make three small batches of Arrogant Bastard, you should call that
"Three Little Bastards" :)

I am planning on doing just that. Actually I might just squeeze this project between my Ruination and Sublimely clones.

First Little Bastard - Simpsons Extra Dark
Second Little Bastard - C-150
Third Little Bastard - Special B

As always this looks like its gonna be fun.

Happy brewing everyone.

The only way I can explain it ...lacking bitterness that wasn't hops. That's why I'm intrigued by the roasted barley.

I just cracked one of these as I write. There is dryness on the back of the toungue and hop bitterness in front. I don't taste roased barley, not saying it isn't there. The Chinook harshness is really in the after bitterness. Everytime I drink one of these I remember how good it is. Did you brew the C-150 Bastard? Someone will stumble onto the recipe!

Never mind I read Hammy's tasting notes a few pages back on the 150L. Now I don't know what to do. :drunk:

Go with the gut, make the C-150. I support.-

Worse case, you end up with an awesome, yet not so Bastardly, brew. That cant be that bad now, can it?

I am surely making a small batch of bastards, one with C-150 surely.

Go with the gut, make the C-150. I support.-

Worse case, you end up with an awesome, yet not so Bastardly, brew. That cant be that bad now, can it?

I am surely making a small batch of bastards, one with C-150 surely.

Oh, I'm not saying the 150 was horrible or undrinkable. Just not AB to me.

Oh, I'm not saying the 150 was horrible or undrinkable. Just not AB to me.

Could the freshness have anything to do with it you think?

This is a relatively big brew, at 7.2 - 7.5 ABV it takes some time to condition. Plus the store bought AB will never be as fresh as homebrew. Could our brews, even with C-150 just be too green?

My first bastard clone was bottled on 1/9/12 and I have been having a bottle a week to taste test it. I can tell you it is still green even for a brew with so much hoppyness.

Could the freshness have anything to do with it you think?

This is a relatively big brew, at 7.2 - 7.5 ABV it takes some time to condition. Plus the store bought AB will never be as fresh as homebrew. Could our brews, even with C-150 just be too green?

My first bastard clone was bottled on 1/9/12 and I have been having a bottle a week to taste test it. I can tell you it is still green even for a brew with so much hoppyness.

When you say green, what specifically are you talking about? I assume you're not talking about acetaldehyde (green apple flavor). Is the beer not clear? Is it fruity in some other sense? Are there fusel alcohols?

When you say green, what specifically are you talking about? I assume you're not talking about acetaldehyde (green apple flavor). Is the beer not clear? Is it fruity in some other sense? Are there fusel alcohols?

No mate, I do not ferment high when I am making pale ales and IPAs, so hopefully I do not have any fusels in there. (As as side note, I have only had chlorophenols from bad H2O and trust me you can spot that as soon as the bottle opens. Still drank that crap, cant waste a brew).

When I say green brew I mean brew that it simply not at its peak condition just yet. I get this a whole lot with higher gravity ales, even DIPAs despite the overly hoppyness. Give it time and taste one every week or so, you ll see a big difference from one week to the next.

No mate, I do not ferment high when I am making pale ales and IPAs, so hopefully I do not have any fusels in there. (As as side note, I have only had chlorophenols from bad H2O and trust me you can spot that as soon as the bottle opens. Still drank that crap, cant waste a brew).

When I say green brew I mean brew that it simply not at its peak condition just yet. I get this a whole lot with higher gravity ales, even DIPAs despite the overly hoppyness. Give it time and taste one every week or so, you ll see a big difference from one week to the next.

Again, I know what people mean by conditioning. I understand that bigger beers change (usually improve) with time. However, there's normally a reason they improve. What flavor aspect do you expect to change that will make the beer taste closer to AB?

Back