Keezer Collar finished!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BA_from_GA

Reaction score
Well, i was planning on taking pics of the process, but i got lazy (and impatient) so i just rolled through and took pics at the end.

My goal was to be able to have 4 taps, and have room to "force-carb" 1-2 kegs to have ready cold when another empties, OR to be able to fit a carboy for cold-crashing.

Here's the front view, pics are from iPhone, so not that great of resolution.

IMG_0161.jpg

then some inside shots

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

Collar is just a plane jane 2x8, stained with i dark mahogony minwax, then one coat of minwax poly. I mitered the front corners but butt-jointed the back corners, and used galvinized 90* brackets on the inside corners for rigidiity, as well as some finish nails through the exterior of the corners.

Insulation is 1.25" aluminum sheathed fiberglass, taped off with aluminum insulation tape to keep the fibers from making a mess. R-value is in the 9-11 range, so i shouldn't loose much temp.

I mounted my temp controller on the back of the frame, and in the future may very well move the CO2 to the outside to accommodate extra kegs. The drip tray is held on by the taps/shanks, but i did put a bead of adhesive caulk down the back at the bottom to keep it form wobbling in and out.

Total bill:

- kegs - already had them, so won't count them in the cost.
- Freezer & temp unit - $140, craigslist
- 20lb CO2, 3 nipple shanks, drip tray - Craigslist, free after selling other stuff from the same buy.
- New Perelict 525's and 4th shank - $130 shipped from Kegconnection.com
- parts to build collar - less than $40 total.

The total collar widge fits perfectly to the inside dimensions of the keezer.

I attached the collar with silicone, and a 90* bracket in each corner.

Insulation is 1.25" aluminum sheathed fiberglass, taped off with aluminum insulation tape to keep the fibers from making a mess. R-value is in the 9-11 range, so i shouldn't loose much temp.

R-Value in the 9-11 range for 1-1/4" fiberglass? That's really, really good. Way better than the expanded polyurethane stuff that I am curently using. Did you buy it at Home Depot or where? Looks like I need to re-do my collar insulation.

It's Industrial stuff, scrap pieces left over from 4x12 foot sheets from the fabrication shop I used to work in.

I saved several big pieces. It has the values printed on one side. With a 4 inch air gap the stuff is R-28, but with no gap it's abviously looses a little.

Just glad I didn't have to pay for it... Expensive stuff if I remember correctly.

Back