Secondary Fermentation Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bschindl

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been looking at a couple of recipes for my next batch and I noticed that some of them require a secondary. One recipe is a pumpkin ale that calls for adding spices to the secondary. The other is a Magic Hat #9 clone that calls for adding apricot to the secondary. Normally I leave my beers in the primary for 4 weeks before bottling.

Since I only have one better bottle my question is how necessary is it to have a second vessel for a secondary. I know that transferring to a secondary will help clear up the beer, however is there any other benefit to using a seperate vessel. I could transfer to the bottling bucket and then back to a clean BB if necessary.

Has anyone tried adding secondary additives to the primary vessel during the last week before bottling? Will this change anything other than the clarity of the beer?

I've added things to the primary, but I ended up with a very cloudy beer. It was probably do to having so much sludge at the bottom of my fermenter that I ended up stirring things into the beer while racking.

Back