fermentation temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingzog

Reaction score
I live in the northeast. I have been fermenting in my basement where it is cool has a stabile temp. Now with summer coming my basement will be too hot ie over 75 degrees. I have an second refridgerator. My question I guess is can I move my fermenter into the refridgerator and use the refridgerator conrols to set a temp or do I need something more sofisticated to regulate the temp. like I've seen in catalogues. Thanks

It's really worth the money to buy a temperature controller, and if you can afford it, go with the digital ones (like a Ranco). This allows you to have precise control over your fermentation within a couple of degrees, which really will help you make better beer.

You can try your regular thermostat, but most won't give you the range of temperature or consistency of temperature that you require.

I just put my fermenters in a plastic bin with water, therm, and frozen bottles of water that I switch out every day. :D

I have been able to control some bins down to 55 all day and night. Some I keep below 70 using fewer bottles. :D

Back