Bottling Cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afoster

Reaction score
If I decide to back sweeten my cider with apple juice concentrate, do I need to add priming sugar also to get carbination in the bottles? or will the sugar in the concentrate be enough to get carbination? I plan on stove top pasturizing when I get the proper carbination I want.

Thanks Andy

Sweeten to taste with concentrate, then on top of that, add more concentrate until SG has increased by 0.003 to prime for the carbonation. One can of my local concentrate adds the perfect amount for sugar to prime a 5 gallon batch.

If you do not add more sugar for priming then the sweetening sugar will be fermented and your cider it will finish drier than what you sweetened too.

I just bottled a cider. What kind of yeast did you use? I used a champagne yeast. Mine finish really dry so I used a concentrate to sweeten it. I didn't have to add priming sugar. It was actually a little too carbonated. Good luck and cheers

I used Safale US-05 and got my FG reading at .098 then I back sweetened it and my SG reading was 1.005 and then I bottled it. No priming sugar at all and it had a pretty sweet taste to it but it wasnt over kill. Going to check in the next few days to check carbination and then when I think its right Im going to stove top pasturize to stop any fermentation.

Back