Summer Citra Wheat (lemon!!!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I just brewed this beer on Friday and its fermenting away nicely. I didn't have any cut lemon peel so I took the peel from 3 large lemons. I added 1 oz of Citra at the 60 min mark just because and okay I added 1.5 oz of sweet orange peel...Yeah know, why not...Right? I hit my target spot on with 1.052 @ 12 gallons. I pitched the wlp029 (for sure) in one 6 gallon bucket and WLP051 in the other. I am fermenting away and my temp in the fermenting fridge is set at 62*f I should be drinking this in 14 days!

okay maybe 12..LOL
Cheers
Jay

Okay..17 days and only 4 of those are in the bottle. I put 10 gallons in kegs and bottled the other 2 gallons. From the 2 yeasts I really like the WLP051 over the WLP029. The 051 is a tad sweeter than the 029. Here is the deal though. I did up the Citra in this batch so there is much more hop present in the beer that I really like, but I think I like it better without. So at bottling time I mixed the last 1 gallon of each batch in the bottling bucket and bottled......Magic! Not sure if it would happen if they were fermented together but WOW! Blending the 2 is NICE!

Cheers
Jay

I just tapped a keg of this for a party yesterday. I have this and 3 other beers on tap and this was the overwhelming favorite. I brewed 11 gallons and used 1 oz of fresh lemon zest and 1oz of sweet cut orange peel. The lemon is barely noticeable so I'll probably double that in my next batch (which will be soon). I don't really like wheat beer but this is great. Now I need to go make sure there is some left in the keg to bottle.

Went thru a case of this this weekend, everybody loved it. will brew it again but i think i'll up the orange peel to 1 ounce to bump it up a little more noticeable. great recipe

Subscribed... I'll def be trying this one out!

I'm planning to try Bell's Oberon yeast, since I'll be growing some up for an Oberon clone anyway!

So the WLP 029 half of this beer I served on a house boat trip this last week on Shasta Lake......5 gallons gone in a matter of a few hours! NICE!!! I love hearing the comments of the non craft or even wheat beer drinkers as they down their first glass in like 2 min and go for more! LOVE IT!!!
Cheers
Jay

lhbs had some citra but no sorachi, so i'll try this with cascade subbed for sorachi (at least in the kettle) once i get my kolsch off the yeast cake
this is by far the most popular beer i've brewed so far

Brewed this past weekend. I used fresh orange zest, but otherwise identical. Best smelling ferment. The girls can't wait for this one!

Brewed a version of this Saturday. I did BIAB (MIAB...whatever), with a 10 min dunk sparge. First time with this new method, oh and pitched washed yeast for the first time also. Less than 12 hrs later the airlock was going crazy. Smells amazing already.

I brewed this a few months ago and have given it a long time to mellow, because at first it had this really strong medicinal quality... never had that happen before. It has mellowed so that it is at least drinkable now, but it still has a strong chemicalness about it. I used fresh orange peel, only thing i did different from the last time i brewed it (which was awesome). Where could that come from?

Well I am giving this another go soon, hoping to get the results I did the first time! (not the last time, though)

My LHBS only had dried lime peel. Whaddya think?

I'm going to be brewing this recipe this coming Sunday. I'm going for more orange then lemon, so I'll be replacing the Sorachi with some Amarillo and I'll be bittering with some Northern Brewer I've got laying around. Hoping it comes out nice and refreshing and orangy. I'll update later. Thanks for the recipe and comments. They've help sway me to brew it.

I just brewed up something inspired by this; has anyone tried dry hopping this recipe with more Sorachi Ace? I accidentally bought enough to make a 12 gallon batch so I have some extra Sorachi ace laying around.

I just brewed up something inspired by this; has anyone tried dry hopping this recipe with more Sorachi Ace? I accidentally bought enough to make a 12 gallon batch so I have some extra Sorachi ace laying around.

Ohh man! I dry hopped this with cut dried lemon peel, but not Sorachi. That sounds way killer! Let me know how it turns out.

Cheers
Jay

This thread has been an excellent read. I'm going to do a 5gal split extract batch of a roggenbier to figure out how to get a good lemony flavor in it. Sorachi Ace will definitely be one of the variables.

This thread has been an excellent read. I'm going to do a 5gal split extract batch of a roggenbier to figure out how to get a good lemony flavor in it. Sorachi Ace will definitely be one of the variables.

Killer man good to hear. Let us know how they turn out..

This is still a go to beer for the house in the summer.
Cheers
Jay

NICE!!! Yeah I am going to brew 24 gallons of this on Tuesday.
Its time!
Cheers
Jay

Jay....you are going to be my next hero :rockin:

One question: I'm living in the caribbean -where you know its always hot-.
Can not use liquid yeast because ordering from the states will take too much time traveling and the heat will ruin it. It happened before, believe me. Ah, -by the way- there's no home brewing supplier here or anything near that).
So in your vast experience, which dry yeast would you recommend for making this baby of yours? Do you think S-04 will be good enough?

Thank You!

Jay....you are going to be my next hero :rockin:

One question: I'm living in the caribbean -where you know its always hot-.
Can not use liquid yeast because ordering from the states will take too much time traveling and the heat will ruin it. It happened before, believe me. Ah, -by the way- there's no home brewing supplier here or anything near that).
So in your vast experience, which dry yeast would you recommend for making this baby of yours? Do you think S-04 will be good enough?

Thank You!

This it the yeast I am going with these days for this beer when I brew it at the store. I LOVE IT!! Great Great GREAT flavor and holy crap its a fast fermenter!

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.c...big-giveaway-459192/&__utmv=-&__utmk=25722301

I also sell it on EBAY if you need some hook up with me we will get it to you in a hurry.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mangrove-Ja...396?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item417a5ef7bc

Cheers
Jay

In the carboy. Tasted very good. I added the spices at 3 minutes, then whirlpooled till 120. I am trying s04 so I will report my findings.

Guys....waiting for the comments on how this great beer finished....and how the S-04 went through.......let us know....i'm impatient.

11# 2 row
11# wheat
1# C15L
1.5# rice hulls

Hello all, forgive me if this was already asked but I am looking to convert this into a hop-bursted recipe. I plan on using the same grain bill (scaled to 5 gals) and using the following hop schedule. Forgoing the bittering altogether

Sorachi .5oz 15 min
Sorachi .5oz 10 min
Sorachi .75oz 5 min
Sorachi .75oz whirlpool for 10 min

Sorachi 1.0 oz Dry hop (3-5 days)

Any thoughts?

Hello all, forgive me if this was already asked but I am looking to convert this into a hop-bursted recipe. I plan on using the same grain bill (scaled to 5 gals) and using the following hop schedule. Forgoing the bittering altogether

Sorachi .5oz 15 min
Sorachi .5oz 10 min
Sorachi .75oz 5 min
Sorachi .75oz whirlpool for 10 min

Sorachi 1.0 oz Dry hop (3-5 days)

Any thoughts?

I would love to taste how that turns out! I think you may just hit the lemon nail on the head with a hop bursted citrus wheat.... I love the idea!

Keep us posted!

Cheers
Jay

Guys....waiting for the comments on how this great beer finished....and how the S-04 went through.......let us know....i'm impatient.

S04 is a crazy fast yeast. The krausan was not huge like 05, but crazy co2. Will do some sampling this weekend.

Jay,

What was roughly you AA% and approx. IBU total for this great sounding brew? Brewing it next weekend.

Cheers! Ed

Jay,

What was roughly you AA% and approx. IBU total for this great sounding brew? Brewing it next weekend.

Cheers! Ed

Ed
Notes from my first brew show 13.1 AAU of the Citra and I was shooting for 13 IBU just from those alone
the Sorachi Ace I must have forgotten to write down the AAU but notes show 10 IBU total from the first Sorachi addition and 10 IBU for the second Sorachi addition targeting 33 IBU total for the beer.

Hope that helps. This beer is a mainstay at my house! But I seem to ALWAYS be out. I think my mom comes over when I am at work, now that she is retired and drinks it all....LOL

Cheers
Jay

Ed
Notes from my first brew show 13.1 AAU of the Citra and I was shooting for 13 IBU just from those alone
the Sorachi Ace I must have forgotten to write down the AAU but notes show 10 IBU total from the first Sorachi addition and 10 IBU for the second Sorachi addition targeting 33 IBU total for the beer.

Hope that helps. This beer is a mainstay at my house! But I seem to ALWAYS be out. I think my mom comes over when I am at work, now that she is retired and drinks it all....LOL

Cheers
Jay

Exactly what I was looking for. Can't wait to brew this. Thanks for the quick reply!

Cheers ... Ed

1 week away from kegging, can't wait. On another bland am wheat I made, I dry hopped with 2 oz citra, 1 sorchia ace, all I taste is the lemon from the sorchia. It is potent as a dry hop. Might experiment with an half ounce in one of my kegs of the summer citra wheat

Back