How long till no more CO2222222???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I started three batches of wine that have been going for a month. In my previous batches I noticed when I bottled the wine CO2 buildup would still occur after I opened the bottles. How long will it take for the fermentation process to be completely finished and to know my wine is 100% done?
THANKS

Once fermentation is complete are you completely degassing your wine? If so, it should be all dissipated.

Once fermentation is complete are you completely degassing your wine? If so, it should be all dissipated.

I agree with Spahr make sure you are degassing because not doing so will cause some CO2 to be left over.

What is degassing?

Kit wines especially require degassing. It means using a tool (like a spoon or a wine whip) to stir well to get rid of excess gas.

I don't degas routinely, as just sitting allows the wine to degas just fine usually.

After fermentation stops, warmer temperatures will help the wine release c02, while colder temperatures will hold onto more c02. Also, racking as needed will also degas the wine too, so keeping the wine at a steady temperature until clear and racking every 60 days or so means that the wine is completely gas-free and clear when bottled.

Back