sulfer smell....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xul

Reaction score
I brewed up a batch of coopers mexican cerveza extract on Tuesday the 25. I added a pound of corn sugar and a pound of DME. After one week I went to change the airlock as I popped off the airlock I smelled sulfer. Is the beer infected? Gone bad? Or is this normal?

Well theres alot of talk about the sulfur smell around here and i think i was the one that caused the biggest stink! lol about it and will never live it down. The way i understand it is certain yeast can give off the sulfur smell BUT a infection can also so if it doesnt look infected then i would not worry about the smell at all. Im betting it will subside just like everybody else says. Now if it looks horrible there might be something else going on and without seeing it its kinda hard to tell. What was the yeast? A more seasoned brewer will be able to elaborate more with more details :mug:

There is nothing that I can see wrong with the beer. No mold or strange looking foam.

There is nothing that I can see wrong with the beer. No mold or strange looking foam.

Id wait until a more seasoned brewer answers before you made a choice what to do but my gut tells me your fine. I wouldnt lose any sleep over it :) I wouldnt place bets but im pretty sure your making great beer!

It's Normal. sometimes with coopers yeast it gets stressed cause of the nutrition for the yeast is low. I do those kits all the time, I usally put in a tsp of yeast nutrients to help the yeast then no more sulphur smell. Jut a little head up for next time. I would transfer to a secondary and leave it in here a month or untill the sulphur smell goes away, I usally bulk age mine this way if it happens to me.

Why where you changing the airlock? I don't touch mine until I have to put in secondary or it's ready to be bottled.
Did you use a starter? How big is this batch 5gal?

Is this a lager recipe. What temp are you fermenting at? Sulphur is common with lagers

Congrats? Lol sarcasm?

No actually if you look at the bikini thread that popped up this morning. It's a spammer trying to make a few tests posts before they start a spam thread. The 2 am spammers make a bunch of random posts to hit whatever minimum is required to post a link, then they start a thread like "Does my butt look big in these jeans" or something.

Like other's have said, fermentation often smells like sulfur initially and clears up during the conditioning phases of the journey. By the time the beer is ready to drink, all smells and off flavors should be long gone.

I changed the air lock because during fermentation some kraeusen made its way into the airlock. I'm not lagering the beer its fermenting at 70 degrees. I use the yeast that came with the coopers kit. I couldn't tell you what strain it is.

Xul said:
I changed the air lock because during fermentation some kraeusen made its way into the airlock. I'm not lagering the beer its fermenting at 70 degrees. I use the yeast that came with the coopers kit. I couldn't tell you what strain it is.

I guess most of the mexican beer I have had are lagers, which should be fermented at 50 degrees. You always want to pay attention to what yeast strain you are using. They all like different temp ranges

Back