Protein rest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelr

Reaction score
Id likd to start brewing all grain as soon as my two extracts are finished. But i just wanted to clear a few things up first. When i do a protein rest. Do i drain the water or leave it in the mash tun and add the next amount of water it asks for. And is the second amount that needs to be added called the sachrification (spelled wrong?) Sorry im so blah about this question. Not sure of all the vocab to be using. So im just wondering exactly what to do with the protein rest when its is done. Add the next amount of water or drain that water used for the protein rest into a kettle. And when the recipe says mash out to direct heat to 168 F over 2min 168 F 10min.

If anyone understands any of this and can give an anser thank you

Most of the grains today are highly modified and don't require an protien rest.
For your first few AG brews, I would suggest that you keep to a very simple recipe and work on your process.
Mashing, vorlaufing, lautering and sparging will all be new to you so take the time to figure those processes out first, before you try to multi-temp step your mash.

Bull

Most of the grains today are highly modified and don't require an protien rest.
For your first few AG brews, I would suggest that you keep to a very simple recipe and work on your process.
Mashing, vorlaufing, lautering and sparging will all be new to you so take the time to figure those processes out first, before you try to multi-temp step your mash.

Bull

I agree- you probably don't need a protein rest anyway. I have a few beers that I do a 133 temperature rest on, but only a few. Most of my beers are simple single infusion mashes, and I make pretty good beer that way! I'd suggest finding a recipe that didn't use a protein rest, or post the recipe you're planning on here so we can advise you if one is even needed.

It's Austin's Homebrew Blue Moon Clone. The member Lil' Sparky has it posted on this site. Wanted to try that one. But wanted to make sure I understood everything first. I like to challenge myself if I can.

Back