Yeasty Tasting Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgnash3

Reaction score
I am a noob. I bottled my 3rd batch about 4 weeks ago and like my 2nd batch, it came out with a very yeasty flavor. I have brewed them from kits, ferment in a glass carboy and bottle condition. I'm not sure why my first batch, a Scottish Ale came out great, and my 2nd (Brown Ale), and 3rd (American Amber) batches have been so yeasty tasting. Anyone have any ideas?

The first thing I would think of when I think of yeasty tasting beer is simply young beer. Beer younger than about 5-6 weeks old might taste very yeasty, particularly with a non-flocculant yeast strain.

The first cure is simply patience. Bottle conditioned, and then let to sit for about 4 weeks before refrigerating, and then in the fridge for 48 hours might greatly improve the yeasty flavor.

What kind of beer is it, and how old is it?

How long do you keep them in the primary and secondary? Too short in either can prevent the yeast from falling out of suspension. Also, when you pour a homebrew, it helps to try to keep as much sediment in the bottle as possible. Different yeasts can taste more or less yeasty? Did you use the same strand in the scotch ale as the others?

What kind of beer is it, and how old is it?[/QUOTE]

It is an Amber Ale and I left it in the glass carboy fermenter for about 4 weeks before bottling. I have left it in the bottles for another 4 weeks before drinking any of it. It is still a bit cloudy in the bottles.

How long do you keep them in the primary and secondary? Too short in either can prevent the yeast from falling out of suspension. Also, when you pour a homebrew, it helps to try to keep as much sediment in the bottle as possible. Different yeasts can taste more or less yeasty? Did you use the same strand in the scotch ale as the others?

I left it in the primary for about 4 weeks. I did not use a secondary fermenter, which I am finding out maybe I should have, but I did not on my first attempt either. Will that solve my problem? What would be a good amount of time for the Amber Ale?
To be honest, I used the kind of yeast they gave me in the kit. I didn't pay any attention to the type. I do know to avoid pouring the sediment from the glass into the beer, so I don't think that is it.

i had the same problem but it was because i got lazy and started using tap water...it left an awful, almost plastic like taste in my beer that for a while i mistook for being yeasty. i'm not saying thats what it is in your case, just a thought because like you my first brew was much much better than the 2nd and 3rd for that reason alone.

Back