Heating water/wort with charcoal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zplug123

Reaction score
If my building doesn't permit the use of propane gas burners and I've only got 20 Amp outlets to use if I wanted to make an electric heat stick, has anyone ever tried heating sparge water/boiling wort over charcoal?

I suppose it would be extra mess, but would it reach the desirable temperatures and could the grill support a 44 quart kettle?

I think you'd have a very hard time keeping that much water boiling with charcoal. That said, I'm sure it's been done and is possible. I doubt a store-bought grill would support it, I think you'd have to rig something up, maybe dig a hole and run some rebar across the top to support the kettle or something.

Given the way I smell after standing next to a grill for 5 minutes, I don't think it would be a good idea to boil over an open charcoal fire. I'm pretty sure you'll wind up with a smoky/ carbonized flavor or smell in the final product.

Unless you have a reliable way of pulling the combustion fumes/particles away from your brewpot, you might not want to try it.

It was mostly out of curiosity, but I suppose going with electric is the most logical way. The problem is making three or four of those heatsticks to boil the water fast. Not to mention the outdoor island is all on one circuit, meaning I'd have to do it indoors. >_>

you can go all-electric. Water heater elements come in 110V sizes that don't draw 20 amps - 1500W = approx 12.5 amps

Just be sure your outlets are 20 amps. 12.5 amps will trip a 15 amp circuit if run continuously. 20 amp circuits are good for 16 amps. And 2 switches that run the same light are called 3 ways.:drunk:

How do you think they used to do it over a hundred or two hundred years ago? But just like wiping your ass a hundred years ago compared to today, we have come up with better solutions. Most notably, propane and toilet paper, not necessarily in that order.

Latest posts

Back