Recipe calls for Magnum, but all I have is Warrior!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SW Brewer

Reaction score
My LHBS doesnt sell Magnum hops, and my recipe (a Stone Ruination PM clone) calls for one ounce of magnum at 60 minutes. I do have some Warrior, would that be a good alternate? If not, what other hops would work in place of the magnum?

Greg

david_42 said:
Warrior is a good replacement. Or Horizon. Stay away from the three C's.

Horizon would prb be my first choice for a substitution...Course, no problems sub'n Warrior either. Magnum has become my go-to bittering hop for super clean bittering.

brewt00l said:
Horizon would prb be my first choice for a substitution...Course, no problems sub'n Warrior either. Magnum has become my go-to bittering hop for super clean bittering.
I need to order a pound or so this year. I've only used Magnum in spots and I'd like to get a handle on it. I've been reading a lot lately about clean, low cohumulone bittering hops and I wouldn't hesitate to use Warrior in place of Magnum in this case. I have used Warrior a bit in the past and really like it.

Warrior is a suitable replacement, indeed. Just adjust amout based on aa%.

Baron von BeeGee said:
I need to order a pound or so this year. I've only used Magnum in spots and I'd like to get a handle on it. I've been reading a lot lately about clean, low cohumulone bittering hops and I wouldn't hesitate to use Warrior in place of Magnum in this case. I have used Warrior a bit in the past and really like it.

I really like how clean and smooth the bittering is with Magnum. Most of my recipes have an oz @ 60 then just flavor and aroma additions of other varieties. It mixes well with all the Simcoe, Summit, Cs I have paired it with. Horizon has been a staple single hop addition for my Amer style stouts.

brewt00l said:
I really like how clean and smooth the bittering is with Magnum. Most of my recipes have an oz @ 60 then just flavor and aroma additions of other varieties. It mixes well with all the Simcoe, Summit, Cs I have paired it with. Horizon has been a staple single hop addition for my Amer style stouts.
I was thinking about trying it for an upcoming IIPA, but got sidetracked by Summit. I'll probably grab some Magnum from the new crop when available.

Thanks for the help folks. I am going to stick to Warrior. Interestingly, my LHBS didnt even know that Warrior existed!?!?!?!?

Warrior is also clean bittering like Magnum. I ordered some Warrior a year ago from Freshhops and they were out, so without asking, they substituted Magnum. I was a bit ticked at first since they didn't check with me first, but it turned out to be a fine substitute.

Just an interesting note. Not disputing the warrior/magnum trade off, but John Palmer lists Northern Brewer, Perle, and Horizon as subs for Magnum. AAs are obviously different, but I just found it interesting that no one thought the same way as J.P.

I have a simular problem, my LHBS carries magnum, but not warrior. I always sub Nugget for Warrior.

Robar said:
Just an interesting note. Not disputing the warrior/magnum trade off, but John Palmer lists Northern Brewer, Perle, and Horizon as subs for Magnum. AAs are obviously different, but I just found it interesting that no one thought the same way as J.P.

I have a simular problem, my LHBS carries magnum, but not warrior. I always sub Nugget for Warrior.

BYO's hop sub chart also lists NB as a sub.

(however, I haven't used NB for bittering and I only mentioned ones I have used)

I saw that NB was listed as a substitute also. I also have some of those hops in the freezer and have used them on one of Charlie Pappazian's Palilallia IPA extract. It was darned good, but I think I will go to warrior. I substituted nugget for warrior last time when I made Ed's Stone clone and it turned out well.

Greg

Latest posts

Back