neutral bittering hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoochin'Fool

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I usually go with Magnum, but my usual spots only have 8% AA Magnum pellets in stock, which makes me think I should branch out a bit more and try something new.
Looking for bittering strong, dark, malty stouts without much flavoring contribution (60 minute boil probably makes that mostly irrelevant). Would I regret just grabbing the highest AA% hop they've got?

Looking for bittering strong, dark, malty stouts without much flavoring contribution (60 minute boil probably makes that mostly irrelevant). Would I regret just grabbing the highest AA% hop they've got?

One flavor I really dislike is pine, will any of that carry over if boiled for 60 minutes?

A couple of years ago, when I brewed some bigger dark beers for friends and family, I found that some of the "peeps" were sensitive to "pine-y" bitterness that comes from Magnum / Warrior. Golding (noble-ish, lower AA) as a bittering hop worked out better for them. Summit (mentioned by @DuncB (above)) is a hop that I not used. (eta: nor is Junga (see below))

Last edited:
apologies I meant Junga

hop comparison.JPG

I have edited my error above as well.

Off-the-wall suggestion: Helios, which has a stratospheric AA level, and low CoH, if you think that even matters. It smells awful in pellet form, but even used in the whirlpool it tastes more noble than anything else. And of course not much of the aroma makes it through a full boil. I’ve used it dual-purpose in a single beer so far, but I like the result and will probably use it again.

I'm drinking a dry stout bittered with cluster and finished with a touch a willamette. WLP001 dry. 18 days from brew and it's delicious. I have two more kags of it with US05 and Cali. I hope they are as good.

I used El Dorado on my last two dry stouts. I try to always have a stout on tap.

Not much flavor survives after a 60min boil, that is why we add more hops later in the boil, so id doesn't really matter which one u use.

Consider blending bittering hops, Magnum, Warrior, CTZ, etc... my favorite FWH is Magnum and Tradition or Magnum and Sterling. Eventually you will strike on the flavors that you find pleasing, but only through trial and error.

Back