Yakima vs. Kent Golding

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
I had assumed both were basically the same hops grown in different regions of the world but never the less the same.

I need 2 oz of golding for an Indian Brown and had 2 oz of Kent golding. But I did have an older oz of Yakima so I thought use up the old first.

I open both and took a giant wiff and found a difference.

The Yakima was very sweet and spicy while the kent is a little more subdued and . . . .rounder more british (if that makes ANY sense).

While Kent has a more "traditional Old English hop" character the Yakima is a brash kid.

Now I'm conflicted. I need 1.2 oz at 10 minutes and 0.25 dry hopping (along with 0.25 Liberty) which one to use hmmmmmm

Also 1.33 oz Liberty at Flame out and 0.75 oz Warrior bittering.

While I absolutely LOVE EKG, they can be difficult to source. The differences between EKG and Yakima Goldings are so slight to my palate as to be inconsequential.

YMMV, of course.

palate - probably no difference. I was just surprised at the raw (pellet) difference. I might use the Yakima for dry hopping - just smells better.

Back