Pitching yeast from fully fermented wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scohop

Reaction score
I just brewed a nice Witbier and ended up with too much wort. So I let one half gallon of it ferment in my yeast starting jug (I couldn't fit it all in my primary).

If I want to use the same yeast again for the same recipe, could I just pitch the half gallon of completely fermented wort for my yeast? It looks a lot like my yeast starters (although maybe I would pitch those before fermentation stopped completely?).

thanks,
Scott

Assuming your process was relatively sanitary, then it should work fine to repitch the half gallon. I'd bottle/drink, or decant the fermented wort off of the yeast cake though before re-pitching.

i too would cool it for a few hours in the fridge, then decant the liquid off, and try to pitch mostly yeast from the bottom.
that way you have minimal to no flavor change from the beer that was created in the starter.

Latest posts

Back