Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most imperial ipa are brewed to be consumed fresh. Many don't have the right hop to malt balance to age well.

DFH 120 is an exception to that rule

+1 Most of the time when I purchase a DIPA or a IIPA I want to taste what the brewer intended. I usually don't buy the same beer twice. I suppose when I hit one that the I find the idea of cellaring intriguing, that may change.

I had another "Do you make it in the bathtub?" comment today... That **** is getting old fast, especially because it's always accompanied by a jaunty smile because they think they're being original or clever.

I wanna floccing punch people when they say that.

a persons face can say a hell of a lot more than the words they say. the way they hold their mouth, the position they hold their head, the direction of their eyes, the way they hold their eyebrows... and that's just their face. and what's really funny is how many people try to back-track what they say when you call them out for being condescending or mocking you. that's the sort of thing that got me kicked out of a lot of bars.

Last night at dinner with my mother I saw they had Sculpin, so I ordered it.
Server: Oh, I'm sorry, I should have told you, that is the only one we are out of.
Me: Oh, well do you have another IPA? (my mother was looking at the wine list so I didn't have the menu in front of me)
Server: Well, um... Oh! You like dark beer right? Because you ordered Sculpin.
Me: Uh... Well I saw you had Karbach, I'll take their IPA (local brewery, name of the beer escaped me)

Sure enough when he brought out our drinks he brought me a dark beer as he had promised. It was Karbach Mother in Lager (supposed to be a Munich Dunkel but isn't to style at all).

I love that. "I'll get you a dark beer - problem solved!" You may as well play roulette with the tap handles.

While begrudgingly watching the Patriots game last night, a commercial came on for Coors and a friend says, "Hey, you're the beer guy... why do they call it the Banquet Beer?"

Really guy? Oh well. It made for an interesting google search this morning.

So, my in-laws came over last night to celebrate Christmas, and I got to talking to my sister-in-law about brewing. She commented that Goombah, her boyfriend (we all remember this guy), "brewed a few batches of beer, but they didn't turn out, so he went back to making wine."

HA! Take that Goombah! Normally, I'm one to cheer on anyone in the hobby, but not this time! You leave the brewing and the moral superiority to me. Have fun with wine! :rockin:

So, my in-laws came over last night to celebrate Christmas, and I got to talking to my sister-in-law about brewing. She commented that Goombah, her boyfriend (we all remember this guy), "brewed a few batches of beer, but they didn't turn out, so he went back to making wine."

HA! Take that Goombah! Normally, I'm one to cheer on anyone in the hobby, but not this time! You leave the brewing and the moral superiority to me. Have fun with wine! :rockin:

The joke's on you. His beer's still better than yours, Barely Bob. :D You'll never leave his shadow.

I know this name sounds familiar. I thought Goombah was a dog with big floppy ears or something?

I know this name sounds familiar. I thought Goombah was a dog with big floppy ears or something?

That's pretty much right. I still wonder how a guy on this forum had a picture of him.

The joke's on you. His beer's still better than yours, Barely Bob. :D You'll never leave his shadow.

Noooooooooooooooo...
(The unrequited cry of a soul witnessing the death of its delusions)

he is!

1934439_1204021984424_3827509_n.jpg

& does your SIL's boyfriend have 3 friends?

34321_1514370662947_4020026_n.jpg

Amazingly, he does. I don't really understand what she sees in him, but I bet he looks cute wagging his little tail while he peers into his fermenter.

Last night at dinner with my mother I saw they had Sculpin, so I ordered it.
Server: Oh, I'm sorry, I should have told you, that is the only one we are out of.
Me: Oh, well do you have another IPA? (my mother was looking at the wine list so I didn't have the menu in front of me)
Server: Well, um... Oh! You like dark beer right? Because you ordered Sculpin.
Me: Uh... Well I saw you had Karbach, I'll take their IPA (local brewery, name of the beer escaped me)

Sure enough when he brought out our drinks he brought me a dark beer as he had promised. It was Karbach Mother in Lager (supposed to be a Munich Dunkel but isn't to style at all).

Servers usually don't know anything about beers. I was in the same scenario before and i asked what other IPAs they had, She says this other IPA is similar (it was all local beers from Richmond VA) so i say sure bring it over. I take one sip and ima like wtf this is not an IPA. ask to look at the menu and it was a Vienna Lager.

Servers usually don't know anything about beers. I was in the same scenario before and i asked what other IPAs they had, She says this other IPA is similar (it was all local beers from Richmond VA) so i say sure bring it over. I take one sip and ima like wtf this is not an IPA. ask to look at the menu and it was a Vienna Lager.

I still like the good old yearly seasonal beers being new! :rolleyes:

I try to brew custom batches for friends and colleagues every so often.

My co-workers boyfriend tried to get in on the action.

Hard to take his begging for beer seriously when he asked for a beer with "low IPAs...if the IPA number gets too high, it's too bitter".

I've seen IBU/IPA confusion on this thread before...but from a guy I barely know as he's trying to convince me to brew for him? I woulda rather he said, "can you make something like Bud Lite?"...

Lmao..ive been asked to brew bush and Budweiser clones..idk..id much w rather be brewing that pliney clone I just got from northern brewer.

If I could brew Busch Light and make it worth my time/money... I definitely would. However, I've learned that Busch Light must be consumed from a can in order to get that maximum aluminum aftertaste that I crave.

And I'm not even joking right now.

more things I'm gonna say:

Guinness has a high number of IPAs. That's why it pours like molasses.

Stouts get their color from the special black yeast they use. They get the super dark flavors from all the IPAs they add while it's fermenting.

I don't like Bud Heavy. It tastes too dark for me.

All beer tasted like Bud before the 1990's. Then Samuel Adams started adding IPAs to all their beers, Except for their Light. They use APAs in that.

They call it a Black IPA, but it's really just a roasty dark ale with a lot of hops. Stupid "craft" beers and their gimmicks.

I try to brew custom batches for friends and colleagues every so often.

My co-workers boyfriend tried to get in on the action.

Hard to take his begging for beer seriously when he asked for a beer with "low IPAs...if the IPA number gets too high, it's too bitter".

I've seen IBU/IPA confusion on this thread before...but from a guy I barely know as he's trying to convince me to brew for him? I woulda rather he said, "can you make something like Bud Lite?"...

My MIL makes that mix-up all the time: "I like the bitter, high-IPA beers."

I've tried in vain to explain the IPA/IBU difference to her many times before. To her credit, she does enjoy a good IPA, so I try to let it slide (even though it makes me cringe every time I hear her trying to school other people on craft beer).

I thought I was having an amazing dream last night; brewing an IPA and cooking while entertaining a bunch of guests. We were drinking beer that I had made, apparently at some point in my subconscious because I have only two bottles left in reality. Everyone was having a blast until we finished bottling (because in the dream world I can brew, ferment and bottle in one night) and one girl screamed, "You forgot to put the hops in!!!" and fainted. My dream turned instant nightmare! I woke up at 3am to my wife comforting me saying, "It's okay I'm sure it will taste fine." She doesn't even like beer but had obviously overheard something pretty funny about beer while I was sleep talking.

Rough night to say the least.

I thought I was having an amazing dream last night; brewing an IPA and cooking while entertaining a bunch of guests. We were drinking beer that I had made, apparently at some point in my subconscious because I have only two bottles left in reality. Everyone was having a blast until we finished bottling (because in the dream world I can brew, ferment and bottle in one night) and one girl screamed, "You forgot to put the hops in!!!" and fainted. My dream turned instant nightmare! I woke up at 3am to my wife comforting me saying, "It's okay I'm sure it will taste fine." She doesn't even like beer but had obviously overheard something pretty funny about beer while I was sleep talking.

Now THAT'S funny!

It's definitely not going to have enough IPAs! I would have fainted too.

you might want to give Freud a call - that girl concerned about hops was clearly a 'mother image' - and the (green) hops were a major financial concern

BTW - did she have pants on?

you might want to give Freud a call - that girl concerned about hops was clearly a 'mother image' - and the (green) hops were a major financial concern

BTW - did she have pants on?

What?? Who wears pants at a party in a dream?

No concerns; it just shows how much I stress/think about beer while I'm zombie-clicking at work. Since I was up early with beer thoughts, I pulled everything out to brew as soon as I get home tonight. It's all waiting on my countertop measured out and ready to go.

I was at a local craft beer festival a few weeks ago and overheard a guy say to his buddy: "Never trust a man who enjoys a Gose."

Truer words were never spoken.

Latest posts

Back