Ghetto Lagering Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snyder

Reaction score
Got my Munich Helles in dicetyl rest right now. Had a question about gradually dropping temp. I've got a side by side fridge and SWMBO will let me keep my ale pail in there for a month or so. To anyone who does lager beers in their garage, how do you drop you temp 1-3 degrees per day? I'm thinking about setting the ale pail in a muck bucket with water, and just changing out the water with gradually colder water.

What temp did you use to ferment? If it's done fermenting just drop the temp. Lagering is usually done around 32 degrees so there's not going to be much yeast activity to preserve with gradually bringing it down that low.

i know that is the preferred method (to drop a few degrees per day) but i think a lot of people here have had good success with just putting it in its lagering environment without the gradual drop. i did this recently with a helles, just tossed it in the fridge on gas and i tell ya what, it already tastes nice.

I fermented at 54 degrees. I then did a D rest at 60 degrees, so that's where I'm at. I guess I'll try just throwing it in.

Back