Odd taste after bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

npoglese

Reaction score
Hello Ive been reading these threads for a while and love the great information on here. Thanks for all of your input. My question is that I brewed a amber malt kit and was instructed to use 3.3 lb can hopped LME and use cane sugar for the rest. I now know this was incorrect or at least not optimal for taste after doing more research. Any way after brewing my batch spent 3 weeks in primary and a week in secondary then bottled. I sampled along the way and the beer was beginning to taste awesome you could actually taste the stages as the yeasty taste worked its way out. It took on a nice amber citrous taste due to the yeast used.

However I just opened my first carbonated bottled beer and it tastes kinda sourish not at all like it used to taste, not so much yeasty but like its back in wort flavor prior to fermention. They were bottled 2 weeks ago. The bottle was nicely carbonated and there is minimal sediment in the bottle. Where could this taste have come from. I use glass bottles they are all new and were sanitized along with the bottle caps prior to use.

I understand the ingredients used and method made a weaker not as full flavored beer, however this aside at one point it was beginning to taste really good and it somehow did a 180 any input.

thanks in advance Neil

Does it have a wet cardboard flavor? Astringent,like sucking on a tea bag? Or tartness,like grapefruit? What quality of sour exactly?

more of a sour like a bad orange or grapefruit but mixed with skunked beer. Im working on having other people sample it and get a more accurate description of the taste.

they have been in brown bottles on a shelf in my basement in the corner there is a window in the basement but the beer is tucked around the corner in a dark spot that maintains 60-65 degrees

The sourness could just be the co2 that hasn't yet fully gone into solution. People often mistake co2 for a beer being sour.

Your beer actually needs to be above 70 for about three weeks (min) to fully carb and condiion....at 60-65 the beer will still need several weeks to get their. I suggest that you stop drinking anymore til they are truly done, and that you get them out of the basement for a couple more weeks into someplace above 70.

Then come back and see if the beer is not to your liking.

Back