Methinks my batch is tainted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg75

Reaction score
Remember all the problems I had with airlocks and what not? Well, I think damage did result from all of that. I bottled my beer today, and took a taste of it. Yuck!

Now, I'm not really sure what beer's supposed to taste like before it's carbonated, but I'd assume it would taste like flat beer. I've tasted it a couple times after primary, and it tasted slightly sour, but I didn't worry too much about it.

Well, today, after bottling, I tasted what little was left in the bottling bucket, and it was not a good thing. It was extremely sour. Now, there was priming sugar in there, which for all I know could be the problem. I kind of think I have a bacteria issue in my batch, however. I'll give the bottles a couple of weeks to condition, and see what's what at that point.

BTW, I bought an Irish Red Ale kit last night, and I'm going to brew tomorrow morning. I know about 1000% more than I did two short weeks ago when I made the possibly tainted batch. This time I've got some malt crystals and chocolate malt to do some steeping, as well as hop pellets. None of that prehopped malt b.s. this time! :rockin: The thought of primary fermentation with a properly functioning airlock is really getting my adreneline pumping too! :ban:

good plan saving it. you might find that the sour taste was actually just yeast (which will settle out in the bottles.)

good luck.

Back