Tried first beer from my first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jon7187

Reaction score
Long time reader, first time poster. Finally pulled the trigger and made my first batch from a beer kit. Tried one before it was fully carbonated and it ended up being a little sweet but otherwise pretty good! It is an Octoberfest and it will be ready in time for Arts fest up at Penn State so I figured Artstoberfest was the only appropriate name :)

Long time reader, first time poster. Finally pulled the trigger and made my first batch from a beer kit. Tried one before it was fully carbonated and it ended up being a little sweet but otherwise pretty good! It is an Octoberfest and it will be ready in time for Arts fest up at Penn State so I figured Artstoberfest was the only appropriate name :)

Congrats!! :D

How long has it been in the bottle? How long was it before you cracked?? ;)

What Oktoberfest kit did you use? I'm looking to do one of these soon.

A True Brew Beer Kit which can be found here: True Brew Beer Kits home brew beer supplies for the homebrewer

Not sure how it ranks relative to commercial oktoberfest beers because I am still developing my beer snob pallet (only drank cheep beer in college :cross: )

The beer was bottled for 4 days before I cracked it. I know I should wait at least a week or two to condition/carbonate but I was too excited and one wouldn't hurt!

Also another question: I only had enough bottles for half of the batch (a bunch accidentally got tossed) nor a decent secondary fermenter. I was able to snag a food safe plastic pale with a lid from my local ice cream place and put half of it in there while I bottled the other half. Should I be worried about the second half (specifically because it only fills the pail halfway)?

Thanks,
jon

Not to totally threadjack you jon but I too just tried a beer from my first batch! It is an extract Belgian White from Austin Homebrew Supply. I tryed it a week ahead of the recommended 3 weeks bottle conditioning just to see how green it was. tasted pretty good! The fruit flavors aren't fully developed yet and it has a slight metallic aftertaste (anyone know how i got that??) but otherwise very drinkable and delicious!

Congrats on your Oktoberfest jon! *toast to first brews!!*

I tried my first the other day along with my very skeptical dad. After a week carbing in the bottle I put one in the fridge overnight so we could try one before he headed home. To my surprise it was very good, albeit still green, and my dad said "so, you going to give me some of those beers to take home or not?"

He's not even much of a beer drinker so the fact he finished the whole green beer and asked for more to take home to keep aging for another few weeks was quite impressive. I'll chalk that up as a win in my book. I just can't wait to give it another few more weeks when it's really starting to hit its prime.

Back