Same Fruit, Two Beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LakesideBrewing

Reaction score
Hi all,

I currently have a 1.5 year old sour sitting on 10 pounds of cherries (2 pounds per gallon). The cherries are beautiful, organic, tart cherries from the Pacific Northwest, and are delicious! I'm planning on letting this beer go for about 3-4 months before bottling. After that I'm contemplating putting another sour beer right back on top of the old, (used?) cherries. I have a huge sour pipeline going at the moment so I don't mind doing an experiment. But I would like to know if anyone here has done this before? Or does anyone see any potential flaws with this? Any advice, opinions are appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike

Pretty sure the first batch will suck all the good stuff out of the fruit. Just bottled a 2 year old lambic style on peaches for 6 weeks and there was nothing left in the fruit. Other half of the batch is also on 10 lbs of sour cherries and after 6 weeks they're all white and all floated to the top. Pulled one or two and it's just tasteless pulp and pits.

There are some breweries that do this. Jester King off the top of my head, but I know there are others. I have personally done it 6 or 8 times with excellent results. Although the first beer has more fresh fruit flavor, the second beer picks up waaaaay more flavor than you would expect. Some of it is due to not being able to siphon off ALL of the first beer. I usually prefer the second beer because the fruit doesn't overwhelm the nuances in the beer. This is the Internet, so I'm sure a ton of people will chime in and say it doesn't work. I encourage you to try it for yourself and report back.

I had whole cherries in a sour scotch ale for a number of months. After racking the scotch ale off them, the cherries seemed like they might have something more to give. They hadn't turned white like someone mentioned. They were a pale red and a little mottled but not mush. So I racked a lambic on top of them. That was a couple months ago. I don't have anything to report on yet.

Hey,
I figured I'd reply here with my results. After I racked the beer off the cherries I added another sour beer right on top. I let that go for 6 months and then kegged that beer. The beer is very tasty! It has a great cherry flavor, but not super fresh cherry, more like in the background cherry flavor. I was surprised on how little color came through, it added just a slight blush of red. I would definitely recommend doing this. And I will certainly do it again myself!
Cheers,
Mike

Back