Chiller conversion question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedigitale

Reaction score
I was looking at the DIY counterflow chiller instructions and wondering if it would be possible to convert my DIY immersion chiller into a counterflow without straightening it out. I'm just wondering how difficult it would be to slide the hose over the copper while coiled.

Is it worth it, or should I just sell the immersion chiller at some point and buy new copper tubing?

I have not made a conterflow chiller yet, but I would imagine it would be pretty difficult. You have to lube the copper tubing up, even when it's straight, in order to get the hose over it. I won't go as far to say it's impossible, but I think you'll struggle with it, especially if your coils are pretty close. Is there some reason you can't straighten out the tube? I know, if you're working with 3/8" soft copper tubing there is risk of kinking the tube, but if you're careful, I would think you'd be fine. The new copper tube you're going to be buying is going to be coiled anyways, and you're going to have to straighten that out.

I was looking at the DIY counterflow chiller instructions and wondering if it would be possible to convert my DIY immersion chiller into a counterflow without straightening it out. I'm just wondering how difficult it would be to slide the hose over the copper while coiled.

Is it worth it, or should I just sell the immersion chiller at some point and buy new copper tubing?

Just built my CFC last night and it was a ***** to snake the copper through when straight...coiled I would imagine to be nearly impossible.

Ok... that's what I was afraid of.

Guess I'll hold off for awhile then get new copper.

Thanks for the help.

I don't know how well it wold cool. But could you just put the coil in a bucket, run the wort through the coil and use ice water in the bucket?

I've read posts by people with setups like this. It is possible, and effective, but not to the same degree as a counterflow chiller (at least this is what they have reported). I think if you were able to cycle the water, or at least move it around, it would be much more effective, IMO.

just sell your IC on craig's list, that should cover the cost of new copper.

Back