So I just scored(?) A lot of equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porter_Stout

Reaction score
I just purchased this lot of equipment from someone who retired from beer brewing for $120.00. The main items are a "cheap" stainless kettle, a keg, a CO2 cylinder with 2 single Guage regulators, counterflow chiller, one of those tall thin immersion chillers, 2 carboys, and 2 ball locks. The copper chillers need cleaned up and I have oxidation inside the silicon tubing in the counterflow. I would like to know the best way to clean these up. The keg needs new gaskets, of course, but it's all there. I also got minor things like a bottle capper and caps and a picnic spout. Most of all, do you think I scored big or did I waste my $120?

Attachments

• 20230320_112742.jpg
    20230320_112742.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230320_112843.jpg
    20230320_112843.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230320_112901.jpg
    20230320_112901.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230320_112854.jpg
    20230320_112854.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
My estimates:
Kettle, 8 gallons? $30-40
Keg $30
5# CO2 Tank $40-60
2 regs @$20-30

2 glass Carboys - free
Chiller - free :D
1 wooden tap handle - free

Total: $140-190 + freebies.

You've got yourself a decent deal for $120!

Although it depends on how large the kettle is, it looks to be around 8 gallons, and that would be very useful.
The "quality" doesn't matter all that much, as long as it holds water/wort and you can heat it.
Is there a 2nd kettle, without a lip, upon which the coil is resting?

The CF chiller:
Only the inside of the copper coil needs to be clean (wort side).
But that copper tubing looks very narrow, 1/8" or 3/16" ID perhaps?

My estimates:
Kettle, 8 gallons? $30-40
Keg $30
5# CO2 Tank $40-60
2 regs @$20-30

2 glass Carboys - free
Chiller - free :D
1 wooden tap handle - free

Total: $140-190 + freebies.

You've got yourself a decent deal for $120!

Although it depends on how large the kettle is, it looks to be around 8 gallons, and that would be very useful.
The "quality" doesn't matter all that much, as long as it holds water/wort and you can heat it.
Is there a 2nd kettle, without a lip, upon which the coil is resting?

The CF chiller:
Only the inside of the copper coil needs to be clean (wort side).
But that copper tubing looks very narrow, 1/8" or 3/16" ID perhaps?
I don't think it's 8. I'm thinking 5 maybe 6ish gal. Oh, and yes there is a second one that is bigger but they covered it in plaster or something. It also needs some plugs.

It's 1/4 i.d. copper.
OK, that's doable. I have a coil I use as a pre-chiller of that same 1/4" ID.
But it's short too, so not all that much cooling capacity.

Toss the glass carboys, though. Glass is sharp when it breaks.
That^

[EDITS] - Proceed carefully, and at your own risk:

The big, smooth one looks to be blue-greenish glass, which can be a good sign. Look for "Italy" or "Mexico" molded in the bottom, those are typically better made with decent quality standards. I have a few of those, they are thicker and better made. But yeah, a drop or hard bump can be disastrous. Still, they're all a dime on its side.

The ones from China and India (there's no "Italy" or "Mexico" molded in the bottom) can be utter crap and dangerous. Manufacturing standards there can be poor or nonexistent, as is QC. Those are not well molded and can have super thin areas (some have shown to be as thin as 1/16"!) and are bound to crack, often resulting property damage possibly severe bodily harm. Those should never be used and be safely disposed off, so no-one can ever (mistakenly) use them.

The good ones, if you handle them carefully, using a Brew Hauler or a crate and other precautions etc. to move them when full, and respect their fragility, they could be used for bulk aging, sours, and such where they're not handled or very sparingly. I would never use them (anymore) for every day routine fermentations, due to their inherent fragility and danger.

Last edited:
Used ball locks sell for about $40‐50 if they hold pressure and aren't dented. You got at least one set of QDs plus they aren't barbed, so even if you need new seals you got a little offset there. The regulator is missing the high pressure gauge and it is the slotted screw type. Not worth it in my opinion, someone else will be dumping one with a t-handle or knob. Still worth $15-20 if operational and not fished out of a wet bucket and rusty. You could make a dual gauge (two pressure settings) combined with the other one. The carboys list around $15‐25 but sit as people don't buy them. The working pot maybe $20--25, with a lid. It's serviceable for water as mentioned. You can get an 7-8 gallon pot with a valve and maybe a thermometer for about $50. The iodophor, the regulator, the homemade cfc, indicate it's been sitting for a bit. The dust too. Any bucket you pick up in a deal like this with stuff in it is probably worthless to ferment or bottle out if. Shows no concern for scratching. You say two ball locks but one keg does that mean two ball lock disconnects? If one keg you around broke even with a little bit extra.

PBW will clean most of that up. I would pump hot PBW through the CFC. If you had a strong line of thread, you could maybe fish it through with some small pieces of cloth tied to it. I only did this once and it may not be the best method. That small diameter copper is fridge water line, probably 25' or less. I built one 25 years ago out of 50' but converted it to an immersion chiller soon after because I wasn't comfortable cleaning it. You could do that here but 25' copper ICs are commonly dumped on the used market. That tight wound coil of copper might fit in a keg or an all in one. The copper itself is worth a little bit.

Back