Using hot ambient for faster carb?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StophJS

Reaction score
So of course being the impatient brewer that I am, I am thinking of ways I can hasten the carbonation process on this BB holiday ale. For the first few days after bottling I had it sitting at 64 F which is about where it fermented. Today I brought it into a warmer area which sits at about 74. However, there is a boiler room which is probably a good 10 degrees hotter. At this point, I can't imagine the yeast will create too many off flavors or anything with that little activity is going on for carbonation. Has anybody tried using very warm ambient temps for faster carbonation?

74F is ok,but don't get it ant warmer, I like to be on the safe side,since we're not just carbonating,we're conditioning the aromas/flavors as well. Can't rush that part. Conditioning takes it's own sweet time,no matter what. Compared to carbing,anyway.

The yeast will actually ferment the available sugars and produce CO2 faster at higher temps, but just like in primary fermentation, you can also expect off-flavors at high temps, so you might get through the process faster, but it is going to be at the expense of beer quality.

Also, even though the CO2 will be produced faster at higher temps, it will actually dissolve into the solution much more slowly at higher temps, so you are going to end up with LOTS of CO2 in the headspace of the bottle, but not much in the actual beer until you cool them down, so you'll still need 3-4 days in the fridge MINIMUM to fully carb the beer, or else you are going to have gushers.

Overall, I don't think it is worth it. You can either have subpar beer with questionable carbonation consistency after 5-6 days, or much better quality beer with consistent carbonation after 14-21 days at 70F.

I'd just get a good pipeline of overlapping beer batches going so you can wait the extra week or two to properly carb and condition each batch.

Back