Alaska keezer build... My first attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I certainly understand that, and having balanced lines is something that is very easy and cheap compared to other parts of the build. Did your stuff ever come from keg cowboy? They have great prices but are notorious for agonizingly slow shipping and poor communication. These days I get all my draft supplies from micromatic. A little pricey, but their stuff is first quality

It finally shipped Monday but yes I have been dealing with both the issues you mentioned regarding them ha. The reason I went with them was that they were one of the few that offered semi-reasonable shipping rates to Alaska. I will be ordering a bunch of home-brew supplies from someone in the near future and might go a different route. We will see.

Well Christmas came early today! Keg cowboy 3 tap conversion kit arrived today and looked great. Also got a new 5lb cylinder with the kit as well.
image-341762036.jpg

First attached the faucets and shanks and attached my beer lines.
image-3614889298.jpg
image-4176816229.jpg

Next, i got everything situated inside the keezer. Screwed the distribution block to my co2 holder and hooked all my lines up to my low profile taps.
image-904440267.jpg

And finally, made a trip to the good ol' liquor store. First beer, 1/6th barrel of Alaska brewing company's summer ale.
image-3684456095.jpg

Lunch time tomorrow I will get my co2 filled and have my first pour will be immediately after work!
image-2192744140.jpg

Nice! The first beer I tried in Alaska was their Amber Ale. It was pretty good. Also went on a craft beer tour (more like stumble) around Anchorage one time. I don't remember what breweries we tried, let alone what beers :drunk:.

Oh and I ran the calculations for my beer lines. Regulator set to 10 psi, keezer at 38 degrees, rise to faucets is about 24", beer line is 3/16ths, and a 1 psi residual at the faucet. Figured i want a co2 volume in my alaska summer ale at about 2.5 so it came out to be 2.96 feet. This means I will need to cut off about 24" from my 5 foot beer lines, so I might do that first before I pour.

I'm drinking the 54 beers in the 1/6th barrel my self this weekend. That's what I am serving for.

It's Alaska brewing company summer ale

First keg gone...
image-419834476.jpg
Guess its time to start home brewing. If I drink a 1/6 barrel every 5 days of commercial beer, I will go broke haha

It's beer. It goes with everything. That 1/6th barrel is only what 56 beers? That's 11.2 beers a day. I had help on probably 10 of the 56 beers if that makes you feel any better but also, I feel like of you own a keezer an aren't putting it to this kind of use, it's a shame! Haha.

And yes the days are long, that helps too. But it was 34 degrees F yesterday morning while I was fishing...

Great inspiration for my own build, a b-day present to myself from myself :mug:

Sounds like a good reason to build one! It was a lot of fun to construct, although I am afraid now it has created a monster in me. I can not get home brewing quick enough! I initially was planning on just running commercial kegs, although before I even bought the first one, this project changed my mind and now I am obsessed with learning/researching and gettin my home brew set up going. I guess it happens haha

worksnorth said:
Yes, home brew!!!! Home brew!!!!

I talked to copper kettle on the phone this week. He is out of town, but I'm going over next week and he is gonna hook me up with come better bottles and a couple corny kegs to get this show on the road.

907_fellow said:
I talked to copper kettle on the phone this week. He is out of town, but I'm going over next week and he is gonna hook me up with come better bottles and a couple corny kegs to get this show on the road.

Nice, you'll love it!

Be warned,

This hobby can consume you. One project begats another project. To me, piddling with homebrew projects is a huge part of the fun. There is nothing more satisfying than drinking a commercial quality beer that you brewed at home. Glad we converted you. There is a wealth of information on this site. Good luck...wnc

Be warned,

This hobby can consume you. One project begats another project. To me, piddling with homebrew projects is a huge part of the fun. There is nothing more satisfying than drinking a commercial quality beer that you brewed at home. Glad we converted you. There is a wealth of information on this site. Good luck...wnc

So how does this work? It's defying reality for me.

So lemme get this straight -- I spend almost 1000 bucks to make a keezer, then suddenly I want to spend 1000 more to build jockey boxes, get more kegs, make shelves, add taps, etc?

Damn you brewing!

I think you are starting to get the picture, my love for craft beer/homebrewing actually started out in ak, when my now girlfriend (who was born and raised in nikisky btw) talked me into ordering an alaska amber at this dive called the rainbow bar, somewhere there in the kenai/soldotna area. A year later, she bought me a homebrew starter kit for christmas, and it was all over but the cryin' as they say. I should probably buy her a ring, but I'm always broke from buying brewing stuff :D

I live near nikiski, and have been to the rainbow.

Ya apparently it does work this way... Spent way to much on the keezer, now my spending spree continues withe gettin my home brew supplies gathered up. Like I said, first brew going down tonight!

An offer was made that I couldn't refuse. It will allow to build another identical one as well as a 19.7 cf monster :). It was sad to see her go but I put it Craig's list just to see what it was worth and it was more then I thought haha.

An offer was made that I couldn't refuse. It will allow to build another identical one as well as a 19.7 cf monster :). It was sad to see her go but I put it Craig's list just to see what it was worth and it was more then I thought haha.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it sell for? Congrats!

Latest posts

Back