Overcarbonation??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bottled about 10 days ago and just about every other beer i open seems to be overcarbonated, either comes quickly foaming out of the bottle or when i pour it makes a big head and when i go to drink it tastes like a mouth full of tiny bubbles, what could cause this? I thought i followed instructions, i boiled about 1/4 cup water and added 3/4 cup priming sugar, dissolved, then added that to the bottleing bucket and siphoned in the beer from the secondary. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks:confused:

Maybe it wasn't fully fermented when you bottled?

Edited to clear up what I was talking about. I inadvertently used "carbonated" instead of "fermented."... sorry

Long Live Liver said:
I thought i followed instructions, i boiled about 1/4 cup water and added 3/4 cup priming sugar, dissolved, then added that to the bottleing bucket and siphoned in the beer from the secondary. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks:confused:
It has been awhile sense I've bottled but I think you need more water than 1/4 cup. More like 2 cups. You must have had a very thick sugar solution that you added to the beer in the bottling bucket. Maybe it was too thick and didn't mix well so some bottles got more sugar than others.

Perhaps there was some remaining fermentable sugars in your batch. Then you added the priming sugar on top of that. That is one explantion for what is happening. There may be other possibilities.

Did you use a secondary?

Did you take a final gravity reading?

He wanted to say: "maybe it was not fully fermented". this means that there was fermentable sugar left when you added the priming sugar and bottled.

Did you use a secondary? what temp and how long?

Kai

Long Live Liver said:
it was a lager, primary at 55 F for 1 week, secondary at 55 F for 2 weeks

I'm sure no expert or even informed when it comes to lagers, but it doesn't seem like that was long enough in the secondary. Not at that temperature.

Did you use a recipe or a kit that said what the FG should have been?

Long Live Liver said:
yes on the secondary, final gravity was aprox 1.02

1.020 is fairly high. Not that there are lagers with this FG (many Bocks for example) but I'd expect the off-the-shelf lager to be closer to 1.010. And given the fact that 2-3 gravity points worth of fermentable sugar will yield sufficient carbonation I'm not surprised by the over-carbonation.

Kai

Back