Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The hardest part is slicing thin. I had a mandoline, but I was deathly afraid of cutting myself with it so I tossed it. Back to a sharp knife. I fantisized about using my mitre/chop saw with a small-kerf 200-tooth blade. I think I'll abandon that idea too, seems like another darwin award idea.

I have a cheap meat slicer I bought from Harbor Freight YEARS AND YEARS ago and it works amazing! I use it for everything!

That's some serious knife skills there buddy! If you can do it that think and perfect with a knife. Don't bother with a slicer!

Cheers
Jay

Corned beef starts with brisket (maybe you knew that, couldn't tell). I've got two briskets brining right now (well, they are probably done). One is for st pat's day corned beef, the other for pastrami.
"Corning" is really just the process. Besides brisket, I frequently use chuck and tri-tip. Last year I pastrami'd a boneless leg of lamb and a few years ago I did a deer leg, both were amazing!

The hardest part is slicing thin.
Last year I started cooking the meat 1 day in advance and refrigerating to firm up. For corned beef, I would then pull the meat out on serving day, cook the veggies (carrot, potato, turnip, parsnip, rutabega and cabage)in the juice. About 30 min before the veggies are done, I'll set the meat on top to heat up via steam. This makes thin slicing really easy.

Looking for some input here on my first smoked butts on my WSM 18.

I bought 2 ~8lb butts from Costco yesterday and was planning to do an overnight smoke at 225.

What is my likely time range for this? Would like to pull it around 10am tomorrow AM and have it ready for a noon lunch. Was thinking to put it on around 8-10pm tonight. Is 12-14 hours in the ballpark for this size shoulder?

Looking for some input here on my first smoked butts on my WSM 18.

I bought 2 ~8lb butts from Costco yesterday and was planning to do an overnight smoke at 225.

What is my likely time range for this? Would like to pull it around 10am tomorrow AM and have it ready for a noon lunch. Was thinking to put it on around 8-10pm tonight. Is 12-14 hours in the ballpark for this size shoulder?

10 hours. Don't pull under 195, preferably 200F. It's hard to overcook them, so don't worry too much about butts, but I also have never let them get over about 205.

They should be pretty easy to disassemble - the shoulder blade will fall right out and the butt will splay into two parts. Should be simple to remove any remaining fat. As I said above, I shred in the mixer now. Shredding with forks (or bear claws or whatever) is kind of a pain due to the greasiness and the hot material. But I've done it plenty and I'm sure you'll fine.

What are you doing for sauce? I really like to lightly sauce with a tangy sauce. https://www.washingtonpost.com/recipes/sweet-and-tangy-barbecue-sauce/16561/?utm_term=.2c9fbc57da59

Just made these in case the pork shoulder turns out good.

57447534246__36110FD8-F357-4070-A8BA-0A332E1F2DD0.jpg

Brioche. Lots of egg, lots of butter.

Last edited:
I smoked a Packer today along with a head of cabbage. I’ll serve alongside boiled red potatoes.

Yep, just bought a corned beef brisket and soaked it in a big tub of water over night to get as much of the salt out as possible...then exact same cook as brisket, 250F to internal of 203F

These smokes look so nice. I have smoked many cb. Now is when I get them. I'll load up if I catch them on sale. I crust it with the sugar and smoke with hickory and cherry blended based on mood. I have never made a rub with less than 2 to 1 sugar? I see most recipes are more 50 50 or way less? I like rubs and need to put some effort there, get a shaker? Tips? Never soaked a cb. Washed, rubbed with evoo. Sounds delicious.

I will use ka on reheat of pork in freezer. Maybe make a tangy sauce?

I just smoked an 8 pounder and it took 10 hours at 275 in electric mb. Granted it was cold. I am guessing closer to 16 hours at 225 and lower. Probably taste killer. Or pull at 10 am and put in oven at 350. No higher because of sugar. The key is internal temp above 195 or other testing measures.

Last edited:
Dang it forgot to look for corned beef. Got 3 chucks and 2 tri tips. I know How to cook the Chuck roast because it's so fatty that I pull it about 198. I don't know when to pull the Tri tip. My gut is telling me that it's like rump and I should pull it around 1:30. I don't see a lot of fat on it. Any tips on the Tri tip? Then after it's done what do I do with it? Pull out my slicer and shave it all or cut it thicker

Done, 1.5 hrs or so at 275. I don't have time but would plan for reverse sear. Or maybe sear them and then put them in the smoker.

Dang it forgot to look for corned beef. Got 3 chucks and 2 tri tips. I know How to cook the Chuck roast because it's so fatty that I pull it about 198. I don't know when to pull the Tri tip. My gut is telling me that it's like rump and I should pull it around 1:30. I don't see a lot of fat on it. Any tips on the Tri tip? Then after it's done what do I do with it? Pull out my slicer and shave it all or cut it thicker
It all looks great! I know I'm late but I smoke tri-tip to 125 then pull for 10 min rest while I heat up stove or grill for a 5 min sear on each side.

Yeah, tri tip should be reverse seared like a steak and served sliced at medium rare (at least to me).

The big key is proper slicing against the grain. The grain goes two ways, so it's usually best to cut the tri tip in half and slice the halves separately. There are YouTube videos showing the method.

Yep, just bought a corned beef brisket and soaked it in a big tub of water over night to get as much of the salt out as possible...then exact same cook as brisket, 250F to internal of 203F
I have have one on now. Did you foil wrap mid-cook or let it ride?

My grandma was a San Francisco native and I watched her eat a s... ton of octopus. And it was all entirely raw. Sashimi so to speak and while this doesn't help on the surface it does. The point being that if it's great raw, and I am just throwing out a wag, my gut says don't over cook it. I would think very low temps and smoked to 140ish. Like shrimp it will get to rubbery if over cooked. Sounds amazing really.
Side note, being Jewish I have eaten a ton of smoked salmon, but never smoked one myself. These people we are hanging with have eaten lots of it. They are from upstate ne Pennsylvania. I have to give it a try.

Anyone done an octopus???
What size?
Whole octopus or just a tentacle?
Fresh caught by you?
Cleaned or not sure?

Bigger are tougher, especially where the tentacles meet the body.
Whole uncleaned, turn it inside out and trim out the beak and innerds.

Boil in salty water for 5 min and kill the heat, I'll add ginger and lemongrass, but not essential. Let it cool in the pan, then refrigerate overnight. When ready, slice and grill, saute or eat as is.

My grandma was a San Francisco native and I watched her eat a s... ton of octopus. And it was all entirely raw. Sashimi so to speak and while this doesn't help on the surface it does. The point being that if it's great raw, and I am just throwing out a wag, my gut says don't over cook it. I would think very low temps and smoked to 140ish. Like shrimp it will get to rubbery if over cooked. Sounds amazing really.
Side note, being Jewish I have eaten a ton of smoked salmon, but never smoked one myself. These people we are hanging with have eaten lots of it. They are from upstate ne Pennsylvania. I have to give it a try.

I haven't made one myself, but I've heard the opposite. Cook it long and slow to tenderize, otherwise it'll be rubbery.

yeah...simmer for like an hour to cook it then marinate it overnight...then char it on the grill. I don't think its a good smoking option.

Is that how they make calamari, boiled and fried? Maybe smoke it, then fry it?

Haha, reminds me of, what do they say in Texas about problems, boil it, smoke it, fry it, shoot it, run it over with your truck, set it on fire and if that doesn't work its an alien.

Back