Homemade hot sauce recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is ours. These have been fermenting since last years harvest. We just strained the mashes into bottles today. From left to right. Limon pepper (not lemon drop) This came out good but a little too floral. Bulgarian Carrot pepper, this is awesome will be making it again this year. Cayenne pepper, I don't remember what type of Cayenne this was from but it is good with lots of flavor. Jalapeno pepper, our Jalapenos did not get hot enough last year so its kind of bland will try again this year.

0604171226b.jpg

This year im adding

7 Pot Yellow
Scotch Bonnet Yellow
Tabasco (fermented)
Probably a fermented Thai giant orange sauce too if they are hot enough.

JDXX1971 - did yours form a white cap after fermenting so long?

No they were absolutely clear on top, I was pretty amazed. Though I did not open them once after I ground the (all ready fermenting) peppers into mash and put them in the fridge. These were my first attempts ever and I am very pleased with the results.

I've been trying to make the red salsa that the taco stands in the Southwest all have. Ya know, the ones they hand out in the little plastic containers.

Fairly certain it's mostly arbor chiles and garlic. Maybe a bit or tomato and onion.

Anyone else make this?

I've been trying to make the red salsa that the taco stands in the Southwest all have. Ya know, the ones they hand out in the little plastic containers.

Fairly certain it's mostly arbor chiles and garlic. Maybe a bit or tomato and onion.

Anyone else make this?

There are a couple authentic type Mexican joints by my office that have absolutely incredible sauce. I'd kill for the recipe...They are very similar so that makes me think that maybe there's a well known recipe behind them.

This could be a staring point. This looks more like the sauce I get.

And this

There are a couple authentic type Mexican joints by my office that have absolutely incredible sauce. I'd kill for the recipe...They are very similar so that makes me think that maybe there's a well known recipe behind them.

This could be a staring point. This looks more like the sauce I get.

Thanks! I hadn't found those two...

I'm skeptical of the brown sugar and vinegar in the first one, and may give the second one a try as I'm convinced it's mostly chiles, water, and salt (maybe garlic).

I made this , and while it's good, it is too tomatoey..

Seems like the theme is ancho, pasilla, and guajillo peppers. All available on amazon. Save seeds for future grows? I think the third recipe in my post will be the next sauce I make.

Try adding Numex Lumbre to one. Its about the hottest Anaheim at around 10k SHU. Very nice flavor too.

Anyone else make this?

Let me know if you are still interested. I have a recipe (gotta look for it) that i really like. Has Chile de Arbol and chile Japones.

For sure! The Bayless recipe seems too heavy on the tomatilos.

I'd like to take a look at it.

Sorry for the delay AZ IPA, here goes :
This is not my recipe, I found it somewhere online.
FYI, thanks for the brown ale recipe a while back, it was delicious!

Rehydrate dry chilis :
20 to 30 dry Chile de Arbol
20 to 30 dry Chile Japones
2 TBSP Chipotle Chili Powder
1 TSP Knorr Chicken Stock Bullion Powder
3 TBSP White Distilled Vinegar
3 cloves of garlic
1 TSP of Salt (or more)
1 TSP of Pepper (or more)
3 to 4 cloves (I skip this step every time)

No straining

Add more Chili water (from the rehydrating chilis)if it is too thick.
Keep adding until you get desired consistency.

I also add around 5 habanero peppers to give it an extra boost.

15 7 Pot Yellows (deseeded because i needed the seeds) :D
20 Aji Citos
1 Yellow bell
6 yellow/white baby carrots...about the size of your pinky finger
2 small apricots
Half a medium white or yellow onion
3-4 garlic cloves
1/2 TSP salt
1-2 TBS lime juice
1/2 TBS candied ginger
4 Whole fancy cloves
4 Whole Allspice berries
1/4 TSP Turmeric
Mix of dry white wine vinegar and brown rice vinegar. Cut 50/50 with water. Add just enough to cover the "mash"
Bring to a boil and simmer for 45min.
Total pepper and veggie weight is 500 grams

Adjust with lime juice, salt and sugar after blending and resting in the fridge for a couple days.

I've been eating a lot of this sauce lately, ever since I figured out how to make it. It's very similar to the famous green "Doña sauce" at Tacodeli in Austin, TX, and totally unlike anything else I've seen in this thread.

1 pound fresh green jalapeños
5 or 6 cloves of garlic, peeled
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 tsp salt

Steam the whole jalapenos and garlic in a vegetable steamer until soft. (this makes your kitchen smell wonderful) Allow them to cool. (I usually put them in the fridge) Remove the stems from the peppers, and put the peppers, garlic, and salt in a blender. Blend until kinda liquefied but not smooth. Turn the blender up to High and add the oil, a little at a time at first like you're making mayonnaise. Once you've got half of the oil mixed in you can dump in the rest. Blend until smooth.

It's a light green color and creamy, and if you hadn't just made it yourself you would swear it has avocados in it. It will keep for a few days in the refrigerator.

Yep, i make that verde but its really better with some blanched tomatillos.

I just blanch when im feeling lazy. No need to boil them hard. A light roasting on the grill taste better to me. A little lime juice and cilantro or culantro is nice too. Some people don't care for the cilantro though. Chopped Cilantro can always be added as a garnish.

byAE2GG.jpg

CjvJrfx.jpg

Fancy version with roasted and pealed Anaheims also
yfrWZlc.jpg

Its killer for Pollo chile verde
i2jshmA.jpg

Sorry for the delay AZ IPA, here goes :
This is not my recipe, I found it somewhere online.
FYI, thanks for the brown ale recipe a while back, it was delicious!

Rehydrate dry chilis :
20 to 30 dry Chile de Arbol
20 to 30 dry Chile Japones
2 TBSP Chipotle Chili Powder
1 TSP Knorr Chicken Stock Bullion Powder
3 TBSP White Distilled Vinegar
3 cloves of garlic
1 TSP of Salt (or more)
1 TSP of Pepper (or more)
3 to 4 cloves (I skip this step every time)

No straining

Add more Chili water (from the rehydrating chilis)if it is too thick.
Keep adding until you get desired consistency.

I also add around 5 habanero peppers to give it an extra boost.

how long will this last without canning?

I have had it last at least a month and a half in the fridge without any unsavory effects

Getting ready for my peppers to start coming around in a couple weeks, so, I finished using up the last of my fermented peppers from last summer. A blend of Cayennes and Jalapeños that had turned red. Lacto fermented in a crock for 6- 8 weeks late last fall November/December. Blended them post fermentation into a mash. Transferred to Mason Jars and they have been sitting in the fridge until today.

Blended thoroughly in food processor, added a bit of vinegar and water, strained to only get liquid and get rid of skin, pulp, seeds. Added fermented carrots (that I also pureed into a mash and then strained into juice) to sweeten a bit..... maybe 75% pepper juice/25% carrot. Boiled to sterilize and reduce. A bit of salt and vinegar to taste. Pretty happy with this.

As far as making this type of hot sauce from fermented peppers, I would definitely say that the Cayenne and Habaneros come out the best. Using fermented carrots to blend and cut also works very nicely.

hot sauce.jpg

I have been getting into the veggie fermentation thing this year. I have made some good pickles, kimchi and sauerkraut so far. What is the advantage of fermenting the peppers/mash if you are going to boil it later and add vinegar? Just trying to wrap my head around fermenting pepper before the crop hits.

Wow! I didn't think this thread would still be active! Ive been away for a while...

I have been getting into the veggie fermentation thing this year. I have made some good pickles, kimchi and sauerkraut so far. What is the advantage of fermenting the peppers/mash if you are going to boil it later and add vinegar? Just trying to wrap my head around fermenting pepper before the crop hits.

great question!

the flavor is still quite different even if you boil and add vinegar. But otherwise I wonder the same thing. Why wouldn't you just can it as is if you wanted to store it long term? That too would kill the all the bugs... Don't listen to me

Getting ready for my peppers to start coming around in a couple weeks, so, I finished using up the last of my fermented peppers from last summer. A blend of Cayennes and Jalapeños that had turned red. Lacto fermented in a crock for 6- 8 weeks late last fall November/December. Blended them post fermentation into a mash. Transferred to Mason Jars and they have been sitting in the fridge until today.

Blended thoroughly in food processor, added a bit of vinegar and water, strained to only get liquid and get rid of skin, pulp, seeds. Added fermented carrots (that I also pureed into a mash and then strained into juice) to sweeten a bit..... maybe 75% pepper juice/25% carrot. Boiled to sterilize and reduce. A bit of salt and vinegar to taste. Pretty happy with this.

As far as making this type of hot sauce from fermented peppers, I would definitely say that the Cayenne and Habaneros come out the best. Using fermented carrots to blend and cut also works very nicely.

This is almost the same as my process. Chop and salt the peppers (salt equal to about 7.5% of the weight of the peppers). Probably 4 weeks fermenting, drain and save the brine. Then food processor to turn it into a paste - sambal oelek.

Then add mashed sweet potatoes and a little sugar to the brine and let it ferment for a couple months. Blend all that with dried Thai chilis. Run it through the food mill to get any stems out.

You use carrots, I use sweet potatoes. I used some unidentified red peppers. They were an accident.

I ferment them for a few reasons......

1.) Just because I have them and wanted to try it.
2.) I do think the fermented peppers taste different - especially blended with something like fermented carrots.
3.) My fall season is crazy busy with teaching/coaching and I just don't have a ton of time to really do much with my peppers as they come ready ...... fermenting the peppers is sort of a way to keep them "fresh" without freezing them..... and without needing to really do anything with them at the time of harvest.
4.) In regard to boiling..... I really don't care about any "probiotic" type thing with hot sauce. We do a lot of Kraut, pickles, and other fermented veggies that we can get the probiotics from..... hot sauce is a condiment and just using a splash here and there..... so, boiling it for preservation and to reduce/thicken the sauce is really just about getting the sauce to where I want it. The vinegar and salt I add is just a touch here and there to taste.

I use a 5-7% type brine. Personally, I think green jalapeños turn out kind of gross. If you are going to do it - Cayennes are #1 in my opinion. And then perhaps blend in red jalapeños and habaneros as desired.

I do a lot of my pepper ferments in 1 quart mason jars so that I can do a jar here and there as I harvest them, and I can then keep the jars dedicated to one type of pepper and blend them later if I want or make a single pepper sauce if I want.
:mug:

I ferment them for a few reasons......

1.) Just because I have them and wanted to try it.
2.) I do think the fermented peppers taste different - especially blended with something like fermented carrots.
3.) My fall season is crazy busy with teaching/coaching and I just don't have a ton of time to really do much with my peppers as they come ready ...... fermenting the peppers is sort of a way to keep them "fresh" without freezing them..... and without needing to really do anything with them at the time of harvest.
4.) In regard to boiling..... I really don't care about any "probiotic" type thing with hot sauce. We do a lot of Kraut, pickles, and other fermented veggies that we can get the probiotics from..... hot sauce is a condiment and just using a splash here and there..... so, boiling it for preservation and to reduce/thicken the sauce is really just about getting the sauce to where I want it. The vinegar and salt I add is just a touch here and there to taste.

I use a 5-7% type brine. Personally, I think green jalapeños turn out kind of gross. If you are going to do it - Cayennes are #1 in my opinion. And then perhaps blend in red jalapeños and habaneros as desired.

I do a lot of my pepper ferments in 1 quart mason jars so that I can do a jar here and there as I harvest them, and I can then keep the jars dedicated to one type of pepper and blend them later if I want or make a single pepper sauce if I want.
:mug:

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like flavor difference is a key as well as the ease of fermenting. I only have hot cherry peppers(love pickling them and stuffing with string cheese and prosciutto), jalapeño and a cayenne that got put in with one of my packs. I'll buy cayennes if I need them and give it a shot this year.

On a side note, I have made several quarts and half gallons of fermented pickles this year. I've been playing around with 3.5 -5% brines and fermenting at 68 degrees for 5 - 10 days. All have turned out good. I use horseradish leaves for tannin to keep them crisp. I had one half gallon I open today that was downright mushy. 5% brine fermented for 7 days and have been in the fridge for about 3 weeks. I pitched them, they were gross. Any ideas why?

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like flavor difference is a key as well as the ease of fermenting. I only have hot cherry peppers(love pickling them and stuffing with string cheese and prosciutto), jalapeño and a cayenne that got put in with one of my packs. I'll buy cayennes if I need them and give it a shot this year.

On a side note, I have made several quarts and half gallons of fermented pickles this year. I've been playing around with 3.5 -5% brines and fermenting at 68 degrees for 5 - 10 days. All have turned out good. I use horseradish leaves for tannin to keep them crisp. I had one half gallon I open today that was downright mushy. 5% brine fermented for 7 days and have been in the fridge for about 3 weeks. I pitched them, they were gross. Any ideas why?

Do you cut off the blossom end of the cucumbers? Ideally, you want smallish cakes, no real seeds yet, and cut off the blossom end..... something about certain enzymes that can make it mushy. ( I usually just cut both ends off). I generally use grape leaves.... but horseradish leaves should work fine too. Pickles can be hit and miss in my experience..... I have had the same - great batch of crunchy pickles and the next one is total mush and goes down the garbage disposal

Yeah I always cut about an inch off both ends. Sometimes my cucumbers are too big and have too many seeds. With this batch something went wrong. Either it fermented too far or some other microbe took over. They were so mushy they were hard to eat. I guess I need to be prepared to have a random batch turn out bad. Gotta watch giving them out to friends and family. LOL!

If you are going to do it - Cayennes are #1 in my opinion. And then perhaps blend in red jalapeños and habaneros as desired.

Fermented ripe jalapeno and habanero turns out excellent. Ripe Korean gochu does also with some cabbage in the mix. It turns out like liquid kimchi with a bit more zip to it.

I normally use a starter culture for ferments and im able to get by with less salt. I haven't lost a ferment yet using a couple tbs of well fermented kraut juice per 1-2 pounds of peppers.

Culturelle sells a kids probiotic supplement for around $18 for 30 packs. Its supposed to work quite well as a starter too and its WAY cheaper than Caldwells. https://www.culturelle.com/products/kids-health/probiotic-packets

Fermented ripe jalapeno and habanero turns out excellent. Ripe Korean gochu does also with some cabbage in the mix. It turns out like liquid kimchi with a bit more zip to it.

I normally use a starter culture for ferments and im able to get by with less salt. I haven't lost a ferment yet using a couple tbs of well fermented kraut juice per 1-2 pounds of peppers.

Culturelle sells a kids probiotic supplement for around $18 for 30 packs. Its supposed to work quite well as a starter too and its WAY cheaper than Caldwells. https://www.culturelle.com/products/kids-health/probiotic-packets

I also use starter cultures..... caldwell usually (which is a bit pricey.... but, I repitch kraut juice as well.) I find it more reliable..... kind of like brewing beer and using a known source of yeast and a starter - just assures good results. Might have to give the probiotic supplement a try.

Weird that you brought up adding juice from a previous ferment, because I added a little juice from a finished jar of fermented pickles to a new jar(used the same 5% brine though). I wonder if the jar I opened yesterday was it and it just over fermented? I had forgotten that I did that. How do you adjust the salt if you add culture?

Finished this one today...Ripe Early jalapeno and Super Chile hot sauce with fresh lime juice.
O0nsW37.jpg

120 grams ripe Early jalapeno
40 grams ripe super chile
46 grams ripe Cajun Belle (deseeded)
2 tiny cherry tomatoes
1 TBS dehydrated onion flakes
1 TBS (heaping) Korean Gochu flakes
1 TSP (heaping) garlic powder
1 TSP sea salt
1/2 TSP cumin seed
1/4 TSP chipotle powder
1/4 TSP annatto powder
A little over 1 cup 50/50 white vinegar/water

Low boil 10min and simmer for another 45min or so.

After cooling, blending and straining
Finished with about 3 tbs of fresh lime juice and a tiny bit of water to thin the sauce a little.

Weird that you brought up adding juice from a previous ferment, because I added a little juice from a finished jar of fermented pickles to a new jar(used the same 5% brine though). I wonder if the jar I opened yesterday was it and it just over fermented? I had forgotten that I did that. How do you adjust the salt if you add culture?

Interesting.... that could be something perhaps. Recently, I have primarily just been doing single pack of caldwells for 1 gallon batches of kraut (3 heads of cabbage) and not repotting anything. For that, I am using about 2% brine.

For peppers, I cut the peppers up, but don't make a "mash". I use 5% brined usually and I use 1 pack of caldwell split between 4 quart jars.

I do think that lacto ferments kind of go through stages of ferment, and perhaps using the repitched kraut juice sped things up too fast....that could be a possibility

Another outside possibility to consider.... I always use RO/Distilled water for fermenting..... not sure if high chlorine or hard water or something could play a factor? Just a stab in the dark there.

Like I said though - I have always found pickles/cucumbers to be hit and miss.

Latest posts

Back