Bottling first brew soon, and I'm too excited.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sigthor

Reaction score
Ok, so my first brew, an American pale ale, is being bottled in two days. I've tried my hardest just to forget about it, but finally broke down and had to check it out. It was a little dark in the carboy, which worried me. I also knew I had moved it to the secondary a bit early, and wanted to take a hydrometer reading just to make sure. So i cleaned and thoroughly sanatized a turkey baster like device I had (I think it is actually made for oils, but I've never used it for anything) and drew some out of the carboy.

Low and behold, the color was perfect. A nice slightly dark gold color. Took a sniff, and smelled like hoppy pale ale goodness. Decided to taste it, and while it's hard to judge with a lack of carbonation and being so young, you could definitly taste a tinge of bitterness.

It is going to be hard to stay out of these for three weeks. But I'm brewing my second brew the day after I bottle, so it should be all good.

Pics:
What it looked like when i first racked it into the carboy, color hasn't changed much since then:
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/5691/0311092053.jpg

What it looks like in the test tube:
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/7113/0322091246.jpg

I like that setup with the bottle wand straight off the spigot, might have to try that instead of doing what i was going to do.

Also, should I boil my bottle caps, or will a soak in starsan do? I also just planned on filling my bottles with starsan then allowing them to air dry, is this necessary or can I just spray the inside with a spray bottle? Also, if I just spray how necessary is drying and how long should I let them dry?

I like that setup with the bottle wand straight off the spigot, might have to try that instead of doing what i was going to do.

Also, should I boil my bottle caps, or will a soak in starsan do? I also just planned on filling my bottles with starsan then allowing them to air dry, is this necessary or can I just spray the inside with a spray bottle? Also, if I just spray how necessary is drying and how long should I let them dry?

I soak mine in sanitizer....

Back