Session beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thor

Reaction score
I recently read the term "session beer" in Zymurgy, and never heard of it before. Am I correct in assuming that a "session beer" is one that can be consumed over, say, several hours?

If that's true, I've been referring to things all wrong these many years. I haven't been pounding beers, I've been attending sessions. I am not hung over; I am fatigued from session participation. I've not been overserved, I've spent too much time in session. My life now has new meaning, or at least, a new vocabulary!

nope, your not all wrong there Thor. a session beer can be consumed in a night's session :~)

and yes, a session is usually low alcohol, quafing brew.

I too have just recently been exposed to the phrase "session beer". Has this been out for a while and I (we) just crawled out from under a rock?

My historical session beer has been: When the sun is out, Miller High Life (glass bottles) during football games or Miller Lite cans on the golf course (hidden in my really big golf bag) or Tecates in the hot desert heat. Basically something that won't get you hammered if you got a long "session" in front of you and minimizes the bloat factor.

For evenings I don't think I have a session beer other than no touching of the macro beers. I'll drink a wide variety of styles but seem to eventually stick with IPA's so I guess those are my evening session beers.

I don't make a session beer yet although am going to try an american wheat this weekend that I hope to be in the lighter fare session category.

well, a real session beer would be like a Boddington's Pub Draught style of English ale (an ordinary bitter). traditionaly. but, i suppose any low alcohol beer would fall into the catagory of a "session" beer. stems from the English Pub's where the publican could drop in after work, have a session w/ the lad's and be able to walk home to mummsy. maybe Orfy or Blighty coulkd give us seem REAL insight on this one.....
but, that's my take on it :~)

I think another factor in session beers is the finish should be clean and not leave a strong flavor in your mouth. Milds, bitters, Octoberfests. Counter examples would be Left Coast IPA's, winter warmers.

Well here in Ireland we talk about "going for a session" to a pub.
usually means getting more beers in than you should. I don't think there's any particular drink implied when "on a session", but most of my friends would drink Guinness all night. Until the shots come out!

kenmc said:
Well here in Ireland we talk about "going for a session" to a pub.
usually means getting more beers in than you should. I don't think there's any particular drink implied when "on a session", but most of my friends would drink Guinness all night. Until the shots come out!

ah-ha, we got some inside scoop straight from the source. thanks knemc!:D

I picked up that term last summer when Sam and I were hanging with all of the greenboarders at the NHBC. It sounds so "beer-snobbish" but I love saying it. Quaff is also one of my favorite words.;)

ORRELSE said:
I picked up that term last summer when Sam and I were hanging with all of the greenboarders at the NHBC. It sounds so "beer-snobbish" but I love saying it. Quaff is also one of my favorite words.;)

Yeah, it's like a running joke. You'll score points with the chicks if when sampling a brew, you put on a contemplative face, comment on the beer, then finish it with, "A good session beer, indeed!" :D

Quaff is a good word. also "imbibe". There's a pub nearby which has "Imbibing Emporium" on the sign. Sounds so much classier than "Pub" or "Public House"
Very important to know alternatives to the word "drink" when playing drinking games, and rules state that you are not allowed to tell people to "drink". Hence Quaff, Imbibe etc are all allowed....

I'm starting a new practice. As a Beerologist I believe many of ones problems can be dealt with, over time, for an honest price, during one of my sessions.

I'm no longer a home brewer of fine conditioned beers. I'm a beerologist with his own lab.

20% discount for all homebrewtalk members. Though I believe we should chaneg the forum name to reflect the new medicanal sect. Beerology and Brewology deserve a finer standing. Perhaps we should start our own lobbying groups in our respective countries under a new international blanket association?

Hmm. what does one charge as a "fair" rate in now a days market. I feel a sudden need to speak in a fine manner and buy a BMW SUV.

Denny's Brew said:
I'm starting a new practice. As a Beerologist I believe many of ones problems can be dealt with, over time, for an honest price, during one of my sessions.

I'm no longer a home brewer of fine conditioned beers. I'm a beerologist with his own lab.

20% discount for all homebrewtalk members. Though I believe we should chaneg the forum name to reflect the new medicanal sect. Beerology and Brewology deserve a finer standing. Perhaps we should start our own lobbying groups in our respective countries under a new international blanket association?

Hmm. what does one charge as a "fair" rate in now a days market. I feel a sudden need to speak in a fine manner and buy a BMW SUV.

Just 'cause you can afford some fancy car on your high priced beerologist pay scale you now think you're better then those of us practicing in our cardboard boxes! A pox on you my friend! A pox on you an your BMW!:mad:

Do we really get a discount? You have any opennings Thursday afternoons? My insurance will cover it.

Denny's Brew said:

Huzzah!!!!

Back