Fruit Beer Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a 10 gallon batch, do you just double the ingredient, including the hops??
Yes, I believe this was asked earlier in the thread, I know cutting it in half was asked and the consensus was to cut everything in half.

Lemon lime hefeweizen that's been in primary for 10 days. Anyone else think this is infected? It tastes fine still and I saw something similar on my last IPA and that tasted fine in the primary as well. Still haven't tried it in the bottle as its too young.

IMAG0564.jpg

Lemon lime hefeweizen that's been in primary for 10 days. Anyone else think this is infected? It tastes fine still and I saw something similar on my last IPA and that tasted fine in the primary as well. Still haven't tried it in the bottle as its too young.

How's the fermentation action going? Change?

It has completely settled down a few days before this popped up. Still dormant at the moment. OG: 1.055, FG: 1.015. This is the second time I have made this beer and it still tastes good. I'm just worried it will spoil in the bottle.

Hopefully bottle it this weekend and see how it turns out. I need to serve this and my IPA to thirsty patrons at a home brew event so really hoping it's not ruined.

Nope not ruined. All the wheat beers I've done have that look after the first week or so. Must be the proteins or something in wheat, but I would pretty much guarantee there's nothing wrong.

I brewed up a batch of this yesterday and am getting ready to add the limeade - what's the best way to sanitize it before pouring into the fermenter? Boil, just sanitize the bottle, or any other ideas?

I brewed up a batch of this yesterday and am getting ready to add the limeade - what's the best way to sanitize it before pouring into the fermenter? Boil, just sanitize the bottle, or any other ideas?

Def don't boil it!!!

I've done this a handful of times and just pull the cap and the top with a quick hit of star San, pull the seal and pour away. Your beers already fermenting like crazy so your risks are fairly low

Just pour it in. You'll be fine.

Everyone above is correct, basically just pour it in...you can sanitize the exterior of the bottle, but the interior and inside the cap and threads was sanitized by the manufacturer so in my mind there was no need to sanitize it anymore....however do whatever will help you not worry!

Thanks for all of the replies, took the advice above and just sanitized the outside of the bottle a bit...fermentation is going crazy now!

Just brewed up 15 gallons of this, I added lemon lime to 2 of them and raspberry-lemon to the other. It is definitely lookin good in there after adding the juice :) I will let you know how it turns out. Funny thing the SWMBO just came in the room and said "your beer is making funny noises gulp gulp gulp". Anyway thanks for the recipe will post some pictures after keg day in a couple weeks!

Hey all newbie here. I want to brew this tonight and don't have time to go through all the posts about it to find out but what is a vigourous fermentation and what temp should the beer be fermented at?

Hey all newbie here. I want to brew this tonight and don't have time to go through all the posts about it to find out but what is a vigourous fermentation and what temp should the beer be fermented at?

Vigourous fermentation is about 12 hrs after you use the yeast to about three days after. One way to tell is by seeing how much air lock activity you have, if it is bubbling rapidly that means your fermentation is in full swing. Another way to tell is when you open up your lid and there is a lot of foam which people call krausen. As for the yeast it depends on the strain if using the hefeweizen IV people where fermenting around 63F to 65F I believe, if you had to ferment higher it could cause different flavors from the yeast that could mask your lemon lime flavor. Hope that helps my friend, best of luck brewing! !

Hey guys...I've read almost half this thread and still have a couple questions. I think I confused myself by reading it backwards and maybe the recipe has changed over time. Is everyone mashing at 158 degrees or 148? The recipe on the first page says to mash at 158 for 45min but earlier in the thread the OP mentions mashing at 148. Just want to verify.

I'll be brewing this Saturday and was able to obtain all the ingredients. I guess my only other question is are we supposed to sanitize the lime zest somehow? Or do we just pitch it as is?

I mash this beer at 158.

Perfect...thanks for the quick response. Also I figured out my other question...obviously I don't need to sanitize the lime zest since it is going into the boil :smack:

Looking forward to brewing this saturday

Slim I brewed your recipe Saturday and this joker is exploding like crazy, just started settling down so I'm waiting until tomorrow to throw in the limeaid. I have 10 gal of Sacs Irish Red in the fridge with your hefe, no room for blow off and needless to say i have a mess! Its cleaned up and certainly looks to be worth it! Pics will be posted!

Yeah it will do that to you...but as explosive as it is in a fermenter...it's that explosive in flavor!

Any idea on the gravity points from the Lime Aide?

The package indicates 7 servings per 1.75 liters @ 28 grams each... That totals to roughly .45 lbs per 5.5 gallon batch.

Would the sugar be fructose? I wonder how it's ferment-ability compares to table sugar?

Doing a tad of research indicates that they both ferment effortlessly.

I assume the OG of 1.051 was prior to adding the Lime Aide

I just started another batch of this over the weekend. This makes 3 times for this recipe, although slightly tweaked in one way or another each time.

I ended up having some WLP 300 I harvested for this recipe. Is 65° good for fermentation then? What is the main differnece between the WLP30o and hefeweizen IV? I haven't really used many White Labs yeasts since TBI doesn't stock them.

I plan on brewing this again for Burning Man in a few months also.

I would recommend checking out white labs website for yeast temps and flavor profiles. Also I would recommend washing your yeast if you continue to make a similar beer on a regular basis.

Just finished making this - been on my list for a while. But... ended up having to substitute saaz for the motueka, cascade for the sorachi ace, Wlp 300 for the yeast. Bad recipe to try a new lhbs for ingredients I guess.

Also forgot to get a lime so used a combo of lemon zest and lime juice. Oh and my mash temp dropped from 158 to 152ish over the 45 minutes. But had better than usual efficiency - the hydrometer sample was really nice...

So a version of the original - we'll see how it turns out!

So I will post my blueberry crush recipe in 2 weeks....but I will give y'all a hint, the blueberries come from...well blueberries, but the crush comes from orange crush! I will post the recipe without pictures at first....but it's my favorite!

Slim, did you ever post this? Found this nice little tidbit (and like others would love to see this "blueberry crush" recipe)... Tried searching and not easily finding it...

Brewing this tomorrow. Going to do a 10 Gallon batch and split it with Simply Limeade in 5 and Simply Raspberry in 5. Hoping it turns out!

So never been a fan of hefe's but the recipe looks killer. What's an alternative ale yeast I could use for this?

Slim, did you ever post this? Found this nice little tidbit (and like others would love to see this "blueberry crush" recipe)... Tried searching and not easily finding it...

I'm revising several recipes, this is one of those....I will probably have a new version of this later this month.

So never been a fan of hefe's but the recipe looks killer. What's an alternative ale yeast I could use for this?

I have used Mangrove Jack's Bavarian Wheat Yeast to good result twice now. I have been told it is a little more toned down than some of the other hefe yeasts and I agree that it creates a nice clean tasting beer with subtle clove and fruitiness.

The results I just got for serving this beer at a competition. Not a great result despite the fact that the beer sold out and a lot of the public ordered seconds, but to count many of my friends who did the same.

IMAG0624~2.jpg

I finally got around to brewing this. It turned out fantastic. In not usually a big fruit beer guy, but it works well here. Thanks for sharing Slim!

Latest posts

Back