Base beer style for a Wasabi experiment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tall_Yotie

Reaction score
Hey all.

So I have read threads of people talking about using wasabi, but never actually saw any results, just speculations. so I figure I would just make a batch up and see how it goes. However, I am trying to figure out what I should use as the base style of the beer.

Initially I was thinking a lager, as I want a clean, crisp beer that the wasabi can shine through, and not be fighting malts for presence. However, I haven't tried lagering yet, so don't want to have more variables.

So, what would you recommend as a neutral, light clean base beer? Perhaps a Kolsch? A wheat beer? I want this to be wasabi beer, not "porter/IPA/stout with a side of wasabi" beer.

Planning on a simple recipe as the base beer, so I know where the flavors are coming from and can adjust future recipes to compliment the wasabi (or to save cash in case it is an epic failure).

Thanks for any thoughts!

keep in mind there are 2 kinds of wasabi you can get.
the cheap powdered stuff that looks like green paste.
Or you can get Hon Wasabi.
I would opt for the hon personally

I think a wheat wasabi has some promise.
Or maybe soba wasabi.

Oh, I know a few good Japanese markets, so I would be getting a root and adding fresh strips/grounds to the secondary. No wasabi with horseradish and preservatives for me!

Wheat beer seems promising. Perhaps a Wit? Going to do a 1G recipe.

50% Pale Malt 2-Row
50% Wheat Flaked
East Kent Goldings (bittering only; should I avoid flavoring hops?)
Coriander
Bitter Orange Peel
Wasabi to secondary

Sounds reasonable? I figure I could save time (not wanting to do an all grain mash for a 1 gallon batch) and use wheat DME and light DME in the same ratios (adjusted for ppg), then up it to all grain if I like where it is going.

hon is just ground up radish.
you can get organic with no preservatives.

I would go light on the wasabi as it can be very bitter and overwhelmingly hot.

I dont know why i never thought of this.
My restaurant had wasabi gelato.

That grain bill looks good to me.

Back