Pilsner style beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
My brother has grown an interest in Pilsner style beers. I want to try and branch out as I like them too once in a while. My biggest question is do they have to be fermented cooler like lagers? I don't have that option as of right now, so I am just curious as to what can be done in the mid 60's to low 70's?

My brother has grown an interest in Pilsner style beers. I want to try and branch out as I like them too once in a while. My biggest question is do they have to be fermented cooler like lagers? I don't have that option as of right now, so I am just curious as to what can be done in the mid 60's to low 70's?
If you can get to the upper 50s/low 60s then Wyeast 2112/WLP810 would be just fine. I hear Mangrove Jack has a dried Steam Beer/California Common yeast available too. Might be worth a shot depending on liquid yeast availability.

If you can get to the upper 50s/low 60s then Wyeast 2112/WLP810 would be just fine. I hear Mangrove Jack has a dried Steam Beer/California Common yeast available too. Might be worth a shot depending on liquid yeast availability.
I might be able to get to that. I am still playing around with some ideas to get the closet a bit cooler. thanks for the info

A pilsner IS a lager but you don't have to ferment them exactly as cool as is traditionally prescribed. Upper 50's to low 60's as @rstrider suggests but don't let temperature get in the way.

Fermentis 34/70, a dry yeast and liquid yeasts WLP830, WY2124, L13 and OYL106 ferment clean even above 60°F/15.5°C. But even if you must put up with even higher fermentation temps you can use Kveik Oslo and Lutra will give you acceptable results. I've gotten a cleaner, crisp character from Oslo than Lutra but both will do the job even if fermenting in 80°F and higher temperatures.

I've pretty much put temperature out of my mind when it comes to lagers. I try to ferment as close as possible to "traditional" temperatures but when that becomes impractical I don't let it stop me. I sat around for years telling myself "when I can control temperatures better I can then make lagers." Then my thinking changed from please lager world, let me in to kicking down the door and saying hey mofo's! Here I am!

i use llalemand lager yeast at 68 degrees with almost no perceptible difference to the traditional 55 degrees. take a look at the warm fermented lager thread . you will be pleasantly surprised. i got a pilsner right now chugging away at 68 degrees.

also a swamp cooler is too easy and will likely drop you down 3-5 degrees with only a large container and a towel maybe another 2 degrees lower with a fan or ice bottles.

more importantly in my opinion is the stability a wet towel in a swamp cooler provides to reduce temp swings which i think are worse for yeast than high and stable temps.

swamp coolers have improved my ales a lot.

so go ahead brew your pilsner at room temp and enjoy. there are many threads and youtube videos on fermenting lagers at ale temps.

Anybody want to share their recipe's with me? LOL. I have one to make in the next week or two, but then I am open to a new style or process. LOL. Rock On!!!!!!!!
Pilsner recipes are easy. 100% Pilsen malt, 25 IBU’s of German noble hops (most at the start of the boil, some inside of 10 minutes), 34/70, viola. Clean, crisp, hoppy, perfect!

If you don't have, or don't want, a dedicated fermentation chamber, keezer, etc. this can do the job. I have one, and with a few frozen 1.5 liter plastic Trader Joe's water bottles swapped out every 12 hours I can easily keep my fermenting beer down around 50°. Plus, the nice thing about it is when fermentation is done you can store the bag away if you're short on space. It may not be a perfect solution but in certain instances it does have its place.

I brewed a smash Pilsner yeaterday

10lbs Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner
.5 oz Motuaka at FW
.75 oz Motuaka at 60
.75 Motuaka at 15
1oz Motuaka at 0

I stepped mash it
122F for 15 minutes - protein rest
145 for 30 minutes - beta rest
158 for 30 minutes - alpha rest
170 for 15 minutes - mash out

60 min boil

Fermenting with Lutra Kveik Dry Yeast at 95 degrees

Kveik yeasts are very tolerant of hotter temps. Lutra in particular is known to produce clean “lager style” beers in less than a week. Keg it up and let it sit in the kegerator for a week (or less if you use finings)

And done you’re enjoying your brew

I brewed a smash Pilsner yeaterday

10lbs Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner
.5 oz Motuaka at FW
.75 oz Motuaka at 60
.75 Motuaka at 15
1oz Motuaka at 0

I stepped mash it
122F for 15 minutes - protein rest
145 for 30 minutes - beta rest
158 for 30 minutes - alpha rest
170 for 15 minutes - mash out

60 min boil

Fermenting with Lutra Kveik Dry Yeast at 95 degrees

Kveik yeasts are very tolerant of hotter temps. Lutra in particular is known to produce clean “lager style” beers in less than a week. Keg it up and let it sit in the kegerator for a week (or less if you use finings)

And done you’re enjoying your brew
Cool I printed it. Might have to give it a try. Very much a different process. Never done a step mash before.

With the Weyermann Floor Malted Pilsner Malt you almost have too. At least that’s what I read in the inter webs. In the end I hit all my numbers and was over efficient in the process. So in the end I may end up with a slightly higher abv than I was shooting for. Not the end of the world though.

The Lutra started fermenting with in 2 hours and after 6 it was rocking and rolling. I expect it to be done with the fermentation tomorrow.

It’s a fun brew but a longer brew day.

Back