Cold IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SonomaBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
New trends confuse me.

I get it, IPL is an IPA recipe fermented cold with a lager yeast. Not a fan. To me tastes like somebody spilled hops in my lager.

But cold IPA? Why cold? The discussion I hear is that most use lager or hybrid yeast at ale temps for this style, but are actually fermented warm- at ale temps.

Supposedly the style was designed to make American hops shine in a clear yellow beer even more than a WC IPA by using Pilsner and adjuncts in the malt bill to lower SRM and using a neutral yeast for a clean ferment.

Is cold IPA just a WCIPA that is best served cold, like a lager?

I think it's similar to a WCIPA style beer, but with pilsner malt + rice/corn, some sugar and fermented with lager yeast. I see people fermenting them warmer, but maybe the original Cloudwater one was fermented cold? I dunno haha.

I don't see India Pale Lager in the BJCP guidelines, only International Pale Lager which looks to be very different from an IPA. Maybe just another name for India Pale Lager so there's no confusion? Not sure what the difference is either. :p I want to try a proper one.

Some good reads, thanks for the references. Still deciding whether I like this trend, still a fan of the early 2000's WCIPA with (gasp) a touch of caramel and sweetness to balance the hop flavor and alcohol.

Back