Constructing Kettles - need advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoulderBayBrewing

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm starting to piece together my all grain set up. I will be getting my kettles fabricated from stainless steel. I'd like to do 10gal batches. Is a 15gal kettle big enough for that?

Also how high above the "floor" of the kettle should the bulkhead for the valve be? Should this height be different for the Mash/lauter tun because of a false bottom?

Whats the minimum burner size that I would want when using propane?

And now for my last question.... One of my friends asked me if it would be better to build a MLT with a slanted bottom so that you could collect virtually all the wort? Here's a rough diagram....

kettle.bmp

Would something like this work? Has anyone ever tried this? One concern I can possible see with this is heating. I would be using propane, so I'm guessing heat distribution might will be different with a pot like this.

Thanks,

Dan

A 15.5 keg is plenty to make 10 gallon batches. So 15 gallon pot will work for you. At a minimum you would need a Bayou Classic SQ14. There are better ones that you can get. Kick A Banjo Burner (Single Propane Burners, Kick A Banjo Burner) would be way better.

A MLT will work on a siphon so a tilted bed will not be advantagous.

The height for the spigot on my keggles was the lowest I could get.

Wow! I love HBT! A little more than 20min of posting and already a reply! Thanks for the info!

I've thought of another question.... what size of bulkhead/3 piece ball valve should I used? I'm planning of getting pumps for my system so what would be the best size to use?

Thanks in advance!

Dan

Wow! I love HBT! A little more than 20min of posting and already a reply! Thanks for the info!

I've thought of another question.... what size of bulkhead/3 piece ball valve should I used? I'm planning of getting pumps for my system so what would be the best size to use?

Thanks in advance!

Dan

Check out Bargain Fittings for your bulkheads. Cheapest you will get and good stuff too.
I also agree with just getting a 15.5 gallon stainless keg and convert it for your brewing needs. Install the bulkhead on it as low as possible and then make a dip tube to the center for your draining and it will drain the entire keg (no need to mess with that slanted bottom you are talking about).

Heres a picture of ours...
IMG_2967.JPG

Back