I have a stupid question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaintAddict

Reaction score
I am trying to fiqure out the alcohol content of my beer. My final gravity is 1.012 which is where it should be but the spec sheet says that the final garvity should be 1.012 and the alcohol should be 4.5 to 5%. On the hydrometer for a content of 5% the gravity should be 1.032. Am i missing something? Thanks!

You calculate the alcohol content by the difference between the gravity before fermentation (or starting gravity, SG), and the gravity after fermentation (FG).

What was your starting gravity?

At 5%, with a FG of 1.012, starting gravity would have to have been about 1.050.

1.047 SG and 1.012 FG would be about 4.5% abv.

Yes, as Rick said, ignore the potential alcohol scale. It's not useful for beermakers, but helps winemakers ensure that the PA (potential alcohol) is high enough to have a wine that will be more easily preserved. For making beer, don't even look at it. Just use the specific gravity scale.

To calculate the ABV %, use this formula:

(OG-FG) x 131 = ABV %

I use (take the decimal out of the gravity readings):

ABV = (OG-FG)/7.46

ABV = (1050-1012)/7.46
ABV = 38/7.46 = 5.09%

(Note: I believe it was 7.46; I don't have my notes handy to reference.)

Edited to add: No, I'm not positive this is an accurate method, but what I was told when I started.

Yes, as Rick said, ignore the potential alcohol scale. It's not useful for beermakers, but helps winemakers ensure that the PA (potential alcohol) is high enough to have a wine that will be more easily preserved. For making beer, don't even look at it. Just use the specific gravity scale.

To calculate the ABV %, use this formula:

(OG-FG) x 131 = ABV %

bad yooper:D potential alcohol @o.g. minus the potential alcohol @f.g. is the alcohol content of your brew. they just did the math for you right there on your hydrometer:tank:

Back