Interesting temperature discovery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivzavod

Reaction score
I use digital thermometers that are attached to all of my primaries. Right now I am in the processing of preparing to move a batch from primary and into the keg and the temp on the thermometer was 68F. I opened my bucket and dropped a floating thermometer and the temperature is 64F. My thermostat is set to 70F and people always say that temperature of the wort is higher than ambient but it seems that its the opposite in my case. I would take -4F anytime over +4F ;)

People alway say that the temperature of the wort is higher than ambient, during active fermentation.

Makes a difference. And, thermostats aren't usually very accurate. +/-3 degrees is a common tolerance for them, IIRC.

Is your fermenter on the floor? There can be a temp difference between the air at the floor and up on the wall where your thermostat is. Might also check and see what the ambient temp really is. Thermostats can be off. Thermometers too.

I have a digital thermometer attached to the outside of the bucket and the difference of 4F was from outside the bucket and inside the bucket.

Hmmm... I'd have to think that one of the thermometers were off. I could see them being the same, but not that your wort would be colder. Only way I could see it is if the fermenter is sitting right on a cold concrete or tile floor or something like that.

Hmmm... I'd have to think that one of the thermometers were off. I could see them being the same, but not that your wort would be colder. Only way I could see it is if the fermenter is sitting right on a cold concrete or tile floor or something like that.

Wort (water) has a lot of thermal mass. If it was cold a couple hours ago, it could take time for your beer to catch up to room temp.

Back