Is us05 clean at 18c?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali01

Reaction score
This is my second attempt at a dark beer
I've avoided a few mistakes I made last time
This time I've added temp control
There are two probes inside the wort, one is connected to a thermostat and the other one is a thermometer
I'm getting a consistent temperature of 18.1c
Is it too cold? It's an oatmeal stout so I don't wanna get any fruity esters, I want it to be as clean as possible
Some say us05 produces peach esters at the lower end of the ideal temp
The problem is it's my own homemade fridge, I designed it to get as low as 3c
It wasn't designed for that high of a temp, even with the lid open, I can't get it to go anywhere higher than 18.1

I thought it was S-04 that did that. Some have claimed it shows differently when fermented in the upper 50's and lower 60's F or 15 - 18°C. Not sure if your 0.1 over that guarantees you won't get it. Or is it the other way around and you get clove or spicey notes at low temps and peachy fruity notes at the upper end of temps?

I've haven't had any thing like peach flavors in my beers I ferment using US-05 or S-04 at a ambient of 20°C and let coast up a high as 24°C briefly when the krausen is active for a few hours.

I did get some really good peachy flavors with Harlequin hops I used recently in a beer. But that was intentional.

If you just go ahead and make it, you'll know what it does for your conditions. Providing you keep notes and do everything the same. Then you can make corrections for the next batch if you didn't like the first batch.

Last edited:
I also got a ph
I thought it was S-04 that did that. Some have claimed it shows differently when fermented in the upper 50's and lower 60's F or 15 - 18°C. Not sure if your 0.1 over that guarantees you won't get it. Or is it the other way around and you get clove or spicey notes at low temps and peachy fruity notes at the upper end of temps?

I've haven't had any thing like peach flavors in my beers I ferment using US-05 or S-04 at a ambient of 20°C and let coast up a high as 24°C briefly when the krausen is active for a few hours.

I did get some really good peachy flavors with Harlequin hops I used recently in a beer. But that was intentional.

If you just go ahead and make it, you'll know what it does for your conditions. Providing you keep notes and do everything the same. Then you can make corrections for the next batch if you didn't like the first batch.
Thanks for the reply
Yes I'll do as you said
I'm trying to make corrections every new batch, last time I didn't have a wort chiller or a temp controlling device, ambient temp was 26, I think it might've gone up to 30c, I didn't know fermentation produces heat
I could taste nothing but alcohol, it was fusel alcohols, it was awful

I think it might've gone up to 30c, I didn't know fermentation produces heat
I could taste nothing but alcohol, it was fusel alcohols, it was awful
30°C is pretty high for many of the common ale yeasts. But 26°C is the upper end of what they call the ideal range for US-05 and others. Doesn't mean you can't exceed it. But the recipe you make needs to take those things into account.

If you have a recipe and it gives fermentation temp, then you probably should try to go by that. Otherwise that's another opportunity for your beer not to be the same beer the recipes author makes with that recipe.

For the last half dozen or more beers I've been monitoring the internal temps. Usually it's less than a day that the FV heats up very much more than the ambient air temps around it. I only make 2½ gallons or less at a time. So with a larger batch, YMMV.

30°C is pretty high for many of the common ale yeasts. But 26°C is the upper end of what they call the ideal range for US-05 and others. Doesn't mean you can't exceed it. But the recipe you make needs to take those things into account.

If you have a recipe and it gives fermentation temp, then you probably should try to go by that. Otherwise that's another opportunity for your beer not to be the same beer the recipes author makes with that recipe.

For the last half dozen or more beers I've been monitoring the internal temps. Usually it's less than a day that the FV heats up very much more than the ambient air temps around it. I only make 2½ gallons or less at a time. So with a larger batch, YMMV.
But that less than a day is enough to cause the yeasts to produce fusel alcohols right?

But that less than a day is enough to cause the yeasts to produce fusel alcohols right?
Probably for the time that the yeast is actively fermenting when at a high temp. And probably a lot of time makes more difference than a little bit of time. So a brief excursion of temperature is probably okay.

I don't know how high a temp that will be for US-05. I've used it quite a bit and it's always been clean at the temps I gave you. Never have detected any harsh alcohol flavors. My beers are down in the 5 - 6% ABV occasionally up in the 7 - 7.5% ABV range.

You should probably wait till some other members weigh in on the fusel alcohols thing. Since I've never had any issue that I'm aware of, I've never read more than just very little about it.

I've seen several reports on this forum of peachy esters being present with US-05 if temp is at 64F (about 18C) or lower. I can't say I've noticed that myself but I like to run it at 68F(20C), and it is pretty clean.

I've had US-05 give me peach flavours at much higher temperatures. Haven't had any issues with low temperatures yet (I have a RIS going at 17°C now, haven't tasted it yet). Even in the high temperature peachy beer the esters were gone after a while.

I'll agree that US-05 gives a peachy flavor at various temperatures. It seems that some people like me get it almost all the time and don't like 05. For that reason, I would always suggest Nottingham at 65 F for any beer that needs a very clean profile.

US-05 can throw some weird, peachy flavors at lower temps, like below 60F. I've never taken that yeast above 70F, so haven't noticed it on the high end.

My ideal range for that yeast is about 63-68F.

I choose yeasts based on the temp I have at any given time. To me your fermentation chamber is perfect for Notty , BRY-97.2565 and 1007. I pitch these at 55*-57* for first 3 days then bring to 64* to finish and always get clean fermentations.

Back