Wheat Malt Extract: 30% Wheat, 70% Barley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeBeer

Reaction score
I'm planning to brew some wheat beers. But my LHBS has only this wheat extract available. I know that the % of wheat is very less (30% wheat). Any opinion on using this and and the expected outcome?
Thank you!

I use Briess Bavarian wheat DME which is 60% wheat.

I'd think a mere 30% wouldn't produce a very wheat-like beer. Can you do a partial mash? If not can you get the Briess DME?

I gave up on buying the bulk of my ingredients from my LHBS as I decided to order it once instead of going in and they stuck it to me BAD! And when I called him on it it took quite some time to get it fixed, and he still charged $1 more, plus charged me the higher shipping fee, which went against their policy. Now I just buy my grains from them since they'll sell exact amounts.

I prefer to support small/local business, but now I just deal with MoreBeer as they are comparable in price to others, but offer free shipping on orders over $59, which I always do. I certainly don't want to suggest you no longer support your LHBS though.

I'm planning to brew some wheat beers. But my LHBS has only this wheat extract available. I know that the % of wheat is very less (30% wheat). Any opinion on using this and and the expected outcome?
Thank you!

Wheat is difficult to work with even on the large scale of a company like Briess so they only make the wheat malt with that %. If you want to have more wheat you'll probably need to learn to brew all grain. If you do decide to do that, you might want to learn about the BIAB system because it better deals with the sticky mash than a conventional tun.

As was mentioned you could just go with that extract and likely be fine, although most of the wheat recipes I've seen/brewed use about 50-60% wheat. That would be easy to achieve if you do a partial mash BIAB in your brewpot. For a 5 gallon batch replacing about 2 lbs of your wheat DME with 4 lbs wheat malt would get you in range. As was mentioned, using the bag would avoid any lautering issues with a 100% wheat mash. Deathbrewer has a partial mash sticky at the top of this forum, but the process is really not much harder than steeping grains.

Thanks guys! I'll try with this 30% wheat and see how it turns out. Homebrewing is in the nascent stages here in India so getting grains and other raw materials is extremely tough. This was the best I could find.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Home Brew mobile app

Back