Rehydrating dry yeast.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkandrust

Reaction score
This is my second time using us-05. Last brew I rehydrated one packet in 1 cup of water. If I am using 2 packs do I use 1 or 2 cups of water?

I would use two cups but I'm a noob. You might think of using liquid yeast you will get a better beer and make a starter happy brewing

First, if you are rehydrating two sachets of yeast then just double the water and rehydrate that way. I would also double the time so all the yeast have plenty of time to naturally rehydrate before stirring.

In addition, liquid yeast does not make better beer then dry yeast so thats 100% not true. Liquid yeast simply provides more options as far as strains are concerned.

Rehydrate as per the manufacturer's product sheet, easy to find. In general an 11.5 gram packet would be rehydrated in ten times its own weight of water, so 115 ml (a little less than half a cup). Specific strains' instructions can vary.

Following the instructions on the product sheet will never lead you far astray.

1 cup per pack sounds high, Danstar calls for 4oz. if I recall correctly, which is my rule of thumb for all dry yeast. Served me well so far. YMMV of course.

You're over thinking this. The amount of water makes little difference as long as you're not using an insanely small amount.

You might think of using liquid yeast you will get a better beer and make a starter happy brewing

Disagree strongly. Liquid yeast does not mean a better beer. For many styles, you do need liquid yeast to do them accurately and truer to style. And it's fun and helpful to select from a much broader set of yeast strains, yes. But using US-05 as an example: it's the same yeast as 1056 or WLP001. All are the Chico strain. If treated properly, all should produce the same results. There's nothing inherently worse about dry yeast.

Sorry, pet peeve. :mug:

You're over thinking this. The amount of water makes little difference as long as you're not using an insanely small amount.

I'm not overthinking it at all. I am simply researching, in order to obtain the best result possible.

Back