Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For anyone that doesn't want to click on the NSFW link... the audio in this dramatic reenactment sums it up nicely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not both?

GrapefruitSculpin_Primary1.png

For me, at least, the opening on that would be way too small....and I don't even want to think about using the canned version! :eek:

The good thing about makgeolli (Korean sour rice beer) is that all Koreans are familiar with the concept of yeast on the bottom of a bottle of homebrew and have no problem with it.

The bad thing about makgeolli (KOrean sour rice beer) is that if you hand some Koreans a bottle of homebrew the first thing they do is turn it upside down and shake it to try to rouse up the yeast like you should do before you pour makgeolli.

Hopefully you don't do what was in the other video... :drunk:

Though we wouldn't judge you if you did. Equal opportunity fair place that this is and all. My coworkers lost it when they saw/heard that one

I remember the video in question, now that I re-watched it...oh my jebus lord...I got a better place to stick it...then some nightly fruiting...:confused:...then, of course, she gives the obligatory, " give me a tetanus shot before you stick me with that rusty friggin' thing"!

last night at brew club meeting

forget who brought it, but one of the beers started a discussion on the various tastes of vomit when you eat different stuff

me: holy crap, dudes... do you guys really sit there and ponder the flavor profile after you puke?

Stouts are the beer you get from the bottom of the barrel, and light beer is served from the top of the barrel. This guy really believed this.

Where does this old myth come from?

Maybe if you're re-pitching it's easier to go from lighter beer to dark beer so since you're dumping the stuff from the bottom of the barrel into the dark beer wort then the stuff from the bottom of the barrel must be dark beer?

Or am I just overthinking it?

Damn. I just came here to post that I heard an old guy in sales, "they made a beer that doesn't give you a hangover finally, yeah it's made out of ginseng". Stupid.

Did you also hear the recipe was created by Kim Jong Un on his first time homebrewing? He hit his gravity dead-on, used unicorn tears as the sparge water, and it currently holds a perfect rating on BA. :D

Ever throw up a bag of Dorito's and about a gallon of Labatt Blue after taking some pain killers? There are no words to describe how foul...

Maybe if you're re-pitching it's easier to go from lighter beer to dark beer so since you're dumping the stuff from the bottom of the barrel into the dark beer wort then the stuff from the bottom of the barrel must be dark beer?

Overthinking it. Just a ignorant statement -- pretend it is an email from your great uncle that starts with "Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: OMG YOU WONT BELIEVE THIS!!!1!"

Was watching some guys bottle beer. First guy had done it a few times before. Other guy was brand new and was interested in helping.

Inexperienced guy says:
"What happens if we don't fill the bottle up all the way before we cap it?"

Experienced guy gets very serious and says:
"Never EVER do that. Are you listening carefully? NEVER DO IT. It's very dangerous. The bottle will explode. Think about it -- AIR IS PRESSURE. Makes sense right?"

After that, the inexperienced guy says "Hey man I have kids and this hobby seems very dangerous."

He was completely turned off and eventually sorta just went home.

zc

Did you also hear the recipe was created by Kim Jong Un on his first time homebrewing? He hit his gravity dead-on, used unicorn tears as the sparge water, and it currently holds a perfect rating on BA.

Yeah, I did hear that. The old guy also said Kim used a glass carboy. Can you believe that? Talk about flirting with death.

I don't overhear much, but I like to read all the recent reviews of something I just checked in on Untappd. Occasionally people's comments or discussions with their friends on their check ins are way off base. Recently someone told their friend that something was a nice smoked beer when whatever it was had no smoked malt in the grain bill whatsoever.

Perhaps the idea that in Germany bock beer is made with the stuff they cleaned out of barrels? That is what I had heard or read many years ago... What I know about brewing now it doesn't really make sense, but back in the day... Bock on the shelves spring has arrived.:ban:
Here's info about bock not a word about cleaning the barrels...
http://www.germanbeerinstitute.com/bockbier.html

Ever throw up a bag of Dorito's and about a gallon of Labatt Blue after taking some pain killers? There are no words to describe how foul...

Looks like I wasnt the only one who was determined to go entirely against the directions on the prescription. I literally had my dad sneaking me in 32oz growlers to split in the hospital. Apart from maybe that liquid morphine stuff, that beer kept me in better spirits than anything else

I don't know if these count, but I read these on this site and they made me laugh a bit..

"Brewing anything less than 6% ABV is just a waste of my time"
and
"I refuse to buy any beer which doesn't list the hops used"

(Names withheld as I would like to avoid a flame war. )

I don't know if these count, but I read these on this site and they made me laugh a bit..

"Brewing anything less than 6% ABV is just a waste of my time"
and
"I refuse to buy any beer which doesn't list the hops used"

(Names withheld as I would like to avoid a flame war. )

Stop quoting me!
The first one atleast!

Back