Dormant Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPA_33

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was looking for a sticky that talked about this I was certain there was one but I can't find it. Sorry for re-asking if that's the case...

My newest batch has been in primary only since Saturday 4pm. It was vigorously fermenting the first two days which is normal for me. Then it slowed but the krazen was still very high. (all is good)

This morning I woke up and the pilot light was off on our heater so the house was freezing (I'm in Buffalo). I noticed the krazen all but gone. Since then, I wrapped the beer in a blanket and the heat is back on.

Do I have a chance the yeast just went dormant or should I start crying now? Thanks guys.

Big temperature fluctuations aren't good for the yeast, but since it was a gradual change in temperature, I'm sure it's fine. The beer sounds like it was just about finished anyway.

If you're really wondering if the cold caused the yeast to stall a bit, you could check an SG and see what it is, and then check tomorrow to see if it's still dropping. If the SG is a bit higher than it should be, you could just cover the fermenter and gently swirl it a bit to re-rouse the yeast that might have gone to sleep.

If it were me, I'd just wait a couple more days and then check the SG.

Thanks Yooper, I appreciate the response.

You say it sounds like it was almost done, where is that coming from? It's only been a couple days.

My plan is to be patient here, I've had things happen before that I thought were detrimental and still ended up with a nice brew so I'm using that philosophy here.

Ok, winter classic time.

Back