Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To a Northern Irishman like myself fries are multiple servings of "fry" consisting bacon, sausage, black pudding, fried tomato, fried mushroom, fried egg, fried soda bread and fried potato bread. Served with a mug of tea and eaten at breakfast my fries are a lot more exciting than yours, hence deep fried potatoes are chips. [emoji12]

But ours are fries too. We named them after the French. Thats why ketchup is allowed. Mayo is disallowed as it would make them look too much like "I surrender" white flags and we are nothing if not tolerant of peoples Nationalities here.

Beer-Humor-funny-picture-72.jpg

Huh? The "French" part comes from the way they're cut. Cutting things into long, rectangular strips like that is called "frenching." You can French cut all kinds of things: potatoes (duh), carrots, turnips, etc.

You forgot beans!

Also see julienne cut (related to Frenching).

But ours are fries too. We named them after the French. Thats why ketchup is allowed. Mayo is disallowed as it would make them look too much like "I surrender" white flags and we are nothing if not tolerant of peoples Nationalities here.

I like to dip my French fries in ice cream.

Apologies in advance, but I HAVE to steal this idea!

Have at it, man! (Unless you own a brewery, in which case we need to discuss royalty agreements.) :mug:

My two hang-ups are...

1) Again, cleaning the jugs to reach a point resembling food-grade. Thoughts, anyone?
2) I can't imagine those things have any kind of pressure rating for bottling. However, if you keg, they should make a suitable short-term transportation container. Imagine showing up at a party with a box full of them!

It is a CBA (Craft Beer Alliance) brand which is mostly owned by A-B InBev. It may be entirely owned by them, but I'm not 100% sure.

The other breweries licensed to produce the Kona brand are all located on the mainland in Oregon, Washing and New Hampshire.

But the main brewery is on the big island.

Never been to the main brewery on Hawaii. The menu's that list location have Kona as Portland based. The resturants seem to up sell Maui Brewing and their local breweries more.

Have at it, man! (Unless you own a brewery, in which case we need to discuss royalty agreements.) :mug:

My two hang-ups are...

1) Again, cleaning the jugs to reach a point resembling food-grade. Thoughts, anyone?
2) I can't imagine those things have any kind of pressure rating for bottling. However, if you keg, they should make a suitable short-term transportation container. Imagine showing up at a party with a box full of them!

Commission some in food grade pet? Maybe see if you can arrange aluminum oil cans? Heck. You could always go with the old style oil cans.

I for one refuse to drink Mexican beer pretending to be Texas beer, especially when there are so many good Texas craft breweries.

All of my coworkers that worked in Austin would only talk about Shiner, Dr. Pepper, and BBQ. That's as far as my Texas exposure goes.

All of my coworkers that worked in Austin would only talk about Shiner, Dr. Pepper, and BBQ. That's as far as my Texas exposure goes.

when we worked in Wyoming whenever some guy was rambling about Texas, one of my coworkers/friends would go, "Texas... Texas? Never heard of it. Is it that county in Oklahoma?"

my wife worked in Texas for a little while. she was explaining to one of her Wyoming coworkers about Texas pride and how they would cut their cheese blocks in the shape of the state. her coworker proudly claimed, "Wyoming does that too!" my wife replied, "Most cheese is cut into rectangles."

I for one refuse to drink Mexican beer pretending to be Texas beer, especially when there are so many good Texas craft breweries.

Owned by a San Antonio based family owned private company, brewed in Texas... Sounds Texan to me.

Shiner is good for what it is. It's macro-beer, based on production volume, but most of their beers are pretty tasty.

Owned by a San Antonio based family owned private company, brewed in Texas... Sounds Texan to me.

Shiner is good for what it is. It's macro-beer, based on production volume, but most of their beers are pretty tasty.

You know what the make that never gets any hype? Bohemian Black Lager. That's a fine beer.

I am probably showing my youth here, but didnt some of the spouts have combination openers on them too? Much like the sharp point on churchkeys? I thought that was part of what locked the spout on them.

Over the weekend I found out that my 96 year old grandma is more open minded about craft beer and my homebrew than 80% of the people under 50 I have met and especially German folks my age (23).

I found that to be equally awesome and depressing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back