Ale and lager yeast co exist?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trizzle

Reaction score
As anyone tried using both an ale yeast and a lager yeast for the same batch to go for a unique flavor? Would it work?

There are some recipies that use multiple strains of yeast. Lager and ale yeast ferment at different temps, so I suspect the ferm temp you select will select one strain or the other. If you want to produce a unique flavor profile from multiple strains, try selecting 2 yeasts that are active at approximately the same temp. And there are also commercially packaged strains that are a blend of 2 different strains.

If you want to produce a unique flavor profile from multiple strains, try selecting 2 yeasts that are active at approximately the same temp.

This. Ale a lager yeasts have very different temp ranges, so it would not work. Or should I say not work very well. If you set it to the lager tempthe ale yeast would not really do anything. If you set it to ale temp then it would be too hot for the lager yeast and produce off flavors.

I did a Tripel that used 1214 and 3787 and it turned out great. So mixing yeasts can work.

Well, if you ferment it at ale temps, both strains would keep working. You'd get some fruity flavors and maybe some sulfur from the lager yeast.

If you ferment it at lager temps, the ale yeast will simply go dormant.

Is there a happy medium? Say temps to create both a slow fermentation from both?split the diff for fern temps for each strain? If its just cold enough for ales to ferment but slower and just warm enough for lager to still ferment but slower... Hmmm

I think I read in a brewing book once that "Steam beer", is made by using lager yeast at ale temps. Anchor brewing were the first ones to commercialize this, and now we have the ubiquitous Anchor Steam Beer.

Not that this has anything to do with blending yeasts per se, but I wanted to back Yooper up on the assertion that if you stick to ale temps, both yeasts should still be able to ferment.

You know, we did a Czech pils with 10 gallons and fermented a 1335 ale yeast with half of it at 54 degrees. Find an ale yeast that goes that low and it could work I'd think??

Pat

Latest posts

Back