A Tribute to Hunahpu

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A quick question for those who have brewed this recipe and/or another RIS. I used Mr. Malty and the recommended starter size is 5.32 liters with a stir plate (using Wyeast 1968 & plenty of yeast nutrients).

Wanted to know if I should plan on blasting this with CO2 a couple times during fermentation or if this will be able to ride out on its own after a good aeration on the front end. Thanks!

A quick question for those who have brewed this recipe and/or another RIS. I used Mr. Malty and the recommended starter size is 5.32 liters with a stir plate (using Wyeast 1968 & plenty of yeast nutrients).

Wanted to know if I should plan on blasting this with CO2 a couple times during fermentation or if this will be able to ride out on its own after a good aeration on the front end. Thanks!

Blasting with Co2 won't do anything.

I'd suggest a good minute atleast of PURE 02 before pitching, and then hit it again around 12 hours later. After that, stay out of it.

This was done with a liter starter with WYeast 1968 and one 3 min dose of O2. The first is 2 hours after pitching the second is 24hrs after pitching.

image-4101488491.jpg

image-4141129594.jpg

Exactly why I've yet to brew this, gotta get an o2 system. The paint mixer may not do for a 1.1+ beer.

Mine was done with a 1.050 starter beer, pitched the entire cake. Poured back and forth between two buckets and split the wort between them. At 18 hours, I combined them back together and poured back and forth again to re-oxygenate and split the wort again. I wish I had the oxygen set up, but it was on back order at my LHBS.

image-3371646476.jpg

I found all the Zhukov! No wonder they ran out so quickly, I wonder if they will do a bottle limit next year?

FermentNEthinG said:
I agree. Definitely gonna see those in about 8 months online for 69.99 a piece. "Properly Cellared" of-course!

No way man, that guy needs 72 bottles for his personal consumption, haha. No doubt they will end up on a beer auction site soon.

Brewed this one up last night and it went very well. I had MZ once before (probably close to 3 years ago) and the color seemed spot on...but you could also call it wishful thinking.

I think I barely missed the SG, it was calling for 1.137 and it looked closer to the 1.130 end. I made a monster starter so my attenuation might round it out.

I was hoping for a two hour boil, but it ended up being two and a half hours. I split my mash into two Igloo MLTs because I had two 5 gallon buckets full of grain after milling and the last thing I wanted was a stuck sparge.

The smell was fantastic throughout and was a fun one to brew up despite the huge boil. If I did this on the weekend I would have definitely pulled the second runnings, added a pound or two of DME and had another fantastic beer. I prepared for some huge fermentation activity and will report back on how things progress.

IMG_7185.jpg

photo (1).jpg

IMG_7150.jpg

IMG_5984.jpg

IMG_1983.jpg

kengetty said:
Brewed this one up last night and it went very well. I had MZ once before (probably close to 3 years ago) and the color seemed spot on...but you could also call it wishful thinking.

I think I barely missed the SG, it was calling for 1.137 and it looked closer to the 1.130 end. I made a monster starter so my attenuation might round it out.

I was hoping for a two hour boil, but it ended up being two and a half hours. I split my mash into two Igloo MLTs because I had two 5 gallon buckets full of grain after milling and the last thing I wanted was a stuck sparge.

The smell was fantastic throughout and was a fun one to brew up despite the huge boil. If I did this on the weekend I would have definitely pulled the second runnings, added a pound or two of DME and had another fantastic beer. I prepared for some huge fermentation activity and will report back on how things progress.

Looks good! Which recipe did you use? Looks like most people have done some variant of the 3 listed.

I used Skibb's recipe...I liked that it used all the grains mention off of the Cigar City Blog from when Wayne was first crafting the recipe.

5.25 gallon batch (70% eff)
OG: 1.137 (31 P)
FG: 1.053 (13 P)
ABV: 11%

13# 4 oz Maris Otter - 47%
5# 8 oz Munich II - 20%
2# 14 oz Flaked Barley - 10%
2# Chocolate - 7%
2# Roasted Barley - 7%
14 oz Black Patent - 3%
14 oz Dark Crystal (Hugh Baird) 150L - 3%
14 oz Crystal Malt (Thomas Fawcett) 60L -3%
3 oz Magnum (14% aa) @ 75 minutes - 80 IBU
Wyeast 1968 - 5 liter Starter

Is that hydrometer picture when you took your OG? If so, that looks closer to 1.106 than 1.130 to me.

How long should one condition a batch of this abv, before it would be enjoyable to drink?

elixir said:
How long should one condition a batch of this abv, before it would be enjoyable to drink?

TheJasonT said:
I'd say no less than a month.

I'm thinking more like 6 months to a year. I'm sure you could drink it before then, but you would probably wish you didn't.

I agree, even a regular imperial stout I brewed it takes a good 6 months for its to come together. It just keeps getting better after that.

I'm glad to have found this thread. I tried to make a big hunahpu esque RIS a few years ago and it turned out nothing like what I wanted! That is an amazing beer, and if you are within 5 hours of Tampa, or even more, you should consider the Hunahpu day, a great festival with lots of amazing beers that you may have trouble finding even if they were in your area! Fun day and great beer.

I had MZ last Saturday night at the tasting room and DAMN it is one of my favorites, super rich, viscous coffee, sweet toffee malts to back it up, and as thick smooth and chewey it isn't cloying at all! Amazing over the top yet balanced brew. I may just give this recipe a go as well, just get to get some MO malts...

Cheers,

I'm now 4 weeks into my secondary with 6oz Cacoa nibs and 2 weeks of chile and vanilla at scaled amount as printed on the barrell pic... Tasted today with coffee and vanilla notes...no chocolate or chile yet. Trying to decide if I should add more. Adding cinnamon today as well. Anyone else tasting yet.

After 6 days it looks like primary fermentation stopped at 1.050 - clocking in at 10.50%. I had a couple friends try the hydrometer sample and they were dumbfounded that there was no added coffee. Some big roasty/coffee and medium bitter chocolate notes. All my friends asked me to carb this one ASAP and were disappointed when I told them that I was planning on substantial secondary editions. I wish I had an MZ to compare and contrast, but this beer already stands on its own.

I am thinking of splitting the batches and aging 2.5 gallons on a oak spiral. Now to decide on what type of alcohol to soak the spiral in...

I'm now 4 weeks into my secondary with 6oz Cacoa nibs and 2 weeks of chile and vanilla at scaled amount as printed on the barrell pic... Tasted today with coffee and vanilla notes...no chocolate or chile yet. Trying to decide if I should add more. Adding cinnamon today as well. Anyone else tasting yet.

I have never really picked up too much chocolate or chile in the real hunahpu so I wouldn't worry about that. Over time everything will meld and blend and change though so you may pick it up eventually

Anyone in bottles yet? I bottled up 2 days ago. Tasting notes on bottling day: a bit heavy on the cinnamon and cacao. Can barely detect vanilla/oak/chiles. The astringency from the 80 IBUs and 6# of roast/choco has really mellowed out. It's been so long since I've had MZ and/or Hunahpu, so who even knows if I'm close, but it's a really good stout, that's for sure. Can't wait til it's carbed up and I can try one of these bad boys.

I'm planning to wax seal the bottles and then mark them with the year. I hope to brew a big ass stout every year and do verticals.

WhizardHat said:
Anyone in bottles yet? I bottled up 2 days ago. Tasting notes on bottling day: a bit heavy on the cinnamon and cacao. Can barely detect vanilla/oak/chiles. The astringency from the 80 IBUs and 6# of roast/choco has really mellowed out. It's been so long since I've had MZ and/or Hunahpu, so who even knows if I'm close, but it's a really good stout, that's for sure. Can't wait til it's carbed up and I can try one of these bad boys.

I'm planning to wax seal the bottles and then mark them with the year. I hope to brew a big ass stout every year and do verticals.

How much Cacao,vanilla, chile, and cinnamon did you end up using

image-396866349.jpg

Life is Like hit distro today in my area, they received the same amount as Zhukov, 1 case. It was a 1 bottle limit at $25 a bottle. If you are hoping to get some, better hurry up and get to your local liquor!

On topic: going to secondary this weekend, not sure on the additions just yet. I've been waiting for some feedback on how all of yours is doing.

I tried to get a bottle of life is like, but got to total wine before they got the shipment, left and they got it and sold out. Sucks.

So here is my hunahpu inspired recipe, I am thinking a 1lb of lactose I am aiming for a fg of 1.37-1.04. I know lactose isn't normally used in an imperial stout nor hunahpu, but I am leaning on their other imperial stouts, like the moat water and recent imperial milk stout with espresso.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
15 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 64.2 %
2 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.4 %
2 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.4 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.3 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 5 5.3 %
1 lbs Roasted Barley (500.0 SRM) Grain 6 4.2 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 7 2.1 %
4.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 8 1.1 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 9 1.1 %
2.00 oz Warrior [16.00 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 10 83.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 11 -
1.0lb lactose

Starting gravity 1.119 fg 1.037 US05 mash at 158 is what beersmith says but I was thinking 155, any suggestions?

That sucks. I know Total Wine on 50 got 4 cases today, is that where you went?

image-3772379894.jpg

My best guess is that Life is Like is from these barrels. My bottles date is 8/13/13, so that means the were in the barrels for 5 months!
Your beer looks good, I would definitely stick with the 49% base malt thing, that has to be where the ridiculous viscosity comes from. The only other stout I made used US-04, I definitely prefer the 1968. Last time I checked mine, it was sitting at 1.040 and you could taste it (in a good way). Moat Water is a awesome beer, one of my favorites. We have been toying with adding lactose at bottling, but we will start with half a pound and taste it. Mine will probably end up with bourbon oak, cocoa nibs, lactose and vanilla beans. Maybe.

Yeah. I got there super early and was too early. A friend went after and missed it. Worst part of cigar city is there isn't enough! Haha

Yeah I may change it. I am going for a possible glenmorangie Quinta ruban oaked imperial stout. I may make it plain first.

Got a bottle of life is like!!! Woo! Hey Allen you a member of the new semine county brew club? They are meetin next Thursday at busters bistro. I may head up there I'm on their Facebook page.

http://imgur.com/w08BLAk

First sample from a Jolly Pumpkin snifter.

Poured with one hand while my brewing partner was chugging similac from my other hand.

Appearance: viscous, black as night, dark head. Darker than any other stout I've had. Looks like a lot of carbonation, but that's probably from my sloppy pour. The head sticks around for the whole party, which was surprising.

Aroma: boozy, dark sweet malt.roasted bitter grains. This is a manly stout.

Taste: rich, desert stout. The spices take a back seat to a powerful malt presence. I'm getting it all, roasted grain, chocolate, hop bitterness, vanilla, even the tobacco flavor described on CCB's profile of the beer. You can tell it's boozy from the beginning to the end of each sip. As it warms up I get the dark fruit flavors, more booze and it feels like it gets blacker and thicker.

Mouthfeel: thick, sweet, alcoholic. Just right.

Overall: it's been so long since I've had MZ or Hunahpu that I can't even comment whether it's closer or not, but I can tell you I'm holding a delicious, powerful beer that don't take no **** from nobody. I wish I had ten gallons.

Oophaga said:
Got a bottle of life is like!!! Woo! Hey Allen you a member of the new semine county brew club? They are meetin next Thursday at busters bistro. I may head up there I'm on their Facebook page.

No, not a member yet. I was at buster's bistro last Friday for the first time, that place is awesome! See if they still have the Troubadour/Arbor Brewing collab, I believe the name is Mundus Vetas, it's a hopped up Rye Tripel, and it's amazing. I have my son on Thursdays, so I won't be making it up there.

WH- That is one glorious looking beer! I love the description dessert stout as well. I may have to brew a fairly close clone to yours from the looks of that picture!

Allen, if you have Facebook join their group. Its free and you can keep an eye open for meetups not on Thursdays or whatever. I haven't been to buster's yet, been wanting to though. I am hoping to make it up there Thursday.

WH- That is one glorious looking beer! I love the description dessert stout as well. I may have to brew a fairly close clone to yours from the looks of that picture!

I thought you already had one going, Ooph! I think the general consensus here is that skibb's clone is probably closer to the real deal. But yeah, you gotta brew one of them for sure!

Just been brainstorming. Will probably brew two weeks from today. Got a full fermentation fridge. We'll see, ill keep posted either way.

Wow, that photo looks like the real stuff! I am alwasy struck by how dark the head is on Hunahpu/ MZ and how oily black and viscous it is. That looks promising and I may have to get on to brewing this soon.....

WhizardHat said:
http://imgur.com/w08BLAk

First sample from a Jolly Pumpkin snifter.

Poured with one hand while my brewing partner was chugging similac from my other hand.

Appearance: viscous, black as night, dark head. Darker than any other stout I've had. Looks like a lot of carbonation, but that's probably from my sloppy pour. The head sticks around for the whole party, which was surprising.

Aroma: boozy, dark sweet malt.roasted bitter grains. This is a manly stout.

Taste: rich, desert stout. The spices take a back seat to a powerful malt presence. I'm getting it all, roasted grain, chocolate, hop bitterness, vanilla, even the tobacco flavor described on CCB's profile of the beer. You can tell it's boozy from the beginning to the end of each sip. As it warms up I get the dark fruit flavors, more booze and it feels like it gets blacker and thicker.

Mouthfeel: thick, sweet, alcoholic. Just right.

Overall: it's been so long since I've had MZ or Hunahpu that I can't even comment whether it's closer or not, but I can tell you I'm holding a delicious, powerful beer that don't take no **** from nobody. I wish I had ten gallons.

That is some dark head! I just had a Zhukov a couple of weeks ago

image-1333236467.jpg

image-2467398105.jpg

The head on yours looks darker, like brownie batter! Awesome job!

Back