A Tribute to Hunahpu

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ohh an added note, the us 05 I used was about a full two pints of yeast off a robust porter and was eager to eat it up, It fermented out in about a week and had a huge and vigorous blow off, finished low at 1.028 or so, I am assuming due to my 4+ hour sparge from hell.....

Brewing my recipe friday. From post #235. What does everyone think of the mash temp? 154 low enough to ferment down to 1.038? Any thoughts would be great. If it doesn't finish that low i could pull a cigar city trick and add coffee to up the bitterness and go for something different.

Well undershot my gravity by a few points, more than i would have liked. Ended up at 1.110. Maybe 1.112 if im lucky. Thinking of adding some boiled extract tomorrow(after cooling of course). Not sure if i should or just leave it and allow it to be what it is...decisions.

I'd let it ride. I re-read my gravity and it was actually an fg of 1.032. My of was "low" at 1.115 and it is viscous as hell anyway, true motor oil and absolutely wonderful

I'd let it ride. I re-read my gravity and it was actually an fg of 1.032. My of was "low" at 1.115 and it is viscous as hell anyway, true motor oil and absolutely wonderful

What he said. Mine came in at 1.114 and finished at 1.032. It coats the glass like chocolate milk. I will be opening the first tester bottle next Saturday.

Thanks for the reassurances, sometimes they are needed haha. I think i will be re-brewing the same recipe as well, doing a 120 minute boil to increase the extraction and maybe go for a third lb of extract to compensate for the efficiency. I am definitely still quite excited about this recipe, half will be oaked with El Dorado 12 year rum. Looking forward to your tasting notes Allen.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389140319.752710.jpg

Pow! Bottled on 12/1/13 with CDC-1, I poured fairly hard to get this much head. I'm getting tons of chocolate, the roast is less than I expected (I deviated from most of you by doing 2lb roast barley since my LHBS only had 625L), a little espresso and a ton of Irish whiskey (I did use quite a bit). Overall, much better that I was expecting, hands down, the best beer I have made. I can't wait to try a bottle next year to see how it changes.

Nice glass and gorgeous beer! I can't wait to give mine a taste and its still fermenting...

Hourglass is pretty legit. They are about five minutes from the in-laws too for a quick and necessary break. As far as your beer goes it looks great. I just bottled half my batch Sunday and am trying to be as patient as possible. I want to try a bottle at 1 month just to know how it stands. Cheers man

Hourglass is pretty legit. They are about five minutes from the in-laws too for a quick and necessary break. As far as your beer goes it looks great. I just bottled half my batch Sunday and am trying to be as patient as possible. I want to try a bottle at 1 month just to know how it stands. Cheers man

Yeah I've been to hourglass once so far. All the beers I tried were very good.

Nice glass and gorgeous beer! I can't wait to give mine a taste and its still fermenting...

Thanks, I was definitely ill-prepared to attempt a beer this big, but it came out really well. The mouth feel is a bit thinner than MZ, I'm sure that is due to my OG (1.114) coming in too low and the FG (1.032) following suit. I can't wait to try this again.

Edit: for those interested, CBC-1 did an awesome job carbing this up in 4 weeks.

Yeah mine had insane blowoff, made a huge mess in the fermentation freezer, even without the lid coming off! Cleanup and then more later. I wonder if it was the new oxygen setup that helped that along. haha. I am going to definitely rebrew and go for 120 minute boil rather than a 100, and more vigorous, and possibly up the extract to compensate for the low efficiency. I would Like a larger mash-tun but cant push things with swmbo

I am really happy to hear that the CBC didn't over carb or eat the residual sugars. Sounds like it works on only the dextrose. Perfect.

As did mine, about 0.7 gallons of my precious brew! And with a blowoff tube I still had a huge mess

I have no idea if this has been posted or even helps, but I was at the brewpub in Tampa this week and this was on a barrel head above our table:

Apple Brandy Zhukovs - 7/15/11
Hunahpu - 3/20/12
.15lb Vanilla Beans
.1lb Guajillo
.1lb ANcho
.2lb Pasilla
1Tbs + 2Tsp Cinnamon
1.9lb Cacao

So it looks to me they did a Zuhkov in an apple brandy barrel (there were a ton of Lairds barrel heads) and then used the same barrel for Hunahpu. Guessing there wasn't a ton of oak or apple brandy left in the barrel on the second use for a big stout.

Hope that helps.

i have no idea if this has been posted or even helps, but i was at the brewpub in tampa this week and this was on a barrel head above our table:

Apple brandy zhukovs - 7/15/11
hunahpu - 3/20/12
.15lb vanilla beans
.1lb guajillo
.1lb ancho
.2lb pasilla
1tbs + 2tsp cinnamon
1.9lb cacao

so it looks to me they did a zuhkov in an apple brandy barrel (there were a ton of lairds barrel heads) and then used the same barrel for hunahpu. Guessing there wasn't a ton of oak or apple brandy left in the barrel on the second use for a big stout.

Hope that helps.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389371865.703240.jpg

Those barrels are 55 gallons no? If so that is not much in way if spice for that much beer

Those barrels are 55 gallons no? If so that is not much in way if spice for that much beer

Yeah, they'll be around 55 gallons. I think I've seen them stamped as 53 gallons before though.

Dried spice will go a long ways, and it depends on how long it's aged in there too with the spices.

Is everyone currently using the recipe in the OP? I'm curious about bourbon aging as well. Can I sub a barrel for bourbon soaked oak chips? If so, what would a good volume of each be? Does this have a good cinnamon flavor? Lots of questions and I know I'll get answers. :) I look forward to brewing this one very soon.

Is everyone currently using the recipe in the OP? I'm curious about bourbon aging as well. Can I sub a barrel for bourbon soaked oak chips? If so, what would a good volume of each be? Does this have a good cinnamon flavor? Lots of questions and I know I'll get answers. :) I look forward to brewing this one very soon.

I don't know that anyone used the recipe in the op. I believe most of us used the recipe in post 30, with some minor changes here and there. I don't know the answers to the rest of your questions, but I'm sure someone else will chime in.

Has anyone brewed this using just the first runnings as suggested at the beginning of the thread? We are brewing this weekend with a partygyle of second runnings. I've never tried brewing with just first runnings before and trying to get an idea of what to expect. Any indications of efficiency with just first runnings? Thanks.

Has anyone brewed this using just the first runnings as suggested at the beginning of the thread? We are brewing this weekend with a partygyle of second runnings. I've never tried brewing with just first runnings before and trying to get an idea of what to expect. Any indications of efficiency with just first runnings? Thanks.

Well your efficiency will suck because it's just the first runnings.

That said, I haven't tried it. I might soon though, since I like to do double batch brewdays anyways. I could probably hit it a bit thin on the mash and knock back some really high OG 1st runnings.

My system isn't huge, only 10gal though, so doing 1st run only is a bit of a challenge as you wont get 5 gallons, but in the case of a huge beer you'll age, it might not be a bad idea anyways.

I'm sitting on 5 gallons of a similar RIS, very much so a Zhukov like clone that I bourbon aged with wood back in May of 2013.

I understand the efficiency will be low. Just trying to figure out how low. I have a RIS recipe with an OG of 1.125 and will be using the same technique, just splitting the grains in half and doing two mashes and end with the same final volume. Just trying to get a ballpark of what efficiency you get with first runnings, 50%, 60%, so I don't end with an OG of something like 1.160 and no chance of it fully fermenting.

If you can brew a 1.125 beer I would stick with that/what you know and just add DME to make up the gravity points

I understand the efficiency will be low. Just trying to figure out how low. I have a RIS recipe with an OG of 1.125 and will be using the same technique, just splitting the grains in half and doing two mashes and end with the same final volume. Just trying to get a ballpark of what efficiency you get with first runnings, 50%, 60%, so I don't end with an OG of something like 1.160 and no chance of it fully fermenting.

I'd imagine if you treated it like a brew in a bag you could get close to figuring efficiency by working backwards, at least for software purposes....

With my batch sparge I used a crap ton of malt and only got around 50 percent eff. I had a really low water to grain ratio though to get it to fit in my tun. The recipe I used is a fee pages back.

Here is the final product. It is very toasty and chocolate. Toffee and toast is strong secondary flavor. And the bitterness is very balanced for the malt viscosity. Super happy with the result and I'm not drinking another bottle for many months as I can see this aging extrely well ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390787830.500070.jpg. The pic doesn't do the head justice. It is much darker in person.

Cheers

I'd also like to add that I used american ale yeast to ferment this out and it is much too clean. Especially this young, it only has the faintest raisin and dark fruits now and with a good English strain it would really bring out the life in it.

I'd also like to add that I used american ale yeast to ferment this out and it is much too clean. Especially this young, it only has the faintest raisin and dark fruits now and with a good English strain it would really bring out the life in it.

Good points.

I used US04, as I didn't want to make a huge ass liquid starter of some 1968 or something like that.

Pitched close to 3.5 packs I think.. maybe 4 of US-04 in mine and think it turned out well...

I need to pull some off the keg and "test" tonight.. I'll snap a pic. It's around 9 months old now.

I brewed this up about 3 weeks ago:

14 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 49.1 %
5 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 17.5 %
3 lbs Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 3 10.5 %
2 lbs Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 4 7.0 %
2 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 5 7.0 %
1 lbs Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 6 3.5 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 7 3.5 %
8.0 oz Special B Malt (150.0 SRM) Grain 8 1.8 %
2.75 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 9 85.2 IBUs
1.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 mins) Other 10 -
1.0 pkg London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) [4.5L starter]

Measured Original Gravity: 1.123 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.035 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 11.8 %
Bitterness: 85.2 IBUs
Est Color: 81.9 SRM
60 Sec of pure O2
Mashed at 155

The last i checked it was down to about 1.040.

Took a sample from the keg last night of my recipe.

Brewed back in early/mid May 2013. Aged on some medium toast oak that was soaked with PVW bourbon for around 3.5 months or so.

It's mellowed out pretty well, but still has a boozy note to it, thankfully it's not a fusel note! It's around 14% ABV with the higher ABV calculator.

Mega thick beer too, it's a milkshake.

The head is like whip cream. I removed the keg from one freezer that was around 36-38*. Set it next to my keezer and put a connection on it. Pulled a pint, and then put the keg back into another freezer. Found my phone and took the pic. The head stay around for quite some time. Very dark mocha head, and the most smooth, tiny carbonation bubbles.

Brewed back in early/mid May 2013. Aged on some medium toast oak that was soaked with PVW bourbon for around 3.5 months or so.

It's mellowed out pretty well, but still has a boozy note to it, thankfully it's not a fusel note! It's around 14% ABV with the higher ABV calculator.

The head is like whip cream. I removed the keg from one freezer that was around 36-38*. Set it next to my keezer and put a connection on it. Pulled a pint, and then put the keg back into another freezer. Found my phone and took the pic. The head stay around for quite some time. Very dark mocha head, and the most smooth, tiny carbonation bubbles.

Looks good, the head on mine was considerably darker than your pic, the camera on my phone really lightens my pics up though, so I have to use a filter to make it look "normal".
What is the general consensus on using the alternate method on the abv calc? Mine is either 10.76 or 12.27 abv.

I actually think there is some relevance to the alternate method once you reach a higher ABV. Obviously without paying for a test, it's an educated guess.

My recipe isn't what was posted on here though, so thats why the head looks different. I used a different recipe I put together to try and mimic MZ and then found this thread back when it was getting going.

The two are pretty darn similar in appearance, head retention, and body. Mines probably a hair thicker in terms of body. My ABV is probably higher, but I also added demerara sugar, and did some bourbon aging, and I'm sure my OG was probably a bit higher, as I wasn't sure of my efficiency. It's hard to get a good pic without the light playing some tricks. MZ looks to have a slightly darker head.

Wow. I wish I had mine ready. Bottling half today and transferring the other half to oak cubes soaked in 12 year rum. The gravity was down to 1.04 last week , hoping it dropped another two points, if not Ill go with whatever. Already wjat to brew it again!

Also doesn't black patent and carafa lead to darker head?

Mine had neither and the head is stupid dark
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391182708.420618.jpg
I did run the pic through a filter because my phone really whitens all the pics, but that is the closest to the same color in person.

Recipe by chance? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Recipe by chance? Thanks

Sure!

18# Maris Otter
2# Roasted Barley
1.5# Chocolate Malt
1# C-120
1# Flaked Oats
.5# Black Patent
.5# C-60
1# Dememera Sugar @ 10min.

Used Nugget to bitter, roughly 2 ounces to get around 63 IBU's @ 90min

Used Northern Brewer at 30min for 30 IBU's.

Fermented it cool, around 63* with US04 because I was too lazy to make a huge starter.

Sure!

18# Maris Otter

2# Roasted Barley

1.5# Chocolate Malt

1# C-120

1# Flaked Oats

.5# Black Patent

.5# C-60

1# Dememera Sugar @ 10min.

Used Nugget to bitter, roughly 2 ounces to get around 63 IBU's @ 90min

Used Northern Brewer at 30min for 30 IBU's.

Fermented it cool, around 63* with US04 because I was too lazy to make a huge starter.

Thanks! Is that pale chocolate or regular?

Thanks! Is that pale chocolate or regular?

Regular chocolate, 350SRM I believe.

I use the pale and regular in my porters and lesser stouts as I like the milk chocolate note they give together, but in this recipe I figured it would be washed.

I would be right. It's got a heavy, tar like roasted note to it, very coffee and chocolate forward.

Latest posts

Back