I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got ten words in with a lot of typo fixing before I accidentally hit the send button on that last post.

I guess for me typing on this phone or trying to reply on my slow, really slow to respond laptop is a lot like brewing. You need patience and have to learn from your mistakes, you need to get your routine perfected.

Not sure how to analogize that to temp control but pretty sure brewing and typing successfully on this phone, must have some similar requirements.

Anyway. I love bacon, and cheese, and saurkraut and brewing. I am very happy to be among so many creative people with similar interest.

Dont mean to say we all love each of those things or that is a requirement to post here.

I suppose wh what y I'm trying to say while battling this effibg phone is

People of HBT are creative souls from all walks of life. I think much of that comes across In this thread and many others, in that I do not doubt

Cheers to all you good folks.

Very humbly,
Dan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437P using Home Brew mobile app

Speaking of bacon and cheese. I had some bacon wrapped stuffed jalapenos earlier. Delicious.

Salty savory bacon, a little jalepeno tossed in, you mentioned cheese. What kind?

Hmm. Not much there to dislike. Goning have to try it.

Grilled, oven, skillet?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437P using Home Brew mobile app

Bacon is easy and so tasty. I generally go to the savory side, I feel it differentiates it further from commercial products.

Savory is a good idea. I've been pondering what direction I should go. I even considered just au natural. Sometimes less is more.. Hmmm... I'll have to give this some thought.

Well, I've tried many variations of wrapped jalapenos to perfect the deliciousness...less explosions, equal cooking, different cheeses, cuts of bacon etc. These were split jalapenos, cut through the stem and hollowed out seeds answer veins with a small spoon. Leave the stem on. Fill with cream cheese that's seasoned and wrap the entire package so the entire jalapeno is covered by the bacon. Bake in the oven. A wire rack over a sheet pan ensures the bacon to cook evenly. So good.

Well, I've tried many variations of wrapped jalapenos to perfect the deliciousness...less explosions, equal cooking, different cheeses, cuts of bacon etc. These were split jalapenos, cut through the stem and hollowed out seeds answer veins with a small spoon. Leave the stem on. Fill with cream cheese that's seasoned and wrap the entire package so the entire jalapeno is covered by the bacon. Bake in the oven. A wire rack over a sheet pan ensures the bacon to cook evenly. So good.

Good info!

I like making them on the grill with apple wood smoke..

Just tried some of the kraut, all I can say is Wow! Really amazing stuff after only a week I'm going to enjoy tasting as it progresses, never again shall I suffer through a hotdog with some lifeless, bland,soft mess on it, not that I eat a dog very often.
Stauffbeir, I picked up a new vacuum packer, my old one the hinge broke and is a pain too use but still pulls a vacuum and seals. I was planing on offering it up to the general forum but since your in need of one cover the shipping and it's yours if you want it.

Just tried some of the kraut, all I can say is Wow! Really amazing stuff after only a week I'm going to enjoy tasting as it progresses, never again shall I suffer through a hotdog with some lifeless, bland,soft mess on it, not that I eat a dog very often.
Stauffbeir, I picked up a new vacuum packer, my old one the hinge broke and is a pain too use but still pulls a vacuum and seals. I was planing on offering it up to the general forum but since your in need of one cover the shipping and it's yours if you want it.

I really appreciate the offer, but I've already been shopping around. I'll likely buy one soon.

I almost tasted my kraut today, but I decided to hold out. It still smells more like cabbage than kraut. Next weekend I'm brewing brats, and I'll be piling some on..

I really appreciate the offer, but I've already been shopping around. I'll likely buy one soon.

I almost tasted my kraut today, but I decided to hold out. It still smells more like cabbage than kraut. Next weekend I'm brewing brats, and I'll be piling some on..

Just figured I'd put it out there.
Glad I did a big batch and see this being in a regular rotation.

I really need a vacuum sealer, and then I could make a few different varieties and freeze it.

I made 10# of kraut today. My plan is to can the excess. According to the webz, canning kraut does not require pressure canning, so anyone with some ball jars could do it. Canning will kill the bacteria, but it will allow the kraut to be store in the cupboard instead of the freezer.

BTW, Walmart sells a case of pint Ball jars for about $8.

I made 10# of kraut today. My plan is to can the excess. According to the webz, canning kraut does not require pressure canning, so anyone with some ball jars could do it. Canning will kill the bacteria, but it will allow the kraut to be store in the cupboard instead of the freezer.

Sauerkraut keeps very well in the fridge too. Might consider that 10 lbs might actually disappear when you know how good it tastes before you go through all that canning.

Would you still process the jars in boiling water for 10-15 minutes as you would with jelly?

I have lots of jars, so this might be a great idea for me.

I don't want 5 jars of kraut in my fridge. And maybe it's my "survive the apocalypse" mentality, but I love the idea of canning stuff.

PP, do you still have any leftover canned turkey?

I want to say something witty and traditional about canning and history because I think they have similarities.

My best corny shot, and for a cheesy affect or is if effect, (I rarely use those words correctly) I'm even going to make it look like a quote. ;)

Canning foods, and history books have a common bond - They preserve the past.

Feel free to add on. :mug:

Just the same way it tasted when it went into the jar. Exactly.

And that is a good thing. Right?. I remember reading your thread, was it here or somewhere else? Doesn't matter..

Somebody chimed in you could get botulism food poisoning from canning turkey.. Obviously that didn't happen cause you are still here. (got to admit, that particular post had me a little worried for you)

Glad all worked out well. Cheers to you for being a brave explorer on the food frontier. :D

And that is a good thing. Right?. I remember reading your thread, was it here or somewhere else? Doesn't matter..

Somebody chimed in you could get botulism food poisoning from canning turkey.. Obviously that didn't happen cause you are still here. (got to admit, that particular post had me a little worried for you)

Glad all worked out well. Cheers to you for being a brave explorer on the food frontier. :D

Naw, if the pressure cooker got to pressure and the canner's water boiled at that pressure then all the Clostridium Botulinum is dead. There was never any danger.

I'm going to make mustard when my seeds arrive and can the same way. When the kraut and mustard are done, I'm making sausage (brats) and homemade pretzels, and with my homebrew I'm going to have a homebrew home made Superbowl party.

affect or is if effect, (I rarely use those words correctly)
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I can never figure out the proper word to use with these two..
I'm going to make mustard when my seeds arrive and can the same way. .

Is there any specific type or grade of mustard seed that one should use for making mustard? Do you have a link to the seeds you ordered by chance?

My best corny shot, and for a cheesy affect or is if effect, (I rarely use those words correctly) I'm even going to make it look like a quote. ;)

You wanted effect. Effect is a noun. It's a thing.

Affect is a verb. It's an action word.

E.g., this post had an effect on you. It affected you.

If you are not clear on nouns and verbs, it won't make sense.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I can never figure out the proper word to use with these two..

Is there any specific type or grade of mustard seed that one should use for making mustard? Do you have a link to the seeds you ordered by chance?

Haha, did I give you the impression I know what I am doing? I don't.

I'm buying yellow mustard seed and brown mustard seed and making this recipe.

Last edited by a moderator:
You wanted effect. Effect is a noun. It's a thing.

Affect is a verb. It's an action word.

E.g., this post had an effect on you. It affected you.

If you are not clear on nouns and verbs, it won't make sense.

I guess I do know that. It's just that word to me is similar to peeing on que. (think random drug testing) I'm affected by having somebody watch over my shoulder as I'm trying to fill a sample bottle, the end effect is no flow.. Could somebody run some water?

How'd I do? :mug:

Edit. I think I screwed it up again.

I guess I do know that. It's just that word to me is similar to peeing on que. (think random drug testing) I'm affected by having somebody watch over my shoulder as I'm trying to fill a sample bottle, the end effect is no flow.. Could somebody run some water?

How'd I do? :mug:

Edit. I think I screwed it up again.

Effect was correct! Now go pee!

Pasting this from the "My Favorite Country Song" thread.

Good music for your late night listening. A short history lesson first.

Love that song McB - Great choice!

I was going to comment that I liked the original version by "CCR" better, but thought maybe I ought to check out if they actually were the original song writers and players..

Nope!

going to quote Wiki a bit.

"Midnight Special" is a traditional folk song thought to have originated among prisoners in the American South.[1] The title comes from the refrain which refers to the passenger train Midnight Special and its "ever-loving light" (sometimes "ever-living light").

Lyrics appearing in the song were first recorded in print by Howard Odum in 1905

The song was first commercially recorded on the OKeh label in 1926 as "Pistol Pete's Midnight Special" by Dave "Pistol Pete" Cutrell

In 1934 Huddie William "Lead Belly" Ledbetter recorded a version of the song at Angola Prison for John and Alan Lomax, who mistakenly attributed it to him as the author.

The song, as popularized by Ledbetter, has many parallel lines to other prison songs. ... Many of the lines appear in prison work songs

Folk/bluegrass musicians Wilma Lee and Stoney Cooper had a top 5 country hit with the song in 1959 as "Big Midnight Special".

Lead Belly, Big Bill Broonzy, Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee, Odetta, The Kingston Trio, Pete Seeger, The Beatles, Burl Ives, Big Joe Turner, Bobby Darin, Cisco Houston, Mungo Jerry, Van Morrison, Little Richard, Buckwheat Zydeco, Otis Rush, The Spencer Davis Group, Lonnie Donegan, Eric Clapton, Paul McCartney, & Creedence Clearwater Revival among others, have recorded the song.

Gotta admit, I had no idea this song has been around so long and sung by so many folks.

The version you posted above is awesome. Beforer you posted that, I had never heard the song from anybody other than CCR. Kind of sad to find out they didn't come up with the song, but eff me.. These guys sing it pretty darn well! :mug:

Pasting this from the "My Favorite Country Song" thread.

Good music for your late night listening. A short history lesson first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T00eJSQimIk

Cool, I had no idea.

Here's one I found a while back. The lion sleeps tonight was originally recorded by a group of very poor black dudes (Solomon Linda and the Evening Birds!) in Africa, 1930's. The entire story is here. BTW, that's Solomon at the front of the line, the tall guy.

Well done, Pappy! Seems the more I learn about music, songs, the more I realize a song I heard for the first time might not be a song sung for the first time.

Naw, if the pressure cooker got to pressure and the canner's water boiled at that pressure then all the Clostridium Botulinum is dead. There was never any danger.

I'm going to make mustard when my seeds arrive and can the same way. When the kraut and mustard are done, I'm making sausage (brats) and homemade pretzels, and with my homebrew I'm going to have a homebrew home made Superbowl party.

Homemade pretzels are awesome. Take pics!

Homemade pretzels are awesome. Take pics!

Here's a few I made in the past. These guys look kinda fat. I think I was experimenting with the dough. I use lye and have stained all the cookie sheets in the house with pretzel shapes. I don't recall why the pretzels in this picture are on a pizza cutter, but my wife's wrath might have something to do with it.

2011-11-06_at_09_48_30-51358.jpg

Those look really tasty PP!

I've made a few batches but used baking soda instead of lye. I was very meticulous with all my measurements, even weighed out the dry ingredients. I think the recipe called for a ten second soak in baking soda/water solution. Well, me being me, I figured if ten was good a 40-50 second soak would be better. Popped them in the oven and they came out real pretty. I didn't have pretzel salt so I used a little sea salt.

Their texture and looks was spot on but the 50 second soak was a terrible idea. They were way to salty even with all the salt brushed off. The next batches I only soaked the recommended time and they were delicious.

Those look really tasty PP!

I've made a few batches but used baking soda instead of lye. I was very meticulous with all my measurements, even weighed out the dry ingredients. I think the recipe called for a ten second soak in baking soda/water solution. Well, me being me, I figured if ten was good a 40-50 second soak would be better. Popped them in the oven and they came out real pretty. I didn't have pretzel salt so I used a little sea salt.

Their texture and looks was spot on but the 50 second soak was a terrible idea. They were way to salty even with all the salt brushed off. The next batches I only soaked the recommended time and they were delicious.

The baking soda shouldn't make them salty. It chemically burns the skin of the pretzel to give you a nice crunchy shiny surface. Lye does the same thing, but much more quickly (and it was shinier and crunchier in my experience). If your pretzels were too salty, you either put too much salt in the dough or on the surface.

The pretzels in the picture above look like they might have been baking soda pretzels.

Time for a completely sober post.

Computers are making us dumb. I have a HP calculator that has thousands of equations built in to it. I suppose I could plot a trajectory to the moon and back just with my HP.

So why is a calculator that has all of the abilities that mine does make me dumber? Because we do not have to think anymore just input the variables and hit enter. Instead of taking a equation and paper and pen to task for a great afternoon of thinking we have turned to having everything solved for us.

I love math I really do. It saddens me to think that much of the critical thinking that used to be involved with solving issues has disappeared. I think back about the skunkworks during the time that the blackbird was built. They built that bad boy with a slide rule and had to not only know the equation but understand how it worked. Those boys understood math :mug:

Please do not get me wrong as I know that many fine folks still love equations and try to understand WHY they work. But those of us who do think that way are sadly becoming fewer and fewer as more people depend on the machine to spew out the answer.

Getting off my pile of equations now and resuming a normal posting mode :D

Back